• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rules would you add (not really, but you might wish for)

Yeah,we had a flagpole surrounded by a chain-link fence in straigtaway center. Any ball that rolled inside the fence was a ground rule double.

I can readily recall a half-dozen things like that, and if I think, probably many more small "special rules" on Little League and High School ball fields.

"No other sport....." is a precarious statement; there are a lot of other sports out there, some of which are bound to have their own oddities.

Nice list. If you had included:

Players should be able to play for cash in lower divisions than Open (which would be the only Pro division).​

and

TDs should be able to charge market rates for their time and services.​

you would have a complete recipe for fixing the game.

But they can. Just not in sanctioned events for the main entry fees. But side pots, ace pots, etc. It's already happening.

I'd argue those are optional course elements. Not rules. Whether those elements are used or not the related rules always apply.

I think the 2m rule is dumb because if you are 2m+ up in a tree you're already screwed. It means your disc should have traveled another 20-50' or more but is now hung up and/or you have a craptastic lie right next to the trunk or whatever shule happens to be below the tree. You're already penalized IMHO.

I can readily recall a half-dozen things like that, and if I think, probably many more small "special rules" on Little League and High School ball fields.

"No other sport....." is a precarious statement; there are a lot of other sports out there, some of which are bound to have their own oddities.

Heck, the way to play a (so-called) "island" hole is the most optional of optionals. You have three choices everywhere else when a throw goes OB< but a different number of choices on a (so-called) "island" hole.

Last edited:
lol y'all can't afford me.

Have to agree with Casey. The 2m rule needs to go away. Like go away so it's not even an option. Is there another sport where there is a single rule that is - optional? I don't think there is. I mean, how dumb does a rule have to be to be made optional?

https://www.usaultimate.org/resources/officiating/rules/2020_2021rules.aspx

Read rule 1.B.2. and 1.B.3. In a tournament, the TD can make up rules. In a non tournament game, the two captains can agree to change the rules.

lol y'all can't afford me.

Have to agree with Casey. The 2m rule needs to go away. Like go away so it's not even an option. Is there another sport where there is a single rule that is - optional? I don't think there is. I mean, how dumb does a rule have to be to be made optional?

Think of it as a design element. Like OB in the sky. The 2m rule can be in force for specific trees, specific holes - it doesn't have to be a blanket all or nothing.

OB areas are optional.
Relief areas.
Hazard areas.
Casual relief areas.
All optional.

(PS. I've never played a round with the 2m rule in play - so I have no opinion on its actual worth.)

EDIT - I should read the whole thread before replying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would like for the not PDGA rulebook but the PDGA tournament guide to say this is how all OB needs to be marked using at least the string and a wood stake unless it can't be for reasons like rocks or roads/paved paths that just use the paved surface as the marker. This disallows for the spray only in some cases where the rain or body of water washed away what the director had done the night before. It is not necessary to have the circle one marked, so just doing spray paint for that if tournaments want to even do that is fine.

I would like for the not PDGA rulebook but the PDGA tournament guide to say this is how all OB needs to be marked using at least the string and a wood stake unless it can't be for reasons like rocks or roads/paved paths that just use the paved surface as the marker. This disallows for the spray only in some cases where the rain or body of water washed away what the director had done the night before. It is not necessary to have the circle one marked, so just doing spray paint for that if tournaments want to even do that is fine.

No no no and hell no.

Do you have any freaking idea how long that's going to take to stake all that crap out with string and stakes compared to painting it out? And then clean all that up after the tourney? I could see doing that for an A Tier or NT event but no way am I doing all that for a B or C tier. Unless I can find some volunteers willing to spend copious amounts of time roping all that crap out you come to my tourney and you'll get spray painted OB and you'll like it.

I'd argue those are optional course elements. Not rules. Whether those elements are used or not the related rules always apply.

I think the 2m rule is dumb because if you are 2m+ up in a tree you're already screwed. It means your disc should have traveled another 20-50' or more but is now hung up and/or you have a craptastic lie right next to the trunk or whatever shule happens to be below the tree. You're already penalized IMHO.

Totally agree. My argument against the 2M rule is that if me and you throw the same shot and hit the same tree limb. There is a good amount of luck that mine stays in the tree and yours doesn't and vice versa. There shouldn't be any bit of luck that egregious with a penalty stroke on the line.

So you would be OK if the 2m rule was always in effect, but only for the trees the TD specifies?

No no no and hell no.

Do you have any freaking idea how long that's going to take to stake all that crap out with string and stakes compared to painting it out? And then clean all that up after the tourney? I could see doing that for an A Tier or NT event but no way am I doing all that for a B or C tier. Unless I can find some volunteers willing to spend copious amounts of time roping all that crap out you come to my tourney and you'll get spray painted OB and you'll like it.

Okay so then this only spots near water that will be affected by the paint line getting washed away like a natural earth drainage ditch made ob that does fill up with water more often like 80-90% at the time of the tournament. The second thing use spray paint that is not the florescent marking paint as that stuff gets washed away with any rain or water from say a city park if it does not go onto a solid object like say grass, use the yellow or white regular spray paint or even the pink.

Last edited:

You make the best point. if California heads of both North and south want to split from PDGA the way they threatened in 2000's for 2006 rules, then let California be the only place the 2 m rule is allowed to be used and even then allow the option to N run around the top head people of the North California and South California to allow the tournaments to not have to use the 2 m rule.

Last edited:
So you would be OK if the 2m rule was always in effect, but only for the trees the TD specifies?

Unsure. Not something I would ever do at a tourney just because that would just be real cheesy IMHO. And I would definitely roll my eyes pretty hard at any TD that would do such a thing at a tourney I play.

No no no and hell no.

Okay so for top level B tier that is almost A on up.

My only issue with the use of string (even with stakes), is that the OB line can be moved. Player gets to their disc before the rest of the group...see's their disc is "just" OB, moves the line, now the disc is in bounds. A kick to a stake as they go by, slight foot drag on the string.....

My only issue with the use of string (even with stakes), is that the OB line can be moved. Player gets to their disc before the rest of the group...see's their disc is "just" OB, moves the line, now the disc is in bounds. A kick to a stake as they go by, slight foot drag on the string.....

Why I said both and for top B tier that is almost A tier on up. Lower B tier and definitely C tier are used more like a PDGA rules league event with just a tad more to them.

Okay so then this only spots near water that will be affected by the paint line getting washed away like a natural earth drainage ditch made ob that does fill up with water more often like 80-90% at the time of the tournament. The second thing use spray paint that is not the florescent marking paint as that stuff gets washed away with any rain or water from say a city park if it does not go onto a solid object like say grass, use the yellow or white regular spray paint or even the pink.

There are different kinds of marking paint (I prefer the Ace hardware brand due to more paint per can). SOme are more water soluble, but unless you are painting in an active flood zone most will hold up a couple of days easy.

Cheaters will find a way to cheat, string or no string. Watch out for the guy who always gets to his lie before anyone else. ;)