• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What discs to buy?

dodgers2036

My friend and I have recently picked up the sport about two months ago and absolutely love it! Our local course's average distance is about 300 to 350 feet per hole and we are in need of some new discs. This is a description of our local course:
Family friendly course for players of all skill levels. The front 9 is grassy and open. Shots fly along hillsides, tree lines, up and down the hills and as an added technical hazard, it's usually breezy in the afternoons.
The back 9 is moderate to heavily wooded, with a few tight tunnel shots and two long downhill "Top of the World" shots. Wind and elevation changes add to the challenge.

We are in the market for new discs and our current line up consists of:
150 dx leopard
150 dx shark
150 dx aviar
beat up 175 innova champion disc we found with no name while playing one day.

We have about $40 to spend on new discs and were wondering what you guys would recommend to us and why? (I throw about 300 RHFH and 250 RHBH and my friend throws 275 RHFH and 200 RHBH)

:doh:

grab premium plastic of any neutral mid

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

If you want some premium plastic, that is extra durable for the woods you play in, check out MVP discs. A Volt, in particular, would serve you well.

Welcome to the site!

If you want some premium plastic, that is extra durable for the woods you play in, check out MVP discs. A Volt, in particular, would serve you well.

since our front 9 is more open than the back 9, what else would you personally go with?

Don't worry about premo stuff just yet. Grab heavier versions of your aviar, shark, leopard and keep learning. Perhaps throw in a Pro Leopard as well and just learn shot shaping. Also, read more in the technique sections. Have fun!

Don't worry about premo stuff just yet. Grab heavier versions of your aviar, shark, leopard and keep learning. Perhaps throw in a Pro Leopard as well and just learn shot shaping. Also, read more in the technique sections. Have fun!

Since it is almost always windy, what weight should we go up to?

Since it is almost always windy, what weight should we go up to?

My rule of thumb is the slower the disc the heavier it needs to be.

175 Aviar
171-174 shark
168-170 Leo

*Also, if you have windy days, snag a DX Banshee, DX Viper, DX Whippet, these guys are great in the wind. Should be in the same weight range as the Leo. All DX.

Discs don't improve your game, YOU do. I wish I started out with that advice.

Z buzzz ss or just a regular z buzzz? sorry about all the questions, we just want to be sure we get discs that will help us improve our game.:)

my vote would be the regular z buzz.

as someone else said at some point you will probably want to get a heavy putter and heavy everything else. you could skip the premium plastic and get d plastic and pro plastic

but if your just starting out one way to stretch your money would be to get x outs of whatever your looking for. then maybe you could sneak one more disc in there to try out

175 Aviar
171-174 shark
168-170 Leo

*Also, if you have windy days, snag a DX Banshee, DX Viper, DX Whippet, these guys are great in the wind. Should be in the same weight range as the Leo. All DX.

Winning advice here. IF you snag a roc and an eagle/teebird to pair with your shark and leo, you have an extremely workable bag.

175 Aviar
171-174 shark
168-170 Leo

Thanks for the advice. We have just built a basket and have been practicing on it everyday for about 30 minutes and out of the banshee, viper and whippet which would work best for us since we are still learning the game?

my vote would be the regular z buzz.

as someone else said at some point you will probably want to get a heavy putter and heavy everything else. you could skip the premium plastic and get d plastic and pro plastic

but if your just starting out one way to stretch your money would be to get x outs of whatever your looking for. then maybe you could sneak one more disc in there to try out

We've been looking at x outs and that's why the buzzz vs buzzz ss came up and I think we'll take their advice on the heavier discs. Thanks for your help!!

40 dollars can almost fill two small bags especially if you grab xouts too.

Aviar
Shark
Leo
Viper

All you will need, and as they beat in don't get rid of them, they will be great for "turnover" shots.

Honestly, don't bother with a super overstable disc like banshee, viper, whippet. Get a teebird or leopard instead.

40 dollars can almost fill two small bags especially if you grab xouts too.

Aviar
Shark
Leo
Viper

All you will need, and as they beat in don't get rid of them, they will be great for "turnover" shots.

That's what my uncle who's been playing for years has told us and thanks for all your help!

Latest posts