• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

Since this is about finding discs, a LE Officer will never arrest some one for not returning a found disc. So the stealing a pack of gum isn't even a true comparison.

A grocery store employee or a good Samaritan would need to alert a LE Officer to the pack of gum that is being stolen.

Likewise, a park employee or a good Samaritan would need to alert the LE Officer that someone is stealing a disc.

Either way, the LE Officer may ask for proof of purchase/confirmation of ownership. If the name and phone number on the disc do not match the person holding the disc, we are still talking about a theft. Would it really be that difficult to call the number on the disc? If the person's cell phone starts to ring...that would probably be good enough for any LE Officer to confirm proof of ownership.

Don't forget....at the end of the day, all of this may be considered a moot point if people applied the simple, yet important lessons learned in kindergarten. :thmbup:

I've never heard of anyone complaining about that. I mean really think about how you sound. "I never lose a disc I'm just tooo good at finding them, it sucks." :wall:

but i just fill up my trunk holding discs while i try to return them. worst part is if i lose a disc i walk around for hours til i find it. so that is what i mean. i guess i don't understand some of my friends that lose two discs a week every week there bag is different....usually they are partying and forget them.

i like place like the grange where you find a disc, call and say it is found discs at the grange!!! that is what i like. and the grange is cool course too

i literally have found one friends wraith three seperate times and returned it too him...he told me it is in a lake now so i probably won't find it a forth time.

Here we go again... :popcorn:

A disc and car are not comparable. I am not saying don't return discs I am saying be reasonable with the discussion of returned discs.

They are when the issue is Right vs. Wrong.

Me too! ;)

The next time I see a car parked on a street in the same place for more than 3 hours in the rain, I am going to claim it as abandoned. There is no way anyone would think it's OK to leave a car out in the rain like that!

That was my plan. I'm going down to the bar district about 7 a.m. I'll bet that some of those cars, the owners searched for a while, couldn't remember where they parked, and left, thus abandoning them.

They are when the issue is Right vs. Wrong.

I have already said people should return discs.

Let's compare it to what it is, like finding a lost disc. It's not gum or a car, it's a disc and nothing else compares to it. :p

In fairness, I was just addressing part of the Disc Diver's Creed that says that once someone has quit looking for his disc, he has relinquished ownership of it. You can read this often---including earlier in this thread.

I don't deny that an owner or law enforcement may put greater effort into other cases, or that the disc divers are likely to get away with keeping the discs they find.

I just ask about this Abandonment Law that they cite, and whether the same law of ownership applies to other personal property, or if there's a special Abandonment Law that applies only to discs.

If you want your disc, go get it. If you leave it, you left it. That's your responsibility in the matter. For the person who finds it, they choose to do the accepted right thing or they don't. The level of anger and indignation you are entitled to after you leave the course is about the same as when someone is infront of you in the fast lane doing. 55.

And in the case of uninked discs?

It would be a long shot for any reasonable person to return an uninked disc to it's original/former owner.

You could ask around while at the course to see if anyone has recently lost something or possibly hand it over to the people who run the course if they have a lost & found box, but most courses do not have that option.

You could also post on the local forum, if one exists, that you found a disc on hole X at course Y. That's how I got a Valkyrie back when I was really new to the game and didn't mark discs.

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, probably every time a thread like this rears up, but I'm going to ask anyway. For those that argue "finders keepers" and "lost discs are abandoned discs", do you ink your discs at all? I mean, if people are truly, willingly abandoning discs forever when they are lost/left on the course, whether it is in water or not, why are people putting their name and contact info on the discs in the first place? Seems to me the practice of inking a disc with contact info is expressly for the purpose of having the disc returned if it is lost. No different, really, than putting an ID tag on a piece of luggage when you travel.

Now I know that putting your name on a disc is helpful for ID purposes during play, i.e. to differentiate your green Nuke from my green Nuke. In fact, in tournament play, it is required to put some kind of identifying mark on each disc in play otherwise they are illegal for use. But that doesn't mean it has to be a name AND contact info. The rule just says a unique mark, which could be initials or even just an X or a dot. So where does the practice of putting a name and contact info (phone, email) come from but a simple desire to have the disc returned if lost?

So forget the arguments regarding legalities and what-not, it boils down to personal integrity. If you find a disc that has contact info on it, and you don't make at least a minimal effort to contact the person or turn it into a lost and found (if available), you deserve to have your integrity questioned. Any arguments to the contrary is just rationalization for dishonesty.

I can't believe this thread is still going, and as always any thread having to deal with lost discs turns into a "what you do when you find a disc with ink or not" morality superiority game. Who has the best moral route, and who breaks the rules. Bottom line, what do you say to a disc diving card member?

Nothing! Nothing you say is going to change any persons mind. You could explain the errors in their way, how what they're doing is not very "cool bro", and make the round awkward. Or we could just revisit 1st grade. If it aint your business, keep your nose out

Considering every disc in production is less than $20.. no loss.

Sure it may have been beat in almost perfect.. but it is replaceable.

Now those throwing $100+ CE and other rarities.. or those discs you project feelings towards.. don't throw what you can't lose.

Considering every disc in production is less than $20.. no loss.

Sure it may have been beat in almost perfect.. but it is replaceable.

Now those throwing $100+ CE and other rarities.. or those discs you project feelings towards.. don't throw what you can't lose.

Agreed that it's not a big deal....but I always find this line of reasoning a bit curious.

The owner shouldn't care about losing the disc, because of its low value.

But the finder should care about keeping the disc, because of its value.

Agreed that it's not a big deal....but I always find this line of reasoning a bit curious.

The owner shouldn't care about losing the disc, because of its low value.

But the finder should care about keeping the disc, because of its value.

If I find a quarter I'm not going to throw it away just because it's only a quarter.

Where's Brian and his bag o'tricks?:popcorn:

images

If I find a quarter I'm not going to throw it away just because it's only a quarter.

That quarter's owner isn't easily identified. Unless you saw me drop in, in which case I trust you'd offer it back to me.

I think it's interesting that the finder of a disc with the owner's name and contact information would reason that, "It's of such small value that the owner won't want it back. But it's of enough value that I don't want to offer it back to the owner."

That quarter's owner isn't easily identified. Unless you saw me drop in, in which case I trust you'd offer it back to me.

I think it's interesting that the finder of a disc with the owner's name and contact information would reason that, "It's of such small value that the owner won't want it back. But it's of enough value that I don't want to offer it back to the owner."

Do you agree that you and I are not disagreeing as much as it sounds like? ;)