• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Giant

I throw Air and TP Giants. The Air Giants throw more like an OS Boss for me. A little bit of high speed turn (maybe -0.5) and a nice, hard forward penetrating fade. TP are a bit more OS than the Air, but still sneaky long and very predictable. It's an underrated disc for sure.

I use Giants as my OS distance to complement my Trespass.

Where I think the wind might be just a bit too much for my Trespass I will grab the Giant.

In my opinion into a headwind the Giant performs like my Trespass does in calmer conditions, which I find to be very nice.

I have 2 slime green, metal flake VIPs @ 170g.

In the past I had thrown my FR Forces in this slot, but those were a bit too HSS to get good distance even in a headwind. Giants are much more agreeable with my arm.

I use Giants as my OS distance to complement my Trespass.

Where I think the wind might be just a bit too much for my Trespass I will grab the Giant.

In my opinion into a headwind the Giant performs like my Trespass does in calmer conditions, which I find to be very nice.

Same exact thing. It's almost like a headwind trespass.

My VIP Giants are kickazz. I throw them slightly turned into a pretty raging wind and get some tight s curves that get WAY more distance than anything else I've thrown with a modicum of control into that kind of wind. I just got a TP Giant...Yesterday it was kind of ridiculously overstable, but still had good glide. I deflashed it and I'm anxious to see how it performs. I've been partnering it with a Champ Tern on one side and an Opto Stiletto on the other end...So as you can see the Giant covers a lot of that middle ground.

I realize that my last answer was purely about sanding down. How much different have you found the VIP to be from the TP. I've been hesitant to buy a VIP because the colors I see always suck, but I have a 172, 174 and 175 TP and the 172 is just now starting to get seasoned after a few months.

This disc needs some more love. I am seeing more and more people throwing it, but it still doesn't seem very popular. I use it for pretty much all FH shots over 375, or shots between 340-375 if I need the extra beef. I almost aced a 440' hole with it the other day. The disc literally spiked into the grass under the basket.

My TP is beating in beautifully, and I keep a fresh TP in the bag for a little more beef, but not VIP beef. Has anyone beat one of these in to the point where it isn't OS anymore?

Anyone have any ideas on what this disc isn't more popular?

Anyone have any ideas on what this disc isn't more popular?
I'm guessing they're super beef for most, which means that most aren't going to be thrown long enough by most to beat in to that sweet sweetspot. That's why I like the Air Giants. They fly like a bit more beat TP or VIP Giant.

That said, I've ditched the Giant and gone to the D2, as I get more distance off of VERY similar lines with the D2. I can't come to grips with getting rid of my Giants though because I always feel like I might want to come back to them! #discgolfproblems

On the first throw in a huge field my 172 TP Giant was so overstable it made me laugh. Broke in fairly quickly compared to Z Force I had bagged for awhile. Once it did it became very usable both BH and FH.

I have used it a ton this season and is flying very straight under power (0 to -0.5 HSS) with a nicely pronounced fade. Still fights headwinds readily but I have seen some turn in a crazy storm a few weeks back. I have been loving it not only for headwind max distance, but also for crazy skip shots under trees and even shorter extreme dogleg shots. I definitely plan to bag another and try a VIP.

These beat in like destroyers,primarily why i love them so much . By far my fav disc that i have in my bag right next to pd's. I prefer the tp's over the vip ,mostly because the vips are beefier. Im currently throwing my second tp giant that is finally getting some turn ,i lost my last tp right at the same time it was breaking in. My first giant however,became pretty flippy for this short period of time for some reason. It has a mild dome and all of a sudden started flipping easier for me but wasnt coming back as fast. I took it out for a few months and only recently put it back in because its nolonger flipping like it was oddly enough lol.

I love the glide it has,its just crazy how much glide it gets while still remaining quite overstable. Forward penetrating and great grip even for smaller hands.

Anywho,i agree that the giant isnt widely as popular because of how beefy it starts out. People are impatient most times and want an easy to throw disc right out of the box so they go with the lesser stable ones like trespass',swords' etc. Fine by me,more swords :)

im thinking of switching from cycling forces to cycling giants because i can't seem to find consistent flat OS forces.

I have one giant now and im loving it. one question though, when they start to break in do they lose HSS or LSS?

I love the glide it has,its just crazy how much glide it gets while still remaining quite overstable. Forward penetrating and great grip even for smaller hands.

I found this out today. The guy I play with throws giants, and gets pretty good results, but I never gave one a chance because I cant stand bigger rims. I dont have small hands, but big rims just dont feel comfortable in my hands, and I feel like I dont get a good rip. The Giant rim feels much smaller than the 2.3mm, it feels closer to a boatman/renegade in width. I picked up a 170 pink VIP with finnish stamp, partially because it looked awesome, but mainly just because I didnt have a beefy distance driver in the bag. Today it really paid off, as we had sustained winds of 20+ mph with gusts of 30. Escapes were basically useless except in the tailwind. The giant got a lot of use, it laughed when i threw it into a headwind and was exactly what I needed. On the last hole, listed about 500 ft, we had a side wind coming from the right, and I threw the giant on a huge anny distance line, and put it within 60. Easily the longest throw Ive ever made. Will definitely be picking up a TP one to break in and try to make my main distance driver.

I found this out today. The guy I play with throws giants, and gets pretty good results, but I never gave one a chance because I cant stand bigger rims. I dont have small hands, but big rims just dont feel comfortable in my hands, and I feel like I dont get a good rip. The Giant rim feels much smaller than the 2.3mm, it feels closer to a boatman/renegade in width. I picked up a 170 pink VIP with finnish stamp, partially because it looked awesome, but mainly just because I didnt have a beefy distance driver in the bag. Today it really paid off, as we had sustained winds of 20+ mph with gusts of 30. Escapes were basically useless except in the tailwind. The giant got a lot of use, it laughed when i threw it into a headwind and was exactly what I needed. On the last hole, listed about 500 ft, we had a side wind coming from the right, and I threw the giant on a huge anny distance line, and put it within 60. Easily the longest throw Ive ever made. Will definitely be picking up a TP one to break in and try to make my main distance driver.

I'm glad you saw the light. I really think that if more people had tried this disc it would be way more popular.

I have a seasoned TP that just straight up crushes. I love giants and I just got a sick batch from pipedreamtoys.

The VIP's are noticeably more overstable straight out of the box so a TP should be a great start!

I find that I can't decide between ESP Forces and VIP Giants for my OS Distance driver.

Been having success with both- And while I can't be sure, I think the decider will be whether or not I can live with the current production ESP forces being slightly less stable than my first run.

Tough decision between the two, really...

I'm glad you saw the light. I really think that if more people had tried this disc it would be way more popular.

I have a seasoned TP that just straight up crushes. I love giants and I just got a sick batch from pipedreamtoys.

The VIP's are noticeably more overstable straight out of the box so a TP should be a great start!

what weight would you suggest?

I love the TP around 170'ish . Makes it a little more manageable right off the bat. But if you want it for head winds, max weight VIP's are a thing of beauty.

Bringing this thread back.

I threw Wraiths exclusively as my distance drive, (I never gelled with destroyers) I finally threw a giant and it was the more overstable wraith I always wanted. The grip feels almost the same as a wraith, maybe a tad larger but still just as comfortable.

I got 2 168 TP's that are pretty darn straight with a hefty fade and 1 168 Vip that has -1 turn or so. I really like all of them. I don't think I'll be able to take all the wraiths out just yet but hopefully as the giants beat in they will hold that turn longer and hit the same shots as my wraiths. And the glide is out of this world.