• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see from DG coverage on TV/streaming video?

I want to be able to have perspective on where the disc is going and where it ends up. This often means filming right behind the thrower or maybe facing toward the thrower.

I hate two things: 1) when the camera is focused on something in shadows and then pans out to the open and the camera "fuzzes out" and it's too bright to see anything (I don't have the vocabulary to describe what this is).

This would be called auto iris. Which means the camera is taking to long to realize that it needs to close the iris to let less light in. On bigger sports shows they have dedicated person that is "shading" the cameras to make sure this doesn't happen.

Sorry guys I work in live TV sports and just trying to help out a little.

Better on-air and production talent. I know, not the easy answer here, but imo the correct one. Let's get some people who have some live broadcast experience, or maybe even a Communications (or similar) degree, both on-air and running production. One of the most obvious things, to me, when watching most DG coverage, live or otherwise, is how amateurish it looks in general. There are some obvious exceptions but for the most part most dg coverage looks about like the morning announcements looked at my high school...in the early 90s. Mostly, the interview segments and behind the scenes stuff are downright painful to watch a lot of the time...bad camera angles, lack of preparation, lack of knowledge of subject, bad blocking, and my personal fave, the repeated "Ummm" question, as in "Ummm, that was a really good, ummm, shot on #13. What were you, ummmm thinking about, ummmm, when you did that?".

"Ummm" question, as in "Ummm, that was a really good, ummm, shot on #13. What were you, ummmm thinking about, ummmm, when you did that?".
A few years a go I was interviewed by local TV, I did this before every answer.
It was embarrassing.

:wall:

The main thing I'd ask for is better cameras and more of them. If not real broadcast cameras like they use in ball golf or football, then at least the midrange Panasonics like Derek Hastings uses in the Vibram videos. I know these are extremely expensive, but non-players are never going to watch disc golf coverage when you can barely see the flight of the disc.

There are lots of other suggestions that I like in here about graphic overlays, different commentary, etc., but really being able to see the game has to be number one.

And for god's sake people, stop uploading videos you shot with your cell phone to youtube. When somebody hears of disc golf for the first time and then searches on youtube to find out what it is, we want them to land on a murdermike or scandanavian video. Odds aren't great though when there are 70,000 iphone videos for every high quality one uploaded. Buy a real camera and help grow the game!

Another thing that is unfortunately out of budget is the hd frame by frame camera they use to break down a player's swing in ball golf. And of course announcers that know enough to explain what is and is not working. The average player can learn a ton from that and therefore eats those segments up.

Imagine watching them show what separates Feldberg's throwing motion from much of the field. More importantly, when someone is having a bad round, having the announcers break down where the throwing motion is having a hitch and needs some work. That kind of video review has revolutionized teaching in ball golf and could do a lot to help the average disc golfer understand how to improve their form.

I want to see the technology used in NFL games where they pause the game, rotate the POV around the players (like in The Matrix) and then continue with the play. I would also like the see the tennis CG technology where they show where on the court the ball hit. Though in this case they would navigate a wooded fairway while showing exactly which branches the disc bounced off and how it hit the chains!

They also need to purchase rights to a few top 40 radio songs so we can have something relevant to listen to for about five seconds before they cut to a sweet a$$ Dynamic Discs commercial!

Cgkdisc said:
I really am baffled by the interest players seem to have in what disc another player threw. I think over 20 years the only times I ever asked another player what they threw was when I had to help find their lost disc. As someone who is shooting more video at events, maybe I should start asking. I guess if it's of interest to enough viewers then maybe it's worth it. I just don't get it personally.

Of course it is of interest to viewers... this almost sounds like a joke to me. Not only to help educate us ignorant/unskilled people who are watching, but just to say, "Holy Moly, he/she threw WHAT there?!?!? That is an even better shot because I would have to throw X disc to do that!" I think it helps to create a link between the pro and the viewer.

I'de like to see that thing they do with NHL hockey with the puck where it has like a colored tail behind it so you know where it goes...it'd be sweet to see Nikko or Avery or whoever rip a monster drive and be able to follow it with that ghost tail behind it to show it's flight path.

This would be pretty simple, to at least show in a replay. Like in ball golf, when they show the trajectory by superimposing the position of the golf ball every 10 feet or so. Why can't I explain this better, yikes. Kind of like this:

screenshot-17.jpg

GoodDriveBadPutt - Of course it is of interest to viewers... this almost sounds like a joke to me. Not only to help educate us ignorant/unskilled people who are watching, but just to say, "Holy Moly, he/she threw WHAT there?!?!?
Not to some of us. I'm more interested in any competitive drama, what the holes look like and what happens with the throws versus how a player did it. That's for practice time. Never once wondered whether Tiger used a Nike or Callaway club or Titleist ball or Jim Thome used a maple or ash bat of a certain weight. Like I said, I recognize that people seem to be interested so I'll consider it where applicable.

Not to some of us. I'm more interested in any competitive drama, what the holes look like and what happens with the throws versus how a player did it. That's for practice time. Never once wondered whether Tiger used a Nike or Callaway club or Titleist ball or Jim Thome used a maple or ash bat of a certain weight. Like I said, I recognize that people seem to be interested so I'll consider it where applicable.

As a player of bolf and frolf, I have to admit that I am less interested in what kind of club was used than I am in what kind of disc is thrown. They do, however, in bolf coverage mention whether it say, a wedge or 9-iron. Same thing in Disc Golf, let me know what disc was used. It does interest me a lot.

This would be pretty simple, to at least show in a replay. Like in ball golf, when they show the trajectory by superimposing the position of the golf ball every 10 feet or so. Why can't I explain this better, yikes. Kind of like this:

screenshot-17.jpg

This is not very easy at all. 1st you have to have a good enough camera to follow the disc with out losing it and 2nd you need the software which like I said before is expensive. Sportvision also does this.

We are very different then; the competition aspect is the least important when I'm watching. But, I am never watching live so maybe that would become a big factor if I ever did. But I still maintain that a large number of people are dying to know what disc was used to make that line at that distance. Me being one of them.

This is not very easy at all. 1st you have to have a good enough camera to follow the disc with out losing it and 2nd you need the software which like I said before is expensive. Sportvision also does this.

Right on. I was thinking it would be a stationary camera, and you would just pretty much just superimpose screenshots on top of each other to get that effect. I guess now that I think about it is doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe in a wide open field with a perfectly blue sky.

Or just someone hitting ctrl-v a bunch of times. :)

I agree that people care about equipment. Babolot tennis rackets are popular because pros use them...and the viewers know this. You wouldn't even really need to emphasize selection, just kind of put the players name at the bottom, then underneath it their score, and current equipment choice. Even a small list of their equipment choice up to their current stroke would probably look pretty smart on the screen.

Finally, how many noobs have walked up to you and went 'wow! what did you just throw?' People with interest in the sport want to know whats going on, and I think adding that information would add popularity. At the very least, it would sell tons of rocs.

I really am baffled by the interest players seem to have in what disc another player threw. I think over 20 years the only times I ever asked another player what they threw was when I had to help find their lost disc. As someone who is shooting more video at events, maybe I should start asking. I guess if it's of interest to enough viewers then maybe it's worth it. I just don't get it personally.

Chuck:

Thanks for your consideration of us who are keenly interested in the disc being thrown. We're also interested in the shot they are attempting. It may be a bit foreign to you but consider this. The vast majority of members are like me ... I joined PDGA in the last 5 years. With so many novices and relatively newer players, the disc and shot selection of top pros on certain holes is VERY big. You've just played too long now to think like someone relatively new to the game. In fact, if good commentators could know the disc selection, and then either anticipate what the players will do with that choice, or explain what that should do, I think it would really add a lot to my desire to watch coverage.

For example as Champ is approaching the tee hearing the commentator say something like, "Climo has selected his go-to driver, the max-weight Wraith; that means that against this wind he is likely to throw a long Hyzer flip shot because the Wraith will not fight against a strong headwind like we have today," or something like that. And maybe even right after the throw the analyst talking about Climo's experience and tendency to use that particular shot. As a newbie to the sport, stuff like that from knowledgeable announcers & analysts about what the best players are doing/thinking would peak my interest to watch more DG coverage.

I don't watch many online videos. I own about a dozen somewhat produced videos. Wheb I have watched the commentary is what I think really needs to be improved. I work in radio and have hosted my own daily talk show and I have a hard time listening to anything where those talking have no idea how to ask a question and talk about what were watching.

I agree that more info in what players are throwing would be of great interest. Most players find that interesting and it would give those announcers something to talk about about instead of saying ummm all the time.

so every time when a golfer is addressing his ball and the guy goes...

"he's got his 9 iron out"

you went... i don't get it...

?

araytx - The vast majority of members are like me ... I joined PDGA in the last 5 years. With so many novices and relatively newer players, the disc and shot selection of top pros on certain holes is VERY big. You've just played too long now to think like someone relatively new to the game
Because I've played for quite a while, my perception is that knowledge of what disc a player throws is potentially more of a negative than positive other than for the disc manufacturer who might sell more. The only thing I would personally trust is the thrower describing what they tried to do or did with that disc, not a commentator. A commentator typically can't tell whether the disc is new or beat and the slight adjustments in snap, energy and angle the thrower may have made. But then, as mentioned before, much of the video we watch is not live so there's time to get that feedback if the throwers are available to help. Even now I wouldn't throw what Avery throws or believe I could learn much from watching or knowing what he threw. I'm sure I could probably learn something if he was directly helping me.

It would also be good if the streaming coverage were compatible with all mobile devices. I couldn't watch Worlds repeats on my iPad while I was out of town.

chuck, i can understand your perspective here but i'm surprised that you are surprised how much people care about disc selection. it provides all kinds of info to the viewer about what kind of shot to expect, distance potential, possible hazards, etc.

if we did have this kind of coverage, viewers with a bit of experience and knowledge of pros could probably guess what kind of shot is being attempted just by seeing that "avery has pulled out his eagle" or whatever.

what if everyone on the card throws a midrange but one guy powers down a driver? it helps to know this in order to understand each players game plan. as others have said, it gives the viewer a better understanding of what pro players are capable of in terms of distance on various discs and line shaping.

all of these things, imo, would add to the sense of competitive drama for which you are looking.

oh, and i agree with the others who said that better commentating is the biggest factor in getting better coverage.