• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the legal way (if any) to beat in a disc?

Fred, you can apply some common sense here. When I play, my discs tend to find a lot of trees, walls, pavement, etc that season them. Under "normal" play, the change in flight is gradual. The alternative might be to spend an afternoon throwing a disc against trees, walls, pavement, etc. The end result is the same, but it just gets there faster.

Given that both the disc used in normal play and the one beaten up in one afternoon are in essentially the same state, why call one illegal and the other not?

Much of what I have said in these posts has been in the role of "devil's advocate", posing questions and expressing views for the purpose of obtaining various opinions about the discs we can legitimately use in competition. Early in my exchanges with colleagues, one said, "I don't care what people throw as long as its round and not overweight." If that is what the rule expressed, I would not have "pinched" the nerves as I have.

You have effectively pointed out that a disc that has hit 50 trees in 50 days on several courses will not likely perform differently in competition than a disc that has hit one backyard tree 50 times in one day. After all is said and done this truth should survive any new rule. There is some risk that examining the current rules to achieve clarity about back yard, parking lot, and handball court disc throwing venues, will cause someone to argue that the distortions permitted in a disc should be limited in some ways.

A quantum shift might also be done, where the PDGA defines the principles that regulate the player's use of a particular disc: It is a PDGA approved disc, and it is not different than other discs widely available to players in a new or used condition. I have separately written a rather specific rule. It would identify a very particular set of permitted modifications that could satisfy the interests in modifications that mimic the treatments a discs receives during ordinary play. Now I am leaning toward a very broad statement to replace the awkwardly specified modifications we now have.

Fred you need to smoke a blunt or something... Manufactures dont even make discs consistently enough to worry about this BS. We are not dealing with medical parts where .0001 of flash is a big deal. The rule is whatever. Do people honestly care if you throw a beat to hell thrashed discthats no different vs modified one?

Its reallly not that big of a deal at all.

Was JR a neck beard who talked like a thesaurus?

FredV is a ****ing trip. And, I only wish he posted more. Much more.

Last edited:
Fred you need to smoke a blunt or something... Manufactures dont even make discs consistently enough to worry about this BS. We are not dealing with medical parts where .0001 of flash is a big deal. The rule is whatever. Do people honestly care if you throw a beat to hell thrashed discthats no different vs modified one?

Its reallly not that big of a deal at all.
That's probably some good advice. But, inconsistent manufacturing is part of what drives me here. This has not been a big deal for me for the last 30 some years and it will shortly be no big deal again. This is what we may call an organizational purge, after which I get to do what I can to fix my scraped and warped discs, and deal with manufacturer inconsistences, without concern that somebody can wave the current rule under my nose. All of the anecdotal assertions, including yours, help toward the answers we need, but they do not conclusively give the answers.

At one point in this single effort to get some broad discussion going about an issue that concerned me, I wondered whether I was coming off as a know-it-all...making my points along the way. Then I looked at the small number of post I had versus the number of posts from others who had their valuable opinions to share. In some cases, where the posts are generous toward strangers, a high volume is encouraging. In the other cases I am reminded of the elements that do harm to our sport and beyond.

Last edited:
Hmm legal way to break in a disc?... Practice bank shots of the bathroom at your local course. I once had to throw a bank shot of a culvert during a tournament, because I was behind a wall of honeysuckle. So IMO that is in the "normal course of play" because nobody can say you weren't practicing a potential shot.

Last edited:

Latest posts