• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Catapult

I picked one up as soon as they came out because I am a huge giant fan and I heard it is a less stable giant (currently bag 4 giants). I would say a less stable giant is right on the dot. It feels like a flatter giant in my hand. I would rate a new giant as 13 5 0 3.5. The catapult would be more like a 14 5 -2 2. The flight is slightly less stable than my least stable giant, but I can get around 30ft more with the catapult. The first day I had it, there was no wind and it was around 50 degrees. With the udisc app I measured a good amount of throws at the local soccer field. The least stable giant averaged around 425ft with the furthest being 460 on the dot. The catapult was averaging 450 ft, with the best being a 475ft bomb. I then tried a 360 and achieved my first 500 ft flat ground shot at 511 ft. Can't say enough about the catapult its great. It is the most reliably understable disc I've thrown. It will definately turn, but it's controlled and has a VERY straight overall flight when thrown with 400-450 foot power. Obviously this disc is no wind fighter, but it's in the bag for me for big anhyzers and tailwind shots. I'd recommend a catapult to anyone who can throw 350+ and are looking for bombs.

I love how the Catapult feels in the hand and really want to like it. Unfortunately at least my 168g TP is really really flippy. It is more US than my beat 169g TP King and that is saying a lot!

I kinda prefer the TP plastic so I was wondering if 172g would be substantially more stable. I don't really like max weight drivers, so if that ain't the solution then I may have to try the VIP.

I'd like to get that Trespass stability, but with a slightly faster disc. World and Giant are too OS while King, Catapult and Ballista seem too US. I could try the Cutlass and Defender, but was really hoping that Catapult would be it.

I would suggest trying some of the Air plastics. I kind of agree their is a gap between the huge rimmed drivers with Westside: World, Giant very os. Ballista and King are us.

I have a Air Giant 159 that is unbelievable but I wouldn't put it dead in the middle between that scenario. And you need some really good arm speed to get it to work.

I did have a 155 giant that was closer to that scenario but still couldn't work it into my bag. It might be the perfect solution for someone else though.

All by the way going up or down in weights is what we did in the stone ages. Now a days with air plastic, a slew of manufacturers, etc. you can find what your looking for. The other thought that came to mind was the blizzard boss.

Last edited:
I am giving up on them. When I hit them correctly, it is the exact flight I want out of a disc. However, I have not had as many griplock issues with all my other discs combined as I have had with these. Yes, it is likely operator error combined with mental issues, but when comparing against the Ballista, the issues are easily 6 to 1, if not greater. I put the Trespass back in the bag just for comparison; boom, no issues. It is regrettable because the Catapult instantly got 20 or so more feet than Trespass, but I am more than willing to settle for 390-400 but consistent throws versus erratic 200s diving into the rough that offset an occasional 410-430. For open field, I am going to stick with the Ballista because that too gets more than the Trespass. That was the deal, however, that I could get more distance with the Catapult than the Trespass without it having to be an open field shot.

I now have four Tournament mid 170s about to be put up for sale.

Last edited:
I would suggest trying some of the Air plastics. I kind of agree their is a gap between the huge rimmed drivers with Westside: World, Giant very os. Ballista and King are us.
Never been a big fan of Air stuff. It just gets very erratic in slightest of winds and beats in way too fast for my liking.

I put the Trespass back in the bag just for comparison; boom, no issues. It is regrettable because the Catapult instantly got 20 or so more feet than Trespass, but I am more than willing to settle for 390-400 but consistent throws versus erratic 200s diving into the rough that offset an occasional 410-430. For open field, I am going to stick with the Ballista because that too gets more than the Trespass. That was the deal, however, that I could get more distance with the Catapult than the Trespass without it having to be an open field shot.
Completely forgot that you were on a hunt for the same disc, the faster Trespass.

I have no issue with the Catapult rim, just with the stability. I guess the VIP could be the way to go so I'm not giving up on it just yet. :)

Catapult

Threw a tournament plastic Catapult (169g) in the field for the first time today. Observations:

Disc is slower than the advertised speed 14. I thought it flew more like a 12 speed. Fairly neutral driver. It wasn't really over or understable. I was able to rip it flat and keep it on a pretty reliable line. The Catapult would definitely turn and burn if I got too assertive on trying to anhyzer it.

Bit of a sluggish flier. Distance was good, but not remarkable. It felt like I had to throw the Catapult really hard to really flex it out at all. Glide was actually good. The Catapult hung (distance-wise) with the other discs I brought to the field today, but I still didn't feel like it performed as well as it could have. IDK exactly what I was expecting here. The Catapult definitely doesn't fly like the numbers printed on the disc. Its slower and less stable than advertised. Not even in the same realm speed-wise (or distance-wise) as the King or Destiny.

Very adequate straight driver, but it won't work for overstable use.

Catapult: 12, 5, -2, 2. Pretty neutral numbers. This disc actually reminded me of a beat star Destroyer. Very similar characteristics.

Latest posts