• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What made/will make you step up a division?

Also, to echo some of the posts above. Rec is the catch all/mixed bag. A lot of people get the advice, start in Rec for your first tournament...well that leads to 960 skilled golfers to play against >900 rated players often, because it is almost always someones first tournament. Int and Adv are usually more stable.

Play your rating in PDGA tournaments. The rating system will force you to play up when it's time. In club tourneys, I've always felt like the rule is this: If you've placed in the top 3 in a division a few (3) times, it's time to move up a level.

I decided competition was the reason to move up, Intermediate just seemed too close to rec.
Advanced Masters has far better players and alot less db's.

I moved up to Intermediate because I got tired paying $25-40 to play babysitter for guys who don't know the rules. Sadly, some intermediate players aren't any better about stepping on their minis.

Good luck bailey! I have been practicing putting and feel like I won't be missing much inside 20. Knocking on wood as I speak. If I can hit 80% inside of 30 I think I could shave at least 9 or 10 off my game.

I guess getting inside of 20 instead of 40 with my midrange would acomplish the same thing.

Next week is my first foray into Advanced. I have been playing MA2 for awhile and my last few tourneys I have finished in the top 5 (2nd once), but I know I am not shooting what am capable of rating-wise. I fluctuate between 910-930 but casually I know I can shoot 960-970's regularly. I am hoping that by playing with guys that shoot 960+ in tourneys, I can push myself to do the same.

I decided competition was the reason to move up, Intermediate just seemed too close to rec.
Advanced Masters has far better players and alot less db's.

I can see your point...but the problem I have seen is sandbaggers. They will sign up day of so the TD doesn't have a chance to check their ratings. At the CO state tournament, my buddy and I signed up for Rec. First big tourney for us both, and honestly, we make look the part but we are not that good. I came in 4th with scores of 80, 81, and 71. I beat my buddy by ten throws, and he beat the last place finisher by ten. Third place beat me by ten or so as well.

Now first place had played around ten tournaments before and won with scores of 60, 62 and 58 I believe. THAT is a sandbagger. It really takes the fun out of it for the real rec players. As you can tell by my scores, I am not ready to move up. But the POS d-bag who took 1st was obviously playing far below his skill level. The worst part? Hes signed up for the last 2 PDGA Colorado tournaments of the year....in Rec. Disgraceful.:thmbdown:

Not a lights out round by any means, but the field didn't shoot that well and I tied 2nd in open with a -5. Good first tourney in open.

I am approaching moving up on an event by event basis. For example, I won Texas Womens in Advanced Masters this year, so next year I plan to play pro masters at that event. As far as I'm concerned, I have the Texas Women's Advanced Masters Champion title under my belt and there's little point in going for a 2X. Meanwhile, I lost the US Masters this year, so I won't move up at that event until I win it. Local tournaments that don't carry titles are a different story. I just play my rating.

I moved up to Intermediate because I got tired paying $25-40 to play babysitter for guys who don't know the rules. Sadly, some intermediate players aren't any better about stepping on their minis.

At least Int players USE their minis, instead of picking up their missed putt and slapping the chains.

At least Int players USE their minis, instead of picking up their missed putt and slapping the chains.

So true. Probably a stupid question but if your disc lands under the basket where do you mark it? Say it's touching the pole, do you mark it pointed away from the basket?

This happened on my card and it started an argument because the guy marked it on the outside of his disc. They brought it up to somebody else and got laughed at and I figure I need to be laughed at to I guess.

So true. Probably a stupid question but if your disc lands under the basket where do you mark it? Say it's touching the pole, do you mark it pointed away from the basket?

This happened on my card and it started an argument because the guy marked it on the outside of his disc. They brought it up to somebody else and got laughed at and I figure I need to be laughed at to I guess.

Don't mark it - just take your stance at the edge of the disc farthest away from the pole, take another disc out of your bag, and drop it in.