• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What about a new pro division?

Do you guys know why those age protected divisions exist? Its because there's a market demand for them. And one reason that there's a market demand for them is because a lot of guys in the 40 and up crowd don't want to play with 20 somethings that well, act like 20 somethings.

Oh, because that requires effort, and possibly a significant out of pocket expense that might not be recouped if not too many people are keen on the idea.

Thing is, as a unique one off event, that idea might work, but I don't think it would be very popular as a permanent PDGA competition structure used everywhere all the time, which seems to be what the OP and his associates here who want to rip out all the plumbing are aiming for.

Thank you

How's this for a concept?

Worlds... Worlds would consist of one division per age bracket. male and female divisions.

This would allow for all Junior divisions and all pro divisions.

Amateurs outside of the junior divisions would compete in other competitions, but not Worlds.

This would allow us to truly focus on the growth of the sport. I believe that children are our future.

It's not THAT crazy.

Someone explain to me why it is reasonable to require/expect people to play for money in order to play organised disc golf?

Some people enjoy gambling (which is why its called Open and not Pro). I know I focus more on my game if some cash is on the line, even if we are only playing for $5 each.

This only applies in the Open division. I am a big advocate of Am divisions playing trophy only and having reduced entry fees.

Some people enjoy gambling (which is why its called Open and not Pro). I know I focus more on my game if some cash is on the line, even if we are only playing for $5 each.

This only applies in the Open division. I am a big advocate of Am divisions playing trophy only and having reduced entry fees.

It's actually called Pro Open.

It's gambling in the sense that you're playing for your competitors' money rather than some outside purse. That's the same sense that labels poker as gambling.

And there's only so much control you have over the outcome. You can play to the best of your abilities, play the high percentage shot every time, shoot your best score possible, and still not win. You have zero control over how well the other competitors play. It's a competition where your absolute best isn't always enough to win and you have to rely on others playing less than their best.

It's gambling in the sense that you're playing for your competitors' money rather than some outside purse. That's the same sense that labels poker as gambling.

And there's only so much control you have over the outcome. You can play to the best of your abilities, play the high percentage shot every time, shoot your best score possible, and still not win. You have zero control over how well the other competitors play. It's a competition where your absolute best isn't always enough to win and you have to rely on others playing less than their best.

Yep...this. When I play Open with a rating 40 points or more behind others in the division I am gambling on having a great day and they not playing their best.

Sprintermatt....so you are suggesting combing Pro and Am Worlds or am I misinterpreting your post?

no, I am suggesting dropping all the advanced divisions...

So there'd be Juniors and Pros. Once you are no longer a Junior, your chance at Worlds is as a professional.

Leave the Advanced divisions to some other event. the young and old divisions have similar matching ratings/course needs. Merge them together. But if that is the case, we will be pushing our younger players into competing on this ultimate stage, along with the pros. Each division has a window of eligibility, except for Open.

It really does showcase the purest our game has to offer. The up and comers, the aging stars and the top division. Plus all those juniors get to shmooze with the pros at the flymart... and who will spectate? ADVANCED, INTERMEDIATE and RECREATIONAL players.

I get you now.

Interesting concept, but I don't know how well it would go over at this time. It would require some pretty extensive research on demographics of certain areas and whatnot. But it is doable.

This scenario is all about creating a more competitive junior disc golf universe. The more we appreciate juniors, the more we will expand. They should not be a sideshow to the Advanced World Championships.

Except its been largely proven that they don't, unless they also happen to be a TD or vendor, which can be just as easily done by sub-970 rated players.

Prodigy getting all those players on board got me interested in buying their plastic. I might have still tried it out, but not on the scale I did. I thought there must be something to their discs to get all of those players to jump ship and come over. There was not.

I'd concede that most DGers don't know about the super pros. And that's probably where a lot of disc sales come from. But there are people like me who will give something an extra chance if he sees Feldberg saying the World is the best thing since sliced bread. And I talk people into getting X disc over Y disc every once in a while.

So I think there must be an increase they cause, even if it's not a great one. And it might have more to do with their PR ("in the bag" etc) than their playing, but their play affects how much we'll listen to them.

Where's the proof they don't? I think I remember what you're talking about, but not near enough to quickly research and find what I'm looking for.

** I think you could make a parallel between pro disc golfers and bow hunters or fishermen.

no, I am suggesting dropping all the advanced divisions...

So there'd be Juniors and Pros. Once you are no longer a Junior, your chance at Worlds is as a professional.
In other words, do away with the biggest cash cow event that a local club could possibly put on provided that they have the resources to man it.

I hate to break this to you, but most Junior players get to Worlds because their adult parent(s) who are also playing provide the money and transportation to get them there. Take away that adult's right to play and junior might have to stay home too and settle for some regional B-tiers instead.

It really does showcase the purest our game has to offer. The up and comers, the aging stars and the top division. Plus all those juniors get to shmooze with the pros at the flymart...
It takes away people who are at the heart of Am Worlds and makes the whole thing possible. How much merch do you think gets sold at an Am Worlds flymart? Now try to imagine 75 percent of the customer base not there.

and who will spectate? ADVANCED, INTERMEDIATE and RECREATIONAL players.
No, the spectators will largely be relatives of the players, other players who aren't playing at the moment, mixed in with perhaps a few curious locals. People simply don't travel far to be spectators for a sport when they could expend far less money to actually play it somewhere else.