• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What keeps you from throwing mid range discs on holes <350'?

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Outside of power and wind, what would make you reach for a driver instead of wind, assuming you CAN throw a mid 350'?

COnsistancy and line of flight ... thats all that makes me change disc .. unless over 350 as i cant throw my mid mutch farther than 350' -400' feet

Yeah, I can get mids up to 400' but don't see the need for fwy drivers. Just trying to pick people's minds about it.

Can't get much more consistent in flight lines than mids, especially buzzzes and comets (my main mids).

IMO, it is the most smart to always throw the slowest disc that will get the job done. I cannot throw a mid even close to 350' (I can only throw a driver that far on my very best throws), but that does not mean much to this discussion. Mids hold a line much better, are more consistent, and do not have the big skip at the end (which adds such a huge level of inconsistency in situations where the landing zone is not a uniform surface).

i still argue if you can throw a driver with less effort than a midrange to 250', throw the driver. As long as you're comfortable with skip/accuracy factor, why not save your energy.

i still argue if you can throw a driver with less effort than a midrange to 250', throw the driver. As long as you're comfortable with skip/accuracy factor, why not save your energy.

Because oftentimes when you throw with "less effort", you are more prone to errors. Most pros want to try and throw with the same motion (read: effort) into all their throws. This is why the amount of reachback is important, as well as the speed of the driver.

I throw the slowest disc I can on any given shot. If there's a low ceiling or I want to throw an oddly shaped shot like a big skip or something I might disc up, but on a wide open hole that's in the range of a mid range I'll pull out a roc just about every time.

I might use a fairway driver if I need to keep it low, or. If I want a very straight line with bigger fade at the end.

My take on this topic is there is little need for most distance drivers unless you play a lot of open holes

Outside of power and wind, what would make you reach for a driver instead of wind, assuming you CAN throw a mid 350'?

Low ceilings can be tough for throwing mids, so sending a driver out there, which has a dependable and consistent skip seems to work....but if the shot requires a mid, than use it....you never know, you may be parking up to a cliff or have cliffs on both edges

Just as of late I have been driving,probably,60-40 with my buzz at the home course. Because of this I have been hitting my low score more often and even beating my lowest scores. On the holes I've been throwing the buzz where I used to not,instead of hyzering out or yanking a driver,trying to throw with less or more effort,I've been throwing straight lines or hyzer flips and laying them under the basket. The holes that keep me from throwing the buzz is a when I need more hyzer on the end,it's a long hole,or a turnover shot. I've got a z buzz and even after almost 2 years it is still pretty stable,and hard throw a turnover shot and the disc keep the line,unlike a esp,or pro-d(for sure). I've been using it on about any hole under 400.

On friday I played out at Oak Grove in Pasadena and the 2nd to last hole had a tree fall from the left side into the main fairway. It's only a 220' shot but this left 2 options:

1 - Bigass spike hyzer over a tree that's easily 50' tall.
2 - Low skip shot under said tree.

I chose to throw #2 with an EagleX and parked it 2 out of 3 rounds <2nd round I got an odd skip>

I use my Buzz out to that range. What might keep me from using it for that distance is what the shot calls for. If I think a high flex shot would be a better route, I'd throw something else. If it's straight, gentle left or right, then I'd throw the Buzz at it, but certain lines are best handled with other discs.

What interesting to me is at Arboretum there are two water holes that are straight with a gentle left finish, perfect midrange shots as they're both 320-335' long (14 & 22). However most people I play with throw some of their fastest discs on those two holes even though I play with people who I've seen throw their Buzz that far. Hole 14 I've nearly aced with a Wizard, and this guy I know who can out-throw my putter with his usually throws a Max or Xcalibur type of of driver on it. Maybe it's a mental thing.

My Wasp may be my most thrown disc, besides my putter. I generally wont grab it for shots over 310. I can take it to 325 with confidence, but I also have confidence in my control drivers, such as my Stalker. I would usually rather toss the Stalker in the 325 range just because of personal comfort and release. But hey man, its all dependent on the current throwing conditions.

if my kc rocs where a little to beat up. only thing. if it's a no wind situation. and have a shot that far. i'll certainly throw a roc bomb.

QFT

Forum's full of Macho Men today.

MachoMan.jpg

People who can throw a Buzz 400' and talk about it are bragging. People who can throw a Buzz 300' and talk about it...well, no ones cares.

;)

Depends on the line I'm taking and the ceiling. Sometimes I don't feel like throwing as hard so I throw a flippy wildcat with less power and let it float down there. (energy conservation)