• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What u like better tap in birds or sinking that long bird putt?

Long puts require luck for me most of the time. I'll often hit the basket, post, or chains on approach but getting it to stick is a different story all together.

Tap-in Birdies, however, mean my overall game is spot on that round... so I like those more.

Tap in birds are rewarding because you know your drive was solid. The long putts (+40 ft) don't happen that often so when they do it is exciting, but not a true indicator of your overall skill. I did hit a 40+ foot one last night and it was amazing!

Hitting multiple putts from beyond 40 feet is not a true indicator of your overall skill?

If you practice putting, hitting 40 footers is not a big deal at all.

I love the feeling of a tap in birdie. You smell that...thats victory baby! Tap in birds raise my confidence for the next hole..meaning I don't have that crappy approach/drive on my mind...I simply did everything right and am able to do it again because I am awesome type of feeling.

Parking a drive = feeling of pride and joy
draining a long putt = feeling of relief

I'll take the tap-in over a long putt every time.

At my level a bird is a bird. I do agree though that tap ins are great...I rarely get that close, on holes I can easily park I psyche myself out and shank the drive more often than not. I am happy to be in putting range after the first throw for the most part.

happy to be in putting range after the first throw
Exactly.
Well said. I have attempted to express that mindset here before.

Great mentality to have!! If you do not put false pressure on yourself it does not exist otherwise!

Sure tap ins are wonderful but we all know they are NOT the norm.

Well, maybe for Climo but the remainder of us mere mortals is who I refer to.

Parking a drive = feeling of pride and joy
draining a long putt = feeling of relief

I'll take the tap-in over a long putt every time.

My sentiments exactly.

In all seriousness laying up for bird from the teebox is the mentality that wins events, imho.
I have a drawer full of plaques if that is a barometer of success.

Drive for show, putt for dough... is what some folks say.

In tourney play... my goal is to get 75% minimum of any fairway in front of me.
The more the merrier of course.... 99% sure is nice. Tap in's roc.

I agree. Play the %'s... play for bird.
i was just reading this and i came up with my new slogan. "Drive for show putt for blow \ ________

I like the long putts more because my putting game is terrible, so when I hit them, it gives me more confidence. When I have a good drive, most of the time it's because it's an easy hole I've played too much so I'm just thinking meh.

I would rather have the tap in. However, if it is hole 1 and you hole out from 40 plus, that plays more mind games on your opponent that a tap in at that point.

long birdie putts are great, but a tap in means I'm really playing well. My putting is hit and miss from distance and if I'm at the point where I'm tapping in that means my drives are coming out of my hand well and it's likely to be a good day. Ultimately though, the long birdie put is more exciting and more satisfying.

I like long putts. The main reason is that I expect it of myself to park holes that are reachable......so tap-ins are just what I expect. Nice, but not fulfilling. If I screw up and do not park it or the hole is not reachable, a long putt is either a great save or a huge bonus - both nice endorphine rushes!

Nailing 25-35' putts (not what I classify as long putts) builds confidence during the round.....and I like that and usually can use it. Long putts are ones longer than those 35-45' I putts. 45-120' I throw with hopes of canning them (jump putting is a skill I need to learn). I practice those a bunch so I can give myself a decent chance (1 in 10 or so), but still always land within 15' for a guaranteed comebacker.

Hitting that 50' putt is awesome, but its awesome because its a surprise that only happens every so often. I'd much rather have half a dozen drives parked 10' or less every round.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say.

The fact that you got replica written down the side of your gun , and the Fact that i got Desert Eagle .50 written down the side of mine.......

OK, billnchristy and Omega_Supersloth are now among my favorite members of this forum. Well played.

It's been emotional.

Any way it gets there is okay by me. Tournament this weekend I watched more long putts go in than I've ever seen in a tourney before (VA Open). But The Grange where the tournament was played has a "Tiki Course" that is a bunch of 80-150' par 2 shots... everyone who goes to the tournament plays at least 5-10 rounds of Tiki while they are there.

My theory is that everyone on the course was throwing in longer shots than they usually would because they were prepped by playing Tiki Golf -- after hitting several "aces" from 80-150' in warm-up on the Tiki course, long putts seem a lot more makeable on the real course. You just go for everything, and the comebacks seem easier, too.

I hit probably 2 per round outside of 50', usually from my knees over/under branches and through trees. That's really unusual for me. Huge adrenaline high...

I think there is a difference between hitting a long deuce putt on an otherwise unreachable deuce hole vs. hitting a long deuce putt on a reachable hole when you screwed up the drive, does that make sense? If it's a hole that I've never deuced before because it's 450-500' away, and I put out a perfect drive and can a long deuce, that is a huge perk, because it is bragging rights and a mental high of hitting an almost unreachable hole. If I have a mediocre drive and have to hit a long putt to save a deuce or a three, that's not as big a high...

Given the choice between parking a reachable hole and hitting a long deuce on a reachable hole, I'd take the parkjob. Given the choice between parking a reachable hole and hitting a long putt on an otherwise unreachable hole, I'd take the long putt.

"Shotguns? What, like guns that fire shot?"
"Oh, you must be the brains of the operation. Yes, guns that fire shot."

Classic friggin' movie. 9-stars on my IMDb list.

threadjack.gif

Latest posts