• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your Bag Size, and Why?

How many discs do you carry? (multiple choice if Tourney bag and Casual bag differ)

• Total voters
I carry 16 in my Gateway Players Bag, but half of that is putters. Aside from just loving putters, they do serve different purposes. I use 3 Eraser Magics for inside the circle. RFF Wizard for approaches, Eraser Wizard for approaches and short drives, and a seasoned SS Wizard for drives. A medium Summit for my "almost Magic" in the woods, and a medium Ridge for my "almost Wizard" in the woods.

My philosophy is to carry 7 discs. But I'm carrying 13-14.

The 7 are not model-specific, but are
- very overstable driver
- slightly overstable driver
- slightly understable driver
- very understable driver
- overstable midrange
- understable midrange
- putter

I'm not model-specific, especially on drivers, as it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me which ones I use in a given category. If my "slightly overstable driver" gets lost or beat in to understable or just falls out of my favor, I'll find an entirely different disc in that category that suits me.

I carry a larger bag in part to carry more liquid. I carry multiple discs of different models in some of these categories for several reasons

- I frequently play a course with great lost-disc potential.
- In tournaments, I want to be able to replace a key disc if lost, even where losses are unlikely.
- In playing casual, sometimes I want to take a 2nd or 3rd shot on a hole, particularly the first hole, and need some overlap.
- I'm trying out something new along with my tried-&-true.
- I have 2 putters. I use them in different putting situations, though it's not necessary. It's also more convenient for practice putting.

I only carry one each of the discs in my sig, in my bag. I like to travel light! The only time that I will carry more is if I am going to play a course with alot of water.

In my main "serious" round bag I carry 20-25 discs. Some multiples. I also use a 5-6 disc bag for casual rounds.

I usually carry nine discs on the course. I often get by with seven. I carry another twenty in the truck just in case I wish to swap out or in case of a loss.

I carry about 18-20 discs on most rounds currently. I had an arm injury a couple years back and have found it's better for me if I try to rotate my shots (forehand, backhand, roller, overhand) so I use more of a variety of shots than a course requires. It generally doesn't help my score, but it lets me continue to play. I fill my Silverback to add weight to the bag to help burn fat. If just trying to play a quick round at some local 9 holer, I just pull two discs and carry them. It'll be some form of APX/Wizard/Buzzz/Element/Cyclone combo depending on length and wind.

I used to go into a crunch bag but for most local rounds it's unneccessary. If I go "course collecting" I may bring my Crunch Box and pack into it as the day goes on. I just cut down on the duplicates.

Here's the specific today. It'll change a little by the end of the year, but just adding an out of the box understable fairway and some kind of distance driver for backhands. Just not there yet since I took 6 months off to see if I could heal completely. So far, so good.

2 APX, 2 Wizards, 1 Sinus
1 Element, 3 Buzzzes, 1 Warrior
1 Sabre, 4 Cyclones, 2 Talons, 1 Flick

Exactly 20 in my Innova Deluxe.

My FH Favorites: *Destroyer, Opto Flow, FAF Champ FB, 2 *FLs

For BH: Blizzard Krait, TP Boatman, N Shock, Opto Saint, GL Saint, VIP Stag, 2 *TBs, GL River, VIP Underworld.

Mids: GL Pain, TP Warship, N Tangent

Putters: HPP Wizard, RFF Magic

It might be slight overkill, but I feel like I'm prepared to take on anything with those discs.

16-20

ESP Nuke (2)
Force (2)
Villain (2)
Strikers (3)
Patriot (1)
Comet (2)
Z MRV (2)
Spike (2)
Breaker (1)
Glow Champion Big Bead Aviar (1)

All fits very nicely in a Simian

a fade it tourney bag

Vibram Trak
Beast
Cheetah
Champ Valkyrie
Champ Sidewinder
Star Teedevil
Glow nuke
Firebird
Scout
Wizard
Gator

and im prolly gonna downsize, last 3 rounds ive played ive only used the Champ Valkyrie, Vibram Trak, Wizard, and Glow Nuke

16-20 in my grip for all tournament or serious rounds. 6-7 in my DD sniper bag for light carry days, 5-6 in the nutsac for unplanned rounds that I grab it out of the truck and go.

I see a lot of the larger bags are large amounts of putters and mids, and I can understand that, because I personally believe the short game is the most important.

Basically, I see a need to be able to throw a disc left to right, right to left, and straight. This can be accomplished with one disc, but using understable and overstable discs make these tasks much easier and more consistent. So then you have distance considerations. There is a sizable distance difference between my roc, my teebird, and my boss, so using different speed discs makes judging distance easier and more consistent. Then the touch/landing. My putter and my Roc tend to glide in easier, less skip, and in tall grass can stop on a dime. Using a driver can cause a great skip and roll, so using all the discs in the short game can get you into hard to reach positions if you know how the discs react when hitting the ground, another great need for having various type of discs. And rollers, I find like throwing, understable will turn up straight, then go right (RHBH) much easier than overstable discs, so depending on the distance, and which way you want the disc to turn, you need to roll all of your discs in your bag to know which does what easier. Forehand/Backhand shots need to be practiced likewise.

All this ramble to say, I have met people who have certain roller discs, certain forehand discs, certain backhand discs, etc. And the discs they have all overlap, and I am always :confused:

The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.

I bet most top pros only throw about that many discs per tourney. All the other discs they carry are back-ups and rarely used specialty stuff.

I carry from 12 to 20 depending on the situation. Long days I tend to go fewer. Tournaments I add in some back ups. Casual rounds i add more backup so I can throw multiple shots.

I carry:
2 wizards (some times a third) 1 for putting 1 for driving
M4 anny/ straight mid
buzzz (some times 2) workhorse mid
drone specialty short shots overstable
FD straight no fade to anny shots
Teebird (usually 2 or 3) workhorse fairway
XXX (sometimes 2) Get out of trouble utility ultra overstable
Roadrunner straight to anny/ turnover shots
PD (some times 2) more D than teebirds less than destroyers
destroyers (sometimes 2) Workhorse big D they come in and out I tend to have better luck with slower discs.
And occasionally some others to test out

Last edited:
I'm in the 16 to 20 range.
2 McPro aviars for putting
2 KC Pro 11x's for throwing
4 Rocs (1 KC 11x 1 KC 12x,1 DX and 1 Roc 3)
2 11x Firebirds
1 Brinster Teebird
1 Avery Star Teebird
1 Pre Barry Champ Leopard
1 Anthony Destroyer
1 Avery Destroyer
1 PD-2 S Line Chaos
Champ Gator
champ roadrunner

The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.

I bet most top pros only throw about that many discs per tourney. All the other discs they carry are back-ups and rarely used specialty stuff.

i have a feeling you dont own 20 discs.

My large bag can carry 20+. Out of that, lets see, at Dabney this week I used a Surge, 2 Katanas, 2 Wraiths, Beast, Vulcan, 2 Orcs, Teerex, Buzz, River, Dart, Aviar. So 15 discs used from the bag.
But for steep, rocky courses I have a small bag, 8-10 discs, with no doubles or adversely-colored discs.

I carry 20 in my Grip bag for casual and tourney rounds. I usually have all different molds for casual, then tend to only carry the molds I know the best with backups of certain discs for tourney rounds.

2x Pure (Opto and Zero Hard)
Sinus (AP Premium)
Pain (Opto)
Warship (VIP)
Core (Opto)
Fuse (Opto)
Trident (Opto)
2x River (Opto & RGL)
Striker (GL)
Vision (GL)
Northman (TP)
Renegade (lucid)
Saint (Opto)
Villian (Opto)
Riot (GL)
Havoc (GL)
Halo (GL)
Trespass (BioFuzion)

10 or 11 discs in my casual bag; add a few duplicates for tourneys. I usually play better with fewer choices, so it doesn't make sense to lug around the extra weight.

Star starfire
11x firebird
DGA rogue
Volt
DX t-bird
tm river (new-ish)
tm river (beat)
FLX drone
ESP ace race hornet
OG bar stamp Z buzzz
Z buzzz
Z glide
ESP zone
R-pro hydra (my local course has 7 holes where h2o can be an issue)
Pro-D ace race focus (firm and newer; inside 30' putter)
Pro-D ace race focus (still firm, but broken in; outside 30' putter)
X soft focus (turnover putter, long putter approaches that need to land gently)

Latest posts