• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you use for driving putters?

Right now I would use my U-2 in Prostyle plastic if I had to use a putter as a driving putter as I used to do that with the disc as well as using it for uphill and downhill putting which I still do, currently I use a Star Shark 175 grams for this type of shot as the Shark is one of the top one disc only type discs. I also have an old Pro Shark 175 grams as well but the disc is not right for a driving putter type slot the nose got a bit blunted due to use. If I lost, broke or just had the Pro Shark wear out I might look at a G Star model same weight.

I was just wondering, do alot of other players use putters for short drives? If so what distance do you use putters for? If the whole is below 230 for me I pull out my sarek, if it is a dogleg hole I pull out my judge.

Yes, I typically throw my putters on any drive <250'.

Fluid Warden for line shaping, Lucid Marshal (a new addition) for straight to mild fade and a Fuzion Suspect for FH or hard fade throws.

Yes, I typically throw my putters on any drive <250'.

Fluid Warden for line shaping, Lucid Marshal (a new addition) for straight to mild fade and a Fuzion Suspect for FH or hard fade throws.

I have a glow suspect Im never going to throw.

The few times I did throw itm it seemed pretty OS and its a nice flattie. Maybe zone like?

I could see it working very well for windy approach shots. Or short hyzer bomb placement shots.

I have a glow suspect Im never going to throw.

The few times I did throw itm it seemed pretty OS and its a nice flattie. Maybe zone like?

The Suspect is faster, longer and less OS than a Zone in my experience. I also think it is easier to grip for FH throws due to its lower profile.

I could see it working very well for windy approach shots. Or short hyzer bomb placement shots.

Precisely. Also works well for "get outta trouble" short range OH throws and FH rollers...

-judges for a fan grip. they seem to have the traditional putter like flight but are a bit slimmer than the older molds. classic blend is perfect for giving my fan grip traction.

-the harp is for more os shots. use a variety of plastics to suit me. the tournament is nice for windy days when I need something that will zip through the wind.

-envy is ideal for distance putter shots.. plasma seems just the right kind of plastic for me.

I can't haul all three molds in my bag because I cycle discs as in if I'm going to carry it I carry two or more. so I just adjust according to the course. for example if their will be a lot of putter driving holes the envies will get bagged and everything else come out.

from reading this thread it sounds like I need to try the zone..

I'm throwing challengers (crystal z, soft x) or banger gt(pro-d) only putters I own, if it's within 200'-230'-ish.

What is a Pro Challenger? And what is a Pro P2?

Sweet Jesus, are you trying to start a super serious internet fight? Seriously if anyone takes even one step toward taking away my official serious disc golfer card for not adhering to brand specific plastic terms they're in for a world of hurt.

Sweet Jesus, are you trying to start a super serious internet fight? Seriously if anyone takes even one step toward taking away my official serious disc golfer card for not adhering to brand specific plastic terms they're in for a world of hurt.

He used the term they used to call Challengers when just the baseline plastics for brands were made. Those discs were good and they Had a logo that was the Challenger from beginning to end, with a little disc flying to a basket showing the line the disc had taken. They stopped that in the 2000's when they came out with the better plastics for the disc. Discraft then had one with a shuttle Challenger on it for the Pro D plastic till Discovery blew up in 2006 or 2007 then they pulled that to not lose Sales and made it look like the Focus or Magnet Putters with a basket and a disc on it, something they had been making as well after they had stopped making the disc with the Pro Challenger name on it in the 2000's, calling it a Challenger. Soft Challenger in Elite X is still made with words Soft Challenger on it like the old Pro Challenger was till better plastics came along.

I drive with the best driving Putter ever made, the Envy. And the second best, the Proxy. For turnovers I drive with a Wedge.

Mvp Atom. I'd be surprised if any putter had more distance potential than those shallow Mvp putters, they are practically mids. That doesn't make them any better than other putters, I just wanted to point out that if distance is what you're looking for they are hard to beat.

Harp for stable, Colt for neutral, FH and BH, usually inside 200'.

He used the term they used to call Challengers when just the baseline plastics for brands were made. Those discs were good and they Had a logo that was the Challenger from beginning to end, with a little disc flying to a basket showing the line the disc had taken.

Yup those are the ones I like.

Attachments

• pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
Yup those are the ones I like.

I have not seen one of those since the mid 2000's some time, the players I saw got the Soft Challenger to keep the disc from bouncing out of the basket or needed new of the Pro D Challenger with either the Shuttle logo with Challenger on it or the one with Basket. I think the Shuttle logo ones were discontinued when the Discovery Shuttle Blew up. I never had that problem, the Problem I had was the hard Pro D plastic changing in 2006 to A softer plastic that they still use today for discs. I loved the stiff models until the grippy soft Jawbreaker that felt when new like the Softer hard Pro D plastic when discs in that plastic were at the end of their lives but with more grip and less slick feeling that Pro D can get after a while. I have two Jawbrakers one labeld My approach for approach and hazard putting the other is labeled putter, I did this to separate my two main Magnets as I till have my one old stiff Hard Pro D Magnet. Magents If used as a putter will stay neutral due to the shape of the wing.

Last edited:
Just like the "write in your favorite Disc" thread, I feel it would be fun to tabulate these kind of threads. Not saying I want to do it myself, but, would be neat. Envy is where it's at.

Latest posts