• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What a fluke!

Woodpecker

Birdie Member
Yesterday afternoon, after playing 36 holes at my home course, I decided to practice my backhand throwing techinque.

I'm bascally a one armed bandit as I throw about 95% forehand because of bad knees so I'm lousy at backhands. I spray them all over the place with very little distance (240-280').

After throwing about a dozen shots, I was rooting around in my bag and pulled out a Champion Roadrunner which I just picked up a couple of weeks ago and have used a few times for throwing rollers.

Well, I rip it out there laser straight about 400' right on target! The throw felt good but not that good.

Of course, thinking I'd found the secret disc to cure my backhand problems. I got a little excited but to no avail. Another dozen throws with it were sprayed everywhere and no distance, dammit!

I guess I just happen to catch one. That throw will keep me trying alot more backhands in the future because I know it's in there somewhere.

This ever happen to you?

Woodpecker

when I throw forehand, yeah.

Shot 1: no control/off target
Shot 2: no control/off target
Shot 3: wtf? a roller that goes in a huge circle and leaves me in an even shittier position than before
Shot 4: A perfect shot, right on the line I intended and the right distance.

I have seen crazy distance jumps only to lose them the next day. :(

Yesterday afternoon, after playing 36 holes at my home course, I decided to practice my backhand throwing techinque.

I'm bascally a one armed bandit as I throw about 95% forehand because of bad knees so I'm lousy at backhands. I spray them all over the place with very little distance (240-280').

After throwing about a dozen shots, I was rooting around in my bag and pulled out a Champion Roadrunner which I just picked up a couple of weeks ago and have used a few times for throwing rollers.

Well, I rip it out there laser straight about 400' right on target! The throw felt good but not that good.

Of course, thinking I'd found the secret disc to cure my backhand problems. I got a little excited but to no avail. Another dozen throws with it were sprayed everywhere and no distance, dammit!

I guess I just happen to catch one. That throw will keep me trying alot more backhands in the future because I know it's in there somewhere.

This ever happen to you?

Woodpecker
I'm going to start crying because I shoot for 280:(......oh well I'll try not to let that effect my game today:D..... I'll hopefully dream of 400 when I sleep tonight;)......

I can never throw a midrange farther than about 150 feet. Ever. I can throw drivers in excess of 380 - 400 feet.

Occasionally, when left with a 150' upshot, I turn my midrange (whatever the flavor of the week is) loose for about 300'

What the hell? Hours in the field and I'll throw one midrange disc 225.

when i first grabbed a monarch i threw it like 450'... with a slight wind at my back. after that i can only get about 300' and occansionally a 400' but nothing like when i first threw it. it was so pretty.... just gliding fer ferever.....

thats just simple proof that you have the physical make up and ability to throw 400' but you have not learned the technique and consistency to do it every time

Blake T has said numerous times on the disc golf review site that anybody with proper technique can throw 350' (assuming no physical limitations)

I was out in a field test-throwing a number of different discs. On one of my last throws back to the car I hucked a Star-RoadRunner & it banked right & flew a longggg way. My longest throw of the day. But it was off-line because it turned over so bad. I need to figure that disc out.

I'm going to start crying because I shoot for 280......oh well I'll try not to let that effect my game today..... I'll hopefully dream of 400 when I sleep tonight...... Shazaun

Dam dog! That was harsh!

I can't throw forehand for my life, but I have gotten some "Straight outta nowhere" great shots when I needed em. I guess the DG Gods see fit, every once in a while, to tease us with a "OMG! Did you see that?!" shot. practice...Practice PRACTICE Baby, that's the key!!

I think that's just God ensuring you don't get too angry at your game, and keeps you coming back for more. It always happens in a crap round - and you have that one amazing drive or long putt that make you think, "Okay, I think I'm getting this." Then reality sets in on the next hole. Oh well, there's always next round...

"Well, I rip it out there laser straight about 400' right on target! The throw felt good but not that good."

At least yours flew in the right direction for you! My fluke bombs typically end up turned over way to the left (RHFH). The good thing is that you know that you are capable of such throws as Bazkitcase mentioned. Consistency is goal that were all working towards.

those "magic shots" are just glimpses of your actual potential- if you can do it once you can do it again (physically, at least). this is one of the basic tenets of dr bob rotella's "golf is not a game of perfect".

Woodpecker

bawl.gif

This almost makes me want to quit, well not really... I only get about 280', maybe 300' on a good day... Oh well, time to play...

How are you people measuring distances? The length of my throws varies by dozens of feet, not hundreds of feet. :confused:

Im fairly FH dominant as well (used to be almost exclusively FH) and have done the exact same thing. I've been working on getting my BH up to par and 90% of the time its shorter than it feel it should be or I'm waaaay off line like you said. Then the occasional crusher sneaks in to make that other 10%.

Its that random laser, like others have said, that keeps me working on it and knowing that i have it in me... I'm just not executing.

What few people tell you, is that distance is all in your feet.
Without the proper footwork, weight transfer and the rotation required to generate arm speed and snap is all but impossible.
If you want to workon your backhand, work on your footwork, learn to turn your back on your target, and reach as far back as you can.
Don't worry about where your disc is going until you get comfortable with your feet - then those magic shots will show up much more frequently.

go out a practice with your putter in a field, i do this and can throw my putter 300'. obviously your form was right for the one throw, pay attention to what you did and try to make it happen again. if you fail to get the distance note what was different from throw to throw. keep doing this and you will find the form you need to get the big distance.

use google maps and make sure to use the distance measurement tool. i start throwing at a point and mark them on my blackberry. when i get back to the office i import the throws from my google maps on my blackberry and it gives me distance for all my throws. not only will this let you know how far they go but you get a chance to look at your grouping. as a former marine we like to see good groupings.

when I throw forehand, yeah.

Shot 1: no control/off target
Shot 2: no control/off target
Shot 3: wtf? a roller that goes in a huge circle and leaves me in an even shittier position than before
Shot 4: A perfect shot, right on the line I intended and the right distance.

LOL... and ditto for me.

ERic