• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was thrown back in the day...

Like Trembo and other old timers here, started w/ Whammo 165g in mid '80s. Could throw it quite a ways w/ good snap. When Started w/ actual golfing discs in '90 1st driver was a Cobra, progressed to Spitfire then Cyclone in later '90s as they came out. Had a "Discovering the World" Roc as a putter, Lightning Texan as an approach disc, and original hard plastic Pheonix as a wind disc. Picked up a B-17 also for wind or through foliage. I fondly remember a Jaguar from about '94, biggest flat disc I have ever seen, 1st one I had w/ good glide. Wife had an Eclipse and Aviar, Knew friends w/ Ace, Duce, 86, 91, and Viper was all the rage when it came out but was a serious meathook for most, the 1st I remember.

Skeeter is the closest thing I have found to a Texan and it is really close, sweet approach disc that I used the hell out of. Lots of 100' approaches w/ shorter drivers and w/o advances in form teaching. Rare to see people throwing over 300' on my home course then. The one guy who did went to the worlds in the mid '90s and did ok.

Good luck in your quest for the old school. If you ever get to Kennewick, WA you can shoot about 15 of the holes in the positions they were in when expanded to an 18 hole object course in '89 or '90. Nice baskets and tee pads now tho, throw from gravel next to them for total old school experience. :)

I flipped many a lid (catch) in Columbia River Park back in '78. I was more partial to World Class 141s and Super Pros. Didn't discover disc golf 'til I got back east in '83 at Burke Lake Park. Used to throw the 141 and then some fastback that was around 130g. Bought my first golf disc (Whamo-O 86) in early 84 followed by an Aero and a P-38 Lightning, still have them all. The P-38 is as hard as a rock.

My dad played in the early 90's, and he was using stuff like vipers, rocs, stingrays, jaguars, griffins, and for putting, it was the aviar, now his discs just sit in the garage.

For those who remember the Discraft Cyclone: What was your go to color? Players used to go crazy over Cyclone colors, claiming that different colors flew differently. I don't remember which color was overstable, which was understable, and which was neutral, but there sure were some heated arguments about color.

I started in '89 and so it was Eagle, Roc, Aviar for me. Then, a few years later the panther came out and I started using only it for a number of years before I got more serious about the game. The rest is history.

For those who remember the Discraft Cyclone: What was your go to color? Players used to go crazy over Cyclone colors, claiming that different colors flew differently. I don't remember which color was overstable, which was understable, and which was neutral, but there sure were some heated arguments about color.

I still have my first run Cyclones...

One is orange the other is a Glow....

I think around here the green ones were wanted by everyone.

I have a few from back then...These are two I never got to.

Attachments

• Cyclones.jpg
    Cyclones.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
Green was the Cyclone color. The purples and blues also were popular around here. White was the kiss of death unless it was a glow.

Here is my old clone.
DSC01568.jpg

still have a purple one.as I remember I never did like it much, anyone throw whamo -91moldes , was a good roller for me , started playing in1979. took 15years off though. started up again in 09. everyone was telling me not to throw my old stuff .I didnt have a clue that it was worth anything. now there put away.

Latest posts