• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is wrong with my Leopard?

I keep a 150 Ch Leo in my bag...it's my goto straight to anny. every disc is able to cruise. Me & my son play rounds with 135g Wamo 100 molds! Even he has learned how to put that out to 175'. Throw with more rotation & less arm then work your way up to a hyzer flip. the 150 Ch Leo easily cruises past 300'.

Next to his name it says he has been playing for over 5 years, so you think he would know better by now.

Why would you want to throw a Leopard that light? You might was well be throwing 3 paper plates taped together.

Thank's to ALL.

To summarize:
1) Disc too light (I agree)
2) OAT (possible - but everything else flies straight)
3) Slow down arm speed (I did not think of that)

Solution:
1) I will buy a heavier Leopard (160 - 170 range)
2) Try throwing 142 Leopard with slower arm speed.
or
3) Sell disc to super noobie or little kid:).

When you post your sale, PM me. I buy cheap light discs for my school kids, as does Coach Q and several other teachers on the forums.

Thank's to ALL.

To summarize:
If you can't get it to fly more than 50' without turning and it's not super beat there's a good chance #2 is playing a part. Knowing what discs you're throwing, how you throw them, how far they go and what the flights are like will help diagnose just how bad it is.

Either way I'd recommend keeping it and work on throwing it on a hyzer that stays on the same angle throughout the flight. Start as short as you have to and gradually learn to throw it farther and farther.

My wife throws 135-143 leopards for control/turnovers with quite success. At sea level she throws 150-155's similarly. If you are getting rid of it I will take it (I have some stuff left to trade).
You should be able to throw them without turning them over, maybe not 100% but at leaset 80. Focus on a smooth toss and make it happen, it will be good for your game.

If everything else is flying straight it's probably just too light, try taking something off of it and see if it flies straight. It could just be a bad disc too.

Weight and a combination of OAT. Find something a little heavier and a little more stable to see if you're having the same problem.

Thank's to ALL.

To summarize:

Solution:
1) I will buy a heavier Leopard (160 - 170 range)
2) Try throwing 142 Leopard with slower arm speed.
or
3) Sell disc to super noobie or little kid:).

So, after taking in all your advice, here is what I did:

1) I slowed down my arm speed and now the 142g flys straight for about 150 - 175 feet then starts a nice turn to the right. Will have to try it on those dogleg right holes.

2) I ordered a 167g Leopard. It has not arrived, but hopefully I can get it out there much further and work on a 'S' shot.

Thanks again!

So, after taking in all your advice, here is what I did:

1) I slowed down my arm speed and now the 142g flys straight for about 150 - 175 feet then starts a nice turn to the right. Will have to try it on those dogleg right holes.

2) I ordered a 167g Leopard. It has not arrived, but hopefully I can get it out there much further and work on a 'S' shot.

Thanks again!

I hope you ordered you Leo in premium plastic (champ or star). If you did, years of good times, if not... 6 months or so. A Leo in premium plastic with a nice high dome is one of the sweetest disc in the game.

Had a DX Leopard (162 I think) as my first disc. Started out with a fade to the left at the beginning. Got a little better and the thing started flying straight. A little more time passed and it was a nice anny disc. Now 7 months later the thing turns and burns! And I KNOW its not oat. I was thinking of keeping it as a roller disc but just traded it in for something else instead.

I hope you ordered you Leo in premium plastic (champ or star). If you did, years of good times, if not... 6 months or so. A Leo in premium plastic with a nice high dome is one of the sweetest disc in the game.

I made the mistake and ordered a DX. I will give it a try. If I like the heavier Leopard, I will order another in Premium and give the DX to a buddy I play with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I found a 147g dx leopard that is well beat in and tried to mess around with it today. I had the exact same problem as the op. I had the most severe hyzer angle I could and I couldn't get it to go 100' without turning and crashing hard. I was throwing my aviar putters 200-250' straight and couldn't get this thing to do anything.

Is it basically a dead disc or should I keep it as a roller? I really don't have a roller disc (only been playing 6 months and don't have any real beat in discs). It was burning out and rolling another 100+ feet.

I would like to buy a leopard to have an understable compliment to the teebird and eagle. Should I get one in star or champ plastic and how heavy? Most of my discs are in the 168-173 range. Thanks

yeah a beat dx leopard in that weight will turn and burn with moderate power

i hear great things about a pro leopard, but champ or star will be great too

get a weight you're comfortable with maybe a touch lighter

Latest posts