• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside boatman

For for some boatman updates from anyone still throwing them.

I picked one up on a whim and it is pretty nice even though its beefy. For me it flies like a cfr pd almost. Good in wind,more glide and good for fh shots. Havnt been sold on it just yet but its a nice disc for what it is if your in a windy round

I picked one up on a whim and it is pretty nice even though its beefy. For me it flies like a cfr pd almost. Good in wind,more glide and good for fh shots. Havnt been sold on it just yet but its a nice disc for what it is if your in a windy round

I was thinking about adding one as well. I really like how deep the rim feels

My buddy gave me a 176 tp boatman to try since I dislike bigger rims. It was straight beef. We were playing some safari golf, and unfortunately I threw it into the lake before I could really get a good feel for it. So I ordered a 164 tp boatman. I figured being that much lighter, it wouldnt be as much of a meat hook. Man was I wrong, this thing just wants to go straight then dump hard left. I was throwing into some decent head winds, and it just laughed, went straight, and dumped left. It reminds me of a cross between a fresh spd and the glow cpds I had, but not as domey as the glows. I could see it pairing well with a DD renegade for os and neutral/us duties if you dont like bigger rims.

My VIP plastic boatman has considerable stability as well. I can rip it hard and it will always fade back at the end with a vengeance. It has less meat hook than my C-PD and flies straighter longer. Good disc for a 250ft shot thats behind a tree....

Lol I've recently bagged this bad boy and LOVE it. Still have the CFR PD in the bag but my others are gone. Great disc

totally agree

Im finding this disc more useful than I initialy expected. It's good for a FH shot and I'm loving it in the wind.

it's currently the only westside disc left in my bag now that the sword has betrayed me one too many times.

So ive had more rounds in with the boatman and its starting to grow on me. When i can bh and fh a disc with ease,theres something good to be said about the disc. Not just because i can do it,just saying its not a one trick pony. My fh shots with it are straight as can be and still gets decent skip like a faster driver. Comfy rim and the wind fighting capabilities are a big plus as well. I wouldnt mind trying a tp boatman but the vip is nice and beefy so i dont think i need to bother for now.

Jumping in on the Boatman love. It's one of the few double digit discs I can control and throw far for both bh and fh. Also tournament plastic always looks beautiful and feels great, by far my favorite plastic next to ESP.

I have had a tournament plastic 175g boatman for awhile now. I also have a Z predator (found disc). For shots I need an overstable disc I prefer the pred. It is far more overstable than the boatman I have. The boatman I can get to actually turn with enough torque when I rip it with a forehand through. I don't have the same torque with a backhand so it typically seems to fly a bit more overstable in nature with my backhand.

Still with my forehand it will actually turn for me a good 15-25' off the initial line before starting its fade back after 250'-300' or so. I end up getting another 25-35' once the fade kicks in before it lands. So over all it ends up after the fade with my forehand to be just right of a line I threw it on. Basically it makes a pretty big S curve forehand shot for me. But yah it doesn't glide all that far once it starts slowing down.

How does this disc compare to the Long Bowman? I am hoping for a longer version.

Now that Ive had my tournament Boatman for a couple weeks, I'll say I like it quite a bit. It's definitely longer and a bit glidier than the Longbowman. I get really nice flex shot FHs with it. Not quite as much skip as the Longbowman, and it finishes straighter too. Great disc to FH.

Boatman

Threw a Boatman for the 1st time today. Brought it with me to the course to give it a look. Pretty nice, mellow driver. It has a somewhat slow flight for a speed 11. Distance is there. I'd compare the Boatman to a well beat Wraith (not as much hard late fade as a new Wraith). It has a bit of high speed turn and glides well. Very workable disc. It'll hold basically whatever line you put it on. Pretty gentle late fade. Not the sharp, dumpy fade some Wraiths have.

I don't really have a spot in the bag for it, but I found it useful the few times I tossed it.

Boatman: 11, 5, -1, 2. This disc was actually fairly close to the numbers Westside assigned to it. I think it has a bit of high speed turn (they didn't give it any).

Tried a VIP Boatman last weekend, very nice. Tons of glide, quite stable for BH and FH.

There are some unique physical differences that seem to set this one apart - one, the thing is very deep for a driver. Also, the diameter is noticeably wider than your typical thunderbird etc, with a max weight approaching that of a Roc or Buzzz.

Seems like a winner to me and has gone directly in the bag as a glidey, controllable stable hybrid driver. Very happy to have it, as I have not clicked with any other speed 10+ stable driver. Boatman? More like DOPE, MAN!

Slightly concerned it may be on the chopping block for when Westside makes their announcement.

Tried a VIP Boatman last weekend, very nice. Tons of glide, quite stable for BH and FH.

There are some unique physical differences that seem to set this one apart - one, the thing is very deep for a driver. Also, the diameter is noticeably wider than your typical thunderbird etc, with a max weight approaching that of a Roc or Buzzz.

Seems like a winner to me and has gone directly in the bag as a glidey, controllable stable hybrid driver. Very happy to have it, as I have not clicked with any other speed 10+ stable driver. Boatman? More like DOPE, MAN!

Slightly concerned it may be on the chopping block for when Westside makes their announcement.

I don't know a lot of folks who regularly throw Westside, but 2 that I do throw the Boatman. However, it is somewhat similar to discs like Riot and Blitz that got axed.

Over mold should refer to the excessive number of molds on the market.

I actually really like the Boatman. I don't bag that class of discs often usually skipping straight from a Stag to a Giant or War Horse but I really liked the amount of control you get for as long as it goes.

If the Stag didn't go so darn far for me I'd probably give it a shot in the bag.

Boatman is a great disc. I always bag one. My main driver is the Northman though and I throw lots of flex shots which northman excels at. As others have said swords are great too. I've just started throwing them and I'm very happy with them so far too. But I don't see myself not bagging a boatman anytime soon.

Just came in the Westside box, and my initial impression was positive but understated.

As I think about it, it might be a backup for my DD2, which would actually be a major coup for me. I'll have to throw it some more, but here's wot I think.

I love my DD2--a factory 2d I found on a course and instantly decided was a piece of trash. No idea what it even was until after some forensics with the dudes at Fly Greens. I ended up testing it and throwing it and just more and more realized it did good work. Then I realized it did good work every time, both FH and BH. Then I skip-aced with it. And now it's got an immortal spot in my pantheon and I dread when it becomes too beat or I lose it.

Anyways, I could see the Boatman that came in the mail today being this type of disc--doesn't blow you away with glide, but always seems to have the distance you need for the hole. Holds a BH line in the wind despite the temptation to flip and walk off. Takes a full send FH and planes out.

I'm not giving my DD2 proper love. It just ends up finding its way into my hand way more than I'd expect. I could see this Boatman being like that. I notice some particular overlap in flight characteristics and hand-feel.

Just came in the Westside box, and my initial impression was positive but understated.

As I think about it, it might be a backup for my DD2, which would actually be a major coup for me. I'll have to throw it some more, but here's wot I think.

I love my DD2--a factory 2d I found on a course and instantly decided was a piece of trash. No idea what it even was until after some forensics with the dudes at Fly Greens. I ended up testing it and throwing it and just more and more realized it did good work. Then I realized it did good work every time, both FH and BH. Then I skip-aced with it. And now it's got an immortal spot in my pantheon and I dread when it becomes too beat or I lose it.

Anyways, I could see the Boatman that came in the mail today being this type of disc--doesn't blow you away with glide, but always seems to have the distance you need for the hole. Holds a BH line in the wind despite the temptation to flip and walk off. Takes a full send FH and planes out.

I'm not giving my DD2 proper love. It just ends up finding its way into my hand way more than I'd expect. I could see this Boatman being like that. I notice some particular overlap in flight characteristics and hand-feel.

I'm surprised you like the DD2 so much. I always felt like that thing was like a worse Katana. Less glide, turn, and distance.

My Boatman is sitting at the bottom of the pond at Whippin Post. I underestimated the glide on it too 😡

Latest posts