• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What discs to buy?

So from the advice from this these are the discs we're planning to get:
175 z buzzz
175 dx roc
176 xd
And a heavier driver still undecided and still have $20 left. Any other suggestions?

Try a heavier leopard, maybe 170g. And yes to rocs and buzzzes.

If you want a great all around Fairway driver: F5, TL, Eagle. Distance: Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie Mid: M4, M3, Putter: PA4 Pa1 Warden

find out when leauges are and go there early there is almost always someone selling used disc . they will probably let you throw them a few time before you buy, 5-10 will get you most used disc , and they are allready broke in.

I'd just grab a roc, a buzzz, and a straight putter like the aviar.

We've heard too many good things about roc, buzzz and xd to pass them up

I putt with XD's and into the wind, they will lift up in an unpredictable manner. Another Innova putter with a similarly shallow rim that isn't so prone to that is the Rhyno. I carry one of each.

Since we are talking putter weights - how much difference is there in 171-175g? I picked up 2 171 aviars to start (and I like them) and want to grab a few more for putting practice (more putts, less walking). I am now wishing I picked up 175g so and if so I'd have just picked up 4 more to have 6 of the same for practice. So now my choices are:
- Just stick with the 2 171s and stop being lazy
- Pick up 4 more 171 (assuming the 4g doesn't make THAT much of a difference).
- Pick up 4 175 (assuming the non-windy flights are close enough that it wont mess me up to have the diff weights)
- Sell / trade / gift the 2 171s and pick up 6 175s to have a stack of max weights.

What would you do? Still a long ways to go until it warms up here in NY so I'm stuck with basement practice (homemade basket & ~33 ft of basement to play with for putting practice).

Since we are talking putter weights - how much difference is there in 171-175g?

Not enough to matter until you're sinking 30' putts at an 80% or better ratio and before you pick up thick stacks for practice, make sure that you have the dicipline to practice enough to make a difference.

If you're just going to toss for 5-10 min every time that you're at the course before hitting it, two putters should be plenty.

Not enough to matter until you're sinking 30' putts at an 80% or better ratio and before you pick up thick stacks for practice, make sure that you have the dicipline to practice enough to make a difference.

If you're just going to toss for 5-10 min every time that you're at the course before hitting it, two putters should be plenty.

So would you recommend picking up additional 175s or 171s? I think i'll practice enough as I have a basket in my basement and work from home most days...so I've been spending 2 x 15 min breaks each day practicing.

175's and I find that 5 practice putters of the same mold and plastic is plenty.

I have 3, 175g JK Aviars sitting around because they ended up NOT being my go-to putter after experimenting with a few others after I bought them. I still pack one if the course has more than a couple of holes under 260' to drive with but for the most part, they are dirty little dust collectors.

My friend and I have recently picked up the sport about two months ago and absolutely love it! Our local course's average distance is about 300 to 350 feet per hole and we are in need of some new discs. This is a description of our local course:
Family friendly course for players of all skill levels. The front 9 is grassy and open. Shots fly along hillsides, tree lines, up and down the hills and as an added technical hazard, it's usually breezy in the afternoons.
The back 9 is moderate to heavily wooded, with a few tight tunnel shots and two long downhill "Top of the World" shots. Wind and elevation changes add to the challenge.

We are in the market for new discs and our current line up consists of:
150 dx leopard
150 dx shark
150 dx aviar
beat up 175 innova champion disc we found with no name while playing one day.

We have about $40 to spend on new discs and were wondering what you guys would recommend to us and why? (I throw about 300 RHFH and 250 RHBH and my friend throws 275 RHFH and 200 RHBH)

Funny you should ask! We just made a video about this :) Part 2 will cover drivers and comes out next week.

Latest posts