• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your policy on mulligans?

Why do you guys ignore some rules when playing rec rounds and not others? Do you jump putt within 10 meters during a casual round? Probably not, so why take mulligans?

Nobody that is pro-mulligan has answered this question yet. Why do some rules in recreational play get throw out and others don't? What makes the practice throw rule so insignificant? Do those who throw mulligans also move their lie to a more preferential spot?

I guess you guys haven't heard the term, "practice how you play."

Nobody that is pro-mulligan has answered this question yet. Why do some rules in recreational play get throw out and others don't? What makes the practice throw rule so insignificant? Do those who throw mulligans also move their lie to a more preferential spot?

I guess you haven't heard the term, "practice how you want."

Fixed :p

Anyhow, I already answered your question. A casual round, to me, is a practice round. Therefore I can throw as many practice throws as I want, as long as I'm not holding up anyone else on the course by doing so.

The real question is: Why do you care so much what other people do in their rec or casual rounds?

When I'm practicing by myself, I'll vary it quite a bit. Sometimes I play straight up, and sometimes I'll redo any shot I feel like.

There isn't only one way or reason to practice. Juju, you seem to think that the only meaningful practice would be something that keeps you scoring consistently. For me, it might be just as interesting to really try to nail a certain line that I missed on my first throw. Throwing as many shots as it takes to figure that out will help me, not hinder me, regardless of what my score is in a meaningless round I'm playing by myself.

I play this sport primarily to throw frisbees, not to obsess about beating other players or getting a low score.

You are taking practice throws and should assess a one stroke penalty for each. If you don't, you're circumventing the rules of play and should be disqualified. It is pretty simple really.

disqualified? were talking about casual rounds here.

if you don't remove whatever is lodged in your backside, you're going to ruin a lot of people's fun. pretty simple.

play 1st shot if it's very casual then I might throw a few more to try some stuff out.

I think quite a few have answered this. To go off your example, I do not think any one is talking about moving their marker for a better lie. That is only counter-productive as you never get to practice that difficult shot. What i do, and from what others have said here, is that they will still take their first shots, but for the sake of PRACTICE will throw a second or third in order to see if there is a better disc or shot choice.

Now taking second and third shots is a little different that taking a mulligan, but I see the root of your arguement. I then ask this, is going to a driving range or a putting green cheating? The sole purpose of those places is to practice. You can go to an open field or putt with a portable basket at home, but disc golf practice often does require going out to an actual course to see if certain shots are possible.

Finally, the stem of this argument is to determine if taking extra shots are harmful to those who will eventually play in a sanctioned tournament. How many people who play regular golf do so to be tournament competitive? I have to bet that the vast majority of those who play golf do so as a stress relief. The same can be said for those who play dg recreationally. Where is the harm in extra shots as long as it is not holding up other groups or puts anyone on the position to be hit by another shot?

Forgot to answer this one directly. I think the practice rule is thrown out because it is not a safety issue or one that CHANGES the specific shot that you are trying to make. An extra shot only simulates what a normal and perfectly legal shot would do. Thus it does not change your form or reinforce bad habits like foot faults, stance violations, or other improper etiquette.

Like i said earlier, how else are you going to practice proper technique unless you take multiple shots and see what you can and cannot do?

Only time we EVER grant a mulligan in a casual round is when some hits a tree or something right off the box. I mean RIGHT OFF THE BOX!!!

We call it our 15" rule.

Only time we EVER grant a mulligan in a casual round is when some hits a tree or something right off the box. I mean RIGHT OFF THE BOX!!!

We call it our 15" rule.

15 inches... :confused: Now that's some very close trees...

As many others have said, I will take several throws off the first tee, but announce when the throw is the one that counts.
I will often throw multiples off the tee or from the spot, but always use the first one.
If I am playing by myself (which is not often because someone is always there to join) I will play mulligans, but these scores NEVER go on a scorecard.
I will often encourage noobs to take mulligans, becasue it just makes it more fun. If noobs have fun, they get better, when they get better, they stop using mulligans.