• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you "approach " with?

Outside of 50ft I use a Roc; KC Pro for straight and anhyzer, Special Blend for hyzer.

Skeeter, I can keep it straight and control it real well. My go to apprach disc.

Nothing is as accurate as a DX First Run Skeeter from 150'. You don't have to crank it to get it to go straight like you do a Roc. You just aim and shoot and it lands within 10' of the basket 99% of the time.

Every time I play I get compliments on my approach abilities and I always respond with "It's not me it's the disc".

Just stay away from star skeeters. They are flippy.

I'll second that......Was throwing skeeters for approach shots for a while, and at first they were straight as an arrow....LOVED them, but after some breaking it, got VERY flippy. So replaced it with a new one....same thing again. I thought about moving up on weight, but ended up going to a Champ panther, and have been very happy with that. Also a champ coyote is very good.

I think everybody forgot about the Birdie.... glides well and sticks nicely if you don't make it in the basket... I also like an Omega putter on the shorter side of an aproach

Nothing is as accurate as a DX First Run Skeeter from 150'. You don't have to crank it to get it to go straight like you do a Roc. You just aim and shoot and it lands within 10' of the basket 99% of the time.

Every time I play I get compliments on my approach abilities and I always respond with "It's not me it's the disc".

I agree. My Skeeter is starting to get that way as well. May be time to get a new Skeeter.

Inside about 75 feet, I have really been liking the Harp. Outside that distance my go to disc is a Buzzz. If you need a disc with more fade or a harder fade because of trees or wind, I have switched from my former discs in this slot to a Quake which has become my go to overstable mid.

Nothing like resurrecting a 13 year old thread...

It was interesting to see what people were using in 2008 compared to now though.

It's pretty a pretty interesting necrobump though, back then people mostly threw straight at the pin with a putter (or maybe a midrange). Nowadays I think it's way more common for people to use overstable approach discs like the Zone. It's almost old school to throw a putter right at it.

I also found those old posts interesting.
Used to use a 172g R Pro Skeeter myself back in the day.
As the others have said, once broken in, the disc becomes a flippy spiritial beast. My mastiff pup later ate the poor thing
ending it's lengthy time in my bag.

I now use an R Pro Dart and an MVP Ohm depending on conditions. An older Z plastic Mcbeth Zone is bagged and very handy for the approach.game as well.

Lol, I posted in this thread during the two weeks I tested out a VooDoo for putts/approaches 13 years ago. I still just throw my putter for approach shots, though.

I also found it interesting that nowadays more players approach with a more overstable putter, myself included. Champion AviarX3 when I have the room. I only throw the old school, straight approach if I'm forced to (DX Aviar3).

Depends. On the approach.

If it's grassy and going to sit a putter or a mid like a buzz or truth.

If I want it to skip something a bit flatter like a beast.

At 50' -75' I'm probably looking to drop an ss Wizard close enough to insure I can make it with a half bid at making it.

Beyond that I'm looking to layup an easy finish. That's going to vary based on the line options.