• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What u like better tap in birds or sinking that long bird putt?

personally im a tap in fan i just love walking 100 yards+ and then just lay that sucker in the basket, i think i enjoy the walk up there the most no worring about putting no need for disc selection just haul that chip (on your shoulder) up there and eat it.

From outward apperance it probally looks like i like hitting the bird putt more(fist pump loud yessss) and the lay-up walk looks just like im going to my car no celebration at all , but look closely and notice the sh** eating grin .

i made a sick putt today, easily 60-70 feet around one tree and splitting 2 more and it was exciting and all but i would much rather have a easy simple put cause i make those waaaaaay more often lol

I'm of the firm opinion that you make birdies with your drive, not your putt. Going for it on long birdie putts is a good way to turn an easy par into a bogey.

After my drive, I have a pretty good idea if I'm playing the hole for birdie or par (or occasionally, if I hit that tree right in front of me and am now behind it, bogey.) It takes a lot of pressure off to know that this 60 foot throw around a tree and between two more really only needs to be within 15 or 20 feet of the basket. I can just concentrate on missing the first tree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still aiming for it to go in, but my priority is more on missing close than actually nailing those.

But if I can get that drive within 30-35 feet of the basket, you better believe I'm going at it hard for that birdie, no matter the river behind it. :)

So I guess put me in the camp of those who like drop in birds. A drop in bird means you did everything right. A long putt for bird means you screwed something up and had to scramble.

I'm of the firm opinion that you make birdies with your drive, not your putt. Going for it on long birdie putts is a good way to turn an easy par into a bogey.

After my drive, I have a pretty good idea if I'm playing the hole for birdie or par (or occasionally, if I hit that tree right in front of me and am now behind it, bogey.) It takes a lot of pressure off to know that this 60 foot throw around a tree and between two more really only needs to be within 15 or 20 feet of the basket. I can just concentrate on missing the first tree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still aiming for it to go in, but my priority is more on missing close than actually nailing those.

But if I can get that drive within 30-35 feet of the basket, you better believe I'm going at it hard for that birdie, no matter the river behind it. :)

So I guess put me in the camp of those who like drop in birds. A drop in bird means you did everything right. A long putt for bird means you screwed something up and had to scramble.
give this man a cookie:) i think everyone can benefit from what you just said way to drop knowledge boyyyyeeee

I prefer the exploding birdies, personally. Nothing beats the sight of a hot pink 170 Pro Destroyer turn a rogue sparrow into a puff of feathers, Randy Johnson style. Very classic.

As long as I am getting a birdie I am loving it. If I had to choose I think it would be the tap in kind because I know my drive was right on target and maybe just maybe someday that will mean an ACE.

In all seriousness laying up for bird from the teebox is the mentality that wins events, imho.
I have a drawer full of plaques if that is a barometer of success.

Drive for show, putt for dough... is what some folks say.

In tourney play... my goal is to get 75% minimum of any fairway in front of me.
The more the merrier of course.... 99% sure is nice. Tap in's roc.

I agree. Play the %'s... play for bird.

Last edited:
I get more excited about the long birdies because they're unexpected. There's nothing like the sweet surprise of the disc going in when you were just trying to get it close. It feels like you're getting away with something. I'm also a big fan of the long par saves. ;)

Hitting that 50' putt is awesome, but its awesome because its a surprise that only happens every so often. I'd much rather have half a dozen drives parked 10' or less every round.

... my goal is to get 75% minimum of any fairway in front of me.
The more the merrier of course.... 99% sure is nice. Tap in's roc.

Personally, I prefer the fairway to be behind me, as in between the teepad and my disc. :D

Long putts. Say you are playing against one other person. Your opponent parks the hole, you walk up to the pad and hit a tree and are left 50 feet from the basket. A lot of people start thinking about how they are about to pick up a stroke. When you knock down the putt (you can knock down plenty of 50 footers in a round, despite what was just said **), it has a tendency to get inside of your opponents head. If it does, they lose their focus and their game isn't as sharp.

Want proof? Next time you are playing competitively and someone parks a tough hole, look at their face when someone knocks down a great putt to match their 2.

** When you are confident with your putting, you can take runs at 50-60 footers, without the fear of a bad comeback shot, because you know how far it will go if you don't make the shot.

Want proof? Next time you are playing competitively and someone parks a tough hole, look at their face when someone knocks down a great putt to match their 2.

It's just a blow to the other persons confidence in beating you. It's like "damn it, how am I supposed to win when he/she is making shots like that?"

Latest posts