• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you think a scooby is? Also, what's the weirdest technique you use?

Also, thumber rollers for short up and down trouble shots are highly under-utilized in the disc golf community. When you have to work left to right and have nothing in the air it's excellent. Has gotten me out of a ton of trouble. I see a lot of people trying to throw cut forehand rollers which require perfect angle and speed to turn the opposite way of the natural turn. Much easier to let the disc do the work. Certainly harder to generate power as you have to release on the opposite angle of a forehand roller requiring the shot to be thrown in an awkward over the head type of release, so you don't get near as much body/snap into it. But for short up and downs it's a great shot to learn. Takes about 30 minutes - 1 hour in the back yard to get that awkward release down. My local crew always jokes about my thumber roller shot because I always make a spectacle and make sure everyone is aware it's coming.

This is pretty much the exact scenario I was using the shot in the OP for. I'll have to test this one out too! :hfive:

I call them Grenades and throw them from time to time. Yesterday I used it to get into the green on hole 7 Bohart Upper(The Key hole) as opposed to trying to hit the keyhole gap from about 90' which is only 6' wide. The trees are about 30' tall so its a perfect time.

Other times I'll use it in very high winds, like need the disc to get back to the ground windy. I'll also throw a similar shot with a FH grip, kind of a Thumber/FH Grenade hybrid for the same reason, need the disc to get to the ground. Also works well on sketchy island shots as they usualy won't skip. I use an Z FLX Zone for those situations to cut back on the potential roll away from hitting vertically.

Other non-traditional shots I use from time to time are up-side-down putts, again, for very windy days & turbo putts, pretty much only for get out of jail putting situations.

What do the rest of you think a scooby is?

I've only seen a few. The common thread is that they were all impressive. They were all different, but all called a "scooby" by the thrower. You can call it whatever you want, but maybe a better name would be "that throw where I throw it like a backhand but my fingers on the flight plate instead of under the rim" or "that one where I throw it like I'm revving a lawnmower with the disc between my index and middle fingers."

The more "novelty" shots in your bag that you've actually mastered, the better. Frisbees are cool like that.

I was taught that a Scooby was throwing the disc upside down so it slides on the top of it's flight plate. Perfect for sliding underneath obstacles especially in pine needles, oak leaves, etc. I now know this isn't the original use of the term Scooby.

Me too

The weirdest one I do, and have hardly seen anyone else throw, has been labeled a few things by different people. Underhand/bowling/horseshoe, traditional backhand grip, vertical at your throwing arms side, depending on height and spin, can go up and over to hit and stop, or under branches hit turn around and roll forward. Not good for putting, since it'll slice right through the chains.

I've only heard of a scooby as being just throwing a disc upside down so it skips on its flight plate. I still don't know what a scooby actually is if that ain't it. :\

--------------

I do FH rollers a lot, especially in these tight NC woods it's actually easier to get up and down for a safe par than trying to thread some needles through the air. By far the weirdest thing I do and never fails to get a "WTF was that?" is a push shot. It's the first one shown by the hippie in this video:

You wouldn't think that this would be all that useful in DG but around the green when you're buried in schule it can be handy. You can throw really gentle flex shots with a little practice. I have a tendency to throw traditional OH shots a little too hard and end up cut rolling or skipping into more schule when I'm within close range of the basket so this gives me another option.

Non-flipping thumbers (high putter thumber that is thrown slow and lands on top of the flight plate.

I do this but tomahawk grip instead of thumber. With a putter rim I get a better feel with pointer and middle finger instead of thumb. Love throwing this shot with an Aviar P&A when I need to go up and over something.

I'll use FH rollers pretty regularly as a get-out-of-trouble throw.

this is painful. What do you "think" it is? Like the Telephone game? let's not make stuff up.

It comes from Ultimate. It's called a SCOOBER - also known as a "Scooby" for a nickname

http://www.discace.com/ultimate-frisbee/ultimate-frisbee-throws

3. Scoober
A variant of the forehand throw, the scoober, is similar to the hammer and thrown from a backhand stance. The release of the scoober typically more flat than the release of a hammer but the flight path is very similar to the hammer. Used to throw over defenders, the scoober is usually a short 10 - 20 yard throw. While holding the disc with a forehand grip turn the disc over so it's belly side up, and bring the disc across your body. Lead the throw with your elbow and flick the disc forward.

This is what I have always thought a Scooby was but I played ultimate before disc golf.

I throw it occasionally with my 150g Polecat for a get out of trouble shot or sometimes to put if I have something in the way.

Scoober is what Shaggy says when he is tiptoeing through a creepy house and a monster touches him on the shoulder, and he hopes it is his dog.

"Scoober?"

It is almost always followed by "Yoikes!"

It seems possible that a Scoober was a funky roller, and one day, someone was throwing one, it flopped on its back and slid forward and chaos ensued.

I started playing Ultimate and DG in '79, and have never heard the term though the shot was used at the time. I have heard the same shot referred to as a "pancake", probably a Southern dialectical variant on the toss.
On the other hand, I do know of a definition for "scooby" that 1.) doesn't have anything to do with disc golf, and 2.) you're going to have to ask Dan Savage at savagelove.com what it means.

The scooby in in disc golf is a grip where the the disc is held like a backhand, but upside down with the thumb along the inner rim. From that grip, you can throw a scooby roller, scooby grenade, or a shot that slides on the ground. The scoober in ultimate is also an upside down shot, but more often thrown with a forehand grip.

Latest posts