• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] What Was Your First Disc(s)

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was thinking about all the discs I've had over the last couple of years today, some lost, some traded, some I still have. Including my first disc; a 175 Champ Groove that was given to be by a friend. It mostly sits in my garage collecting dust now, but I'm still glad I have it. The same friend who turned me on to disc golf gave it to me.

I don't know if I should be more grateful that he got me into the sport or bitter that he gave me a Groove, but it worked out well enough in the long run. I threw 90% OH back then and it's not the worst OH disc.

So that lead me to think about all the great stories the guys on this forum might have. So... What was your first disc? How did you come by it? And what has happened to it since then?

My first two discs were a KC Aviar and Champ Beast. I bought them from DGC over 3 years ago. The Beast didn't get tons of use since I got the disc buying bug right off the bat and tried a bunch of drivers. But the Aviar stayed in for every putt for about a year. I still have both of those discs in storage.

I don't really "care" about too many of my discs. But if I lost those two it would seriously bum me out.

My first discs were a mix of discraft and innova back in 98' I was given an X-out XL and I bought a magnet. But to complete the set I then picked up a stingray, a cyclone, a shark and a straits. I eventually replaced the shark with a roc. I still have the cyclone, stratus & the magnet.

When I first started I would play with a friend that had a trunk full of discs and would throw different ones each time out. After I was hooked I went on line and bought a red star Wraith (because it was the fastest at the time) and a Birdie.

I used that Wraith for 2 years and loved it even though it took about a year until I could throw it right. But its second year was great, until I left it on a hole and went back 15 minutes later and it was gone. There was only one other group out there, they were 2 holes behind us but "never saw it". It's been a few years but I still miss that one.

I used the birdie for about a year. I played my first tournament and had multiple putts that hit the basket and proceeded to roll away on the hilly course. After about the 3rd or 4th roll away, the last one rolling over 50', I decided no more and retired the disc that evening. I gave that one to a friend starting out because it is a good disc to learn with.

Hundreds of discs later and I'll never forget those 2.

This gives me an idea. I think I'm going to film a 9 hole round using the oldest discs in my collection. The molds I threw back in the day. Wizards, Rocs, Leopards, Roadrunners, Firebirds etc.

Anyways my first discs were a Star Aviar and Star Leopard. Loved the leo, never liked Aviars. Too deep.

My first disc was a DX Valk that I bought without knowing a thing. A friend's girlfriend's dog chewed it up while we were playing a round one time. I continued to play with it like that(it wasn't terrible, just a few holes) until I lost it. Then one of the older guys that I had met while playing gave me a handful of discs he didn't throw, one being a JLS which clicked with me right away. A few weeks later I see some high school kid with it. It could be anywhere now.

First discs I bought after using my friends ad wanting my own was a champion boss and a dx aviar. Lost the boss two rounds later (imagine that) two years later when I started playing with the club in my towns a now very good friend of mine told me about the rasta dyed champion boss he had found two years prior in the spot I lost it. Told him how that was most likely mine and he have it back to me (never give up hope on lost discs) still don't have the arm speed for that sucker so it just sits in my collection. The aviar however went from main putter for two years to upshot disc to most beat to crap flippy upshot disc in my bag. Things money love canned an ace with it for $80 and it's my most useful disc in the bag. 3-4 years going and it's still got it's spot in the bag, at least untill my less seasoned dx aviar becomes as flippy as that beauty

I was working at sleepy hollow state park, in charge of mowing the disc golf course. I knew nothing about it. When I was mowing one day I found what turned out to be a proto stamped vulcan and tossed it around a couple times with my partner. I turned it into the activities coordinator so she could use it in a program she did with the kids. Later that month me and my partner Nicol decided we wanted to try. The campground host had 3 drivers he had found, an orc, a flash, and a valkyrie that he gave to me and Nicol I had a buddy come out with us and let everyone pick. Nicol took the valkyrie, Chris took the flash, and I was left with the Orc. We each grabbed a putter from the activities coordinator stash (I took glow aviar, chris aviar, nicol a challenger) and went off into sleepy hollow. That entire summer I played with the orc and the aviar. Only did OH. I don't carry an orc any more and have abandoned the OH mostly outside of the occasional thumber. To this day though I don't have a disc more dialed in than that Orc on an OH.

My first disc purchase at an MC Sports was a driver, mid-range, and putter. I thought that was a good place to start off. Ended up getting a Groove ( :doh: ), a KC Roc ( :) ), and a Dx Aviar P & A ( :thmbup: :cool: )

Considering I still throw Aviars and Rocs, I'd say that wasn't too bad of a first go around. :)

1991 Innova brochure

Maybe someone's first disc is here in this 1991 Innova brochure featuring Innova's complete 17-disc lineup, all DX plastic. I unfolded the brochure and scanned both sides.
lastscan.jpg

lastscan1.jpg

Maybe someone's first disc is here in this 1991 Innova brochure featuring Innova's complete 17-disc lineup, all DX plastic. I unfolded the brochure and scanned both sides.
lastscan.jpg

lastscan1.jpg

Thanks for sharing! It's cool to see a chart that old, and even funnier that after all this time some of those are still massively popular.

Geez...I really don't remember what my first discs were, as most were found while walking my dog before I ever started. I do remember a yellow Champ Orc that I found that was the bee's knees until I lost it.

My first purchases were a Champ Spider, a Star SL, and an Aviar. I still bag all three. Dont really use the Aviar anymore, but the Spider and the SL still get thrown.

The first discs I used were a DX Archangel, Blizzard Krait and a DX Aviar. I'm a youngin' to the game.

My first disc was my dad's Bullet Stamp XD that he had chilling in our garage for years. He had told me what it was for multiple times growing up, but I never really grasped the concept of 'Disc Golf.'

My first purchase was the Innova Starter Pack, from the REI that had just opened in the area. Jag, Shark, Aviar. Still have all three of them. I still remember my first round at the local 9-hole course.

I used the XD for a year until I smacked a tree and cracked it, almost in half. I pulled it out of storage this month, after moving, and I'm going to frame it for my office.

So that's how they are supposed to fly?

Innova beginner three pack in dx. Aviar, shark,Leo......I also grabbed a few stingrays. couldn't throw any of them more than 150 ft spike hyzers! Was very frustrated , and studied the flight chart that came with the pack . Then began making many bad disc purchases. An early favorite was the shark. I could pick a target to start the disc at, and let it fade gently to intended landing zone. One throw I will never forget is first time I got a good pull on my stingray, which I still carry today and has one of my two aces. It popped up, got a big turn to the right, and stayed in the air for ever . That one shot got me hooked on the game . In fact, I was more interested getting that nice gliding flight than score at that time. I still have some of my early bad purchases available for trade/sale!

Circle Stamp DX Shark that my parents bought from a Wally World around 2001 or 2002. I lost it in a tree summer of 2006.

My first discs from 1999 (my first go at the game) were an Aviar P&A and a Shark, both DX of course. In hind sight not a bad start. I shortly picked up a Stingray, Cobra, and a Cyclone for maximum distance.

BTW - Wasn't DX plastic a little sturdier back then than it is now?