• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you use to cut the vinyl?

Marty McFly

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Some of you use a plotter but that will not work for my budget. What should I use and how can I get the most professional type of cut? I currently just use a box cutter.

Also what does a plotter do? Never used one before.:confused:

Get yourself an x-acto style knife, and some extra blades. You can pick them up at any craft store, walmart, etc... You can hold them like a pencil which gives you alot more control, smoother lines.

A plotter is alot like a CNC machine for vinyl minus the Z axis. You have rollers that hold/move the sheet of vinyl, and a blade that moves side to side that cuts the vinyl. The plotter is fed info from a cutting program that traces vector/.eps images. They are pretty fun toys to play around with.:)

Another option with the xacto blades is a 360 swivel blade. Some prefer the rotating blade to the fixed blade of a standard x-acto.

I use a Kobalt break-off style knife, small size. About the same size as an Xacto but when the tip starts to get dull, I take a pair of plyers and snap the end peice off and it's like a new knife. There's about 12 "snap off lines" on each blade and it comes loaded with three blades. About 10$. Very comfortable grip too. I've been doing the cutting out proscess right on the disc, The vinyl cuts very easy and hardly makes a scratch on the disc itself. I find the transfer a real pain so I've just been tracing the original, apllying to the disc, then cutting.
Good luck

Well as soon as I get some vinyl I will use a laser to cut all of mine.

While it could be considered over kill I work at a company that build laser systems. It easy to convert Autocad drawing to our laser format. I do not have access to a vinyl cutter so why not use what I have available?

I have never dyed disc but love the idea and have seen some really nice ones. I can draw on the computer better than free hand cutting or trace cutting.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way you spell New York.
Perfect, Tom! New disc design idea.

New York

fla460.jpg