• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is going on at Lemon Lake?!?!

Why is this person trying to take over the club? Does the PDGA have a contingency plan in place if worlds has to be moved?

Why is this person trying to take over the club? Does the PDGA have a contingency plan in place if worlds has to be moved?

I don't believe there are any worries over whether Worlds will or will not happen.

There may be some concerns about how well the planning has gone, or how well prepared for they will be, but no concerns over having to move Worlds.

I believe this could impact future Worlds though.

If it isn't going to affect Worlds...why are the internal politics of a club most us are not involved in any of our business?

Seriously, if you aren't directly involved I would suggest refraining from comment especially if you want to represent us on the PDGA BOD. :| That's just a suggestion by the way. And even if you are directly involved with this situation and are involed in that clubs leadership I would also question the wisdom of airing out this kind of stuff on this forum. Especially this forum.

If it isn't going to affect Worlds...why are the internal politics of a club most us are not involved in any of our business?

I don't believe there are any worries over whether Worlds will or will not happen.

There may be some concerns about how well the planning has gone, or how well prepared for they will be, but no concerns over having to move Worlds.

That's the thing though, Dave. I believe it could have an effect on Worlds.
Obviously, Worlds is a huge event that requires tons of planning and volunteer work. If the local scene's hosting club has a rift, then it could be a huge problem.

I know how much work and planning goes into running a simple two day B-Tier. I can't imagine what goes into planning a week long championship utilizing multiple courses and hosting hundreds of players.

As a representative of the PDGA, I expect the World Championships to be top notch. If those World Championships aren't top notch because of poor planning, miscommunication and feuds within the hosting party, then I do believe it is a fair topic of discussion.

Seriously, if you aren't directly involved I would suggest refraining from comment especially if you want to represent us on the PDGA BOD. :| That's just a suggestion by the way. And even if you are directly involved with this situation and are involed in that clubs leadership I would also question the wisdom of airing out this kind of stuff on this forum. Especially this forum.

Well, it's a pretty prominent disc golf facility and disc golf club. Nationally prominent, in hosting major events, and regionally prominent.

If one can't kick around news and views about such things on an internet disc golf message board, where can you kick them around?

I can see why those involved might prefer to handle things in different venues, and not participate here - but the goings-on are certainly of interest to the wider community.

Its on the facebook page. Which is not private.

As the Disc Turns... a DG Soap Opera

Wow, I knew course development, planning, maintenance, etc could get political, and there are bound to be conflicts when people see things differently, have contrasting personalities/values, or egos get involved. but this seems like it's all pretty avoidable.

I'm not entirely clear if this is a Parks Dept Employee pushing their weight around (if so, how could they control the club's website?) or a Club Member (but a non-playing member doesn't make much sense :rolleyes:), in which case the Parks Dept should clearly be left out of any internal issues.

It would seem the former, but again I still don't understand exactly how this happened:

[D] has also hijacked our club. We vote on things and she refuses to accept the vote if it is not what she wants. She will not allow anyone access to the club web site even though 2 other people were voted to take on that responsibility. She has been dictating all the club business with no club support...

Not to seem alarmist, but I'm just concerned that something like this (i.e. on such a grand stage), could develop into a case study of how DG can be a huge PITA for Parks and Rec Depts across the country. :\

Last edited:
Per Indiana Disc Golf Discussion:
Job Wilson:

I'm going to simply say this.

This Svitko v. Zandstra/Red Roc feud needs to be put to an end before you wreck the relationship with the Parks Department and disc golf is kissed bye-bye at Lemon Lake.
Bart Zandstra: I've had my say and will merely visit the park and play disc golf as I agree Job Wilson. BTB...Although my name is on it, it is the consensus of all the regular players...

As a former club president for over 2 years in my other hobby all I am going to say is that airing out differences like this in a public way is a really bad idea regardless of who is making it public on their Facebook page or whatever. Facts get distorted, statements misunderstood and everyone winds up with egg on their face. Handling things in this manner merely provides drama queens ammo to snipe from the peanut gallery. Misinformation is assured here along with outright lies. Do whatever you want it's no skin off my back. Just making an observation from first hand experience.

Wow, I think the club trying to play hardball with the park sounds like a really terrible idea. They have all the power and don't need disc golf in any way. It's nice that it brings in some extra gate fees, but they'll gladly forgo that to not deal with petty conflicts in a club they've done a whole lot to support over the years.

It is all sad.
And for those of you worrying about the park, the park don't give a **** about disc golf. At least from my vantage point.

these two posts are the absolute essence dg's conflict at nearly every park district.

At the end of day dg doesnt generate enough money for a park district to give a rat's ass about it.

differences

For liability issues, clubs hosting events like Worlds set up a separate organizing/responsible entity. The local club(s) still take the heat for how things are organized, even though the PDGA is calling most of the shots by that time. Internal friction approaching such an event sets off a lot of sparks--keeping them from igniting a fire storm is hard.

Asbestos suits are recommended for any groups doing tournaments like the Worlds.

Maybe I'll try reviving this thread, after getting no reply on the World's thread.

Anybody know what the current situation is at Lemon Lake? Did the Red Roc disc golf club somehow dissolve?

Shortly after World's their web page and facebook page both seemed to disappear. They're still gone.

It looks like the Pro Shop's facebook page, Lemon Lake Flight Center,
https://www.facebook.com/lemonlakeflightcenter
is taking up some of the slack. They do have a poster up for the Homie (only on Sunday this year - I'll be sad to miss it).

What's the scoop?

Is there going to be any web presence for leagues, tournaments, etc? I assume leagues are still happening?

People may not want to get into it here, but does this represent some kind of resolution, or at least evolution, of the kerfuffle at Lemon lake?

Latest posts