• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] What Was Your First Disc(s)

Second or third day on the job here a few years ago, I picked up a max weight Gold Line Flow. In a horrendous dark gray never-find-me-in-the-woods color. Yup.

Knew I shoulda asked what discs were actually for beginners when I started.

Maybe someone's first disc is here in this 1991 Innova brochure featuring Innova's complete 17-disc lineup, all DX plastic. I unfolded the brochure and scanned both sides.
lastscan.jpg

lastscan1.jpg

I carried six of those models around the time this came out. When I started (a few years prior), there weren't that many to choose from. With no pro shop anywhere close, my first disc was purchased used, on the course, from an out-of-town player--an XD, 174g, IIRC. DX, of course, at that time.

First Discs since I bought them all at the same time nearly 11 years ago. Wow, that seems like a lifetime now.

Pro Cyclone, in bright as can be pink. Went straight left for about a month while learning to throw and then after chewing up the sides of a few brick bridges that summer on my local course turned into a hyzer flip S-Curve thing of Beauty. Lost it pretty soon afterwards :doh:

DX Avair, white I think. Learned to putt or what I thought was putting with this. I was a terrible putter for years. Eventually went with a challenger because I was throwing Discraft drivers at the time. Lost it or gave it away, I cannot remember.

It's only three years ago, but I remember the first really usable disc I bought.... a Elite-X Stratus with a light tye-dye. I had some other stuff, a found DX Valk and the required Groove. But it was the Stratus that showed me how to pick the right disc....

I posted before that my first disc was something like a DX Archangel, but the first disc that I actually bought instead of inherited was an Elite Z Xpress.

I think it's actually a great disc and doesn't get much love, even though I haven't thrown it in a while. I will probably use it this year in my effort to learn to throw rollers.

When I first started playing, I would always use an Elite XL that belonged to my friend. The first disc I actually owned was a Lightning #2 slice, that I quickly paired with a 165 Champion Eagle. I stuck with that 2-disc lineup for like 6 months before I tried something else.

I went and bought an Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz and Soft Challenger. I then sold all of them off for Trilogy stuff, then sold all the Trilogy stuff for Innova and replacing my Discraft discs. All except the Stalker, I still need to replace that one.

First time I played was around 1991. My brother had moved out of the house and came over to visit. He asked me if I wanted to go play Frisbee Golf. So we stopped at a local record store and I grabbed a DX Cobra and a Birdie. I think between 1991 and 2004 I played maybe a grand total of a dozen rounds. Then in 2005 I decided to actually put some effort into the sport. I still don't get out nearly enough in order to get good at it. But I do have fun playing.

My first disc was a wham-o frisbee that my mom got with cereal box tops when I was around 8. When my brothers and I were not playing catch or frisbee-tag, we'd safari golf around the neighborhood. I bought my young daughters DX aeros and myself a Classic Aviar and Ace after we shattered a couple of wal-mart cheapo catch discs trying them out at one of the local park courses when they expressed an interest in DG. That must have been around 2004. I still have the Classic Aviar. The Ace is retired; beaten to unplayable flippiness.

That's a nice set up! All good stuff there AND in good colors to see on the course - guessing you had someone else with experience introduce you to the game?

I had a local shop by the house and the dude working there really hooked me up with me first setup, and then preceded to tell me "welcome to the addiction". I thought he was joking. I sold the buzz on the course to a friend for 20$ and then went and bought more discs. I still have the stalker although I don't throw it all the time. I could easily play a round with those 3 discs today and be just fine.

I took the advice of an experienced friend and started with a 170 star Leo and a 175 DX Aviar. Those two discs took me my first 6 months into the game. I would recommend the same to any athletic adult looking to advance as fast as possible.

First disc I owned was a #1 Helix, but the first disc I really threw, and still have, is a Batwing Z Avenger.

My first disc was a beat up dx valk one of my buddies gave to me. I still use valks to this day - great disc!

Been playing for about a year and a half, first discs were a champ Valk and aviar (from the starter pack) I retired them both around about a year worth of throwing... And oh yea I played about 18 holes everyday all year, you could say I'm addicted

Latest posts