• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What players do you sometimes "feel" like?

disco40

Birdie Member
Okay, granted that none of us look like the pros when we throw.

But sometimes I'll run up and bear down on a Wraith and feel like I'm James Conrad, or follow through on a midrange shot with my hand opening up and shoulders squaring out like Ricky, or stalk down my target on a soft putter approach like McBeth. Maybe I'll get an uphill straddle putt and lunge into it like KJ. With none of those kinds of results, but a faint feeling of mimicry or tribute as I throw.

You know what I mean?

Lizotte

I'm compelled to go the unbelievable route... execution is far less than his, but...ya know... we're talking "feelings" here ;)

Sometimes, when I'm deep in the jungle like woods, I feel like Captain Monroe Kelly

Peter Moylan mainly lol.

But if we're talking just disc golfers, basically if you take Nate Sexton turn up the aggressiveness, and make his putting way worse.

I feel like the guys I grab pick-up rounds with at the course...local chuckers and huckers but we have fun.

When I putt I feel like Ricky or James at least up until the disc leaves my hand. Then I just feel like a newb.

Okay, granted that none of us look like the pros when we throw.

But sometimes I'll run up and bear down on a Wraith and feel like I'm James Conrad, or follow through on a midrange shot with my hand opening up and shoulders squaring out like Ricky, or stalk down my target on a soft putter approach like McBeth. Maybe I'll get an uphill straddle putt and lunge into it like KJ. With none of those kinds of results, but a faint feeling of mimicry or tribute as I throw.

You know what I mean?

I had a Sexton tournament round (still my highest rated) where I played conservative but hit lines/putts, avoided OB, and made good decisions.

Or Barsby when I throw sneaky forehand lines that my cardmates hadn't imagined.

Or Simon when I throw up my hands or bow chin to chest after a spit out, or aggressive decision gone bad, or bad rollaway, still with a smile on my face

This is super dorky, but it works for me:

When I'm lining up a straddle putt, I'll kind of bounce on the balls of my feet a little bit, and do the Sexton spin.

I started doing it as a joke. Partly because I was always lousy at straddle putting. But it's kind of relaxing and focusing in a hard to describe way. By some miracle of the placebo effect, I feel more confident in my straddle putts when I do the Sexton thing.

With putting I try to think like Ricky W on the legs and the back leg kick/push off the ground more and more the further ai am out from 20 feet with one back leg kick off from 12-15 feet to 20 feet. I only noticed I do the Arm part the way Dave D does in his drive because we are both shorter arm players and not doing the full extend that longer arm players can do. That was in his Tip of The Whip thing on the Innova Channel on YouTube that made me think I drive using a more bent elbow thing to get power in a way that longer arm people can do with a more straight arm due to longer fulcrum.

Last edited: