• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's a midrange, drive, putt, fairway shot to you?

i hear alot of talk about using putters and midranges of the tee or using fairway drivers as a mid ranges or vice versa ( isnt a midrange shot usally on the fairway) and how come your praised for throwing a "putter" 300 feet but dissed for using a driver or mid to putt:confused: anyway i was just wondering what yall consider in feet what a fairway , midrange , distance and approach shots are.

Why would you use a driver to putt?

I'll throw a roc off the tee if it's 250 or less...fairway driver up to about 300...wraith or similar speed beyond that...typically only throw a putter inside 100 feet or so...

I will also throw the roc if the tee off is 250 or less. If its longer I usually just throw some kind of driver depending on what is in the way and how the disc has to curve. I would say the roc is the most versatile disc and I use it until I am within 75 after the drive.

I think its going to be different for everyone. One size does not fit all. As I posted in another thread, I was in a tournament, and we had a temp hole that was about 90ft. I threw a putter, and everyone else threw a midrange, and I was playing in Intermediate, so I know I was not playing with beginners.

As far as using drivers and Mids as putters, that is a bad idea. drivers are very hard to control if thrown as slow speeds, and both drivers and mid ranges will tend to blow way past the basket if you miss the basket.

The best thing you can do is go to a football field, or an open field and mark off distances and see how far you can throw each one of your discs. That is one reason that regular golfers go to the driving range, to see how far each club drives the ball. You need to do that with you disc so you have an idea of what each disc in your bag can do for you.

Me personally I reach for a driver on any hole 275 feet or more. Below that, I throw a Dx Viking and use it as a Fairway driver. I used to throw a TL , but I really didn't care for it.

under 225-160 I throw a midrange. Under 160-30ft I throw my Soft Magnet, my main approach disc. Under 30ft I throw my Pro D Magnet putter.

Like I said, everyone can throw different and fell comfortable throwing different discs on different shots.

Like I said before, I think that eveyone should beable to throw a putter at least 100ft.

I think its going to be different for everyone. One size does not fit all. As I posted in another thread, I was in a tournament, and we had a temp hole that was about 90ft. I threw a putter, and everyone else threw a midrange, and I was playing in Intermediate, so I know I was not playing with beginners.

As far as using drivers and Mids as putters, that is a bad idea. drivers are very hard to control if thrown as slow speeds, and both drivers and mid ranges will tend to blow way past the basket if you miss the basket.

The best thing you can do is go to a football field, or an open field and mark off distances and see how far you can throw each one of your discs. That is one reason that regular golfers go to the driving range, to see how far each club drives the ball. You need to do that with you disc so you have an idea of what each disc in your bag can do for you.

Me personally I reach for a driver on any hole 275 feet or more. Below that, I throw a Dx Viking and use it as a Fairway driver. I used to throw a TL , but I really didn't care for it.

under 225-160 I throw a midrange. Under 160-30ft I throw my Soft Magnet, my main approach disc. Under 30ft I throw my Pro D Magnet putter.

Like I said, everyone can throw different and fell comfortable throwing different discs on different shots.
im not trying to bust your balls here and i agree that throwing a driver for putts is stupid most of the time but since i use a cro to putt within 25 feet and a skeeter for longer putts and use putter for approach shots and layups i hear alot of sh88 talkin about doing that and think its funny the same people that tell you u cant do that tee of with a roc or drone then take mid shot or drive with a putter .

Some of that long putter shot stuff makes since as alot of the discs we putt with arent true putters but p&a discs and back in the day would have been considered mids or drivers and to be honest i dont really give a shi* what anyone throws for any certain shot and am usally quite curious when i see someone thinking outside the box if it gets results for them i just dont like when people flip flop by saying its ok to use this disc out of context but not that one thats all.

btw 300+ driver , under 300 fairway, over 100 fairway , under 100 mid ,putter, mid

im not quite sure what i consider a mid shot as i like to use fairway drivers , i think thats really the hardest question to answer what really is a mid range shot .

On a straight shot, I'll throw a putter up to 175, a mid 175-225+, a fairway driver up to about 250, and a distance driver from 250-325. If it is 325+, I just whimper a little and pretend I threw a roc when it only goes halfway to the pin. It'd be nice to be able to throw another 100 or 150 feet, but I doubt it would drop my scores much. The real benefit would probably be that I could throw midranges on some of the holes I'm throwing drivers on now, rather than getting my drivers a little closer on the holes I'm upshotting with my putter when my driver doesn't quite make it there.

I would shorten those distances a bit if I had to throw a big hyzer or anhyzer. For example, I'd throw a midrange (like a beat stingray) for a huge anhyzer of 150', and a monarch for a huge anhyzer of 225.

If it stays in for you... go ahead and putt with a driver, but most of us have found that is unwise.

I have seen many noobs over the years go thru the "putt with a driver" phase.

NOT ONE still does, that I know. They eventually learned the error of their ways.
Gotta tell you something.

With years comes experience. With that experience comes knowledge.

Drivers 275+
Fairway Drivers 250-275
Mids 100-250
Putter <100

On the subject of putting with drivers, how many of you have done the following during a casual round or practice?

You park a drive or long upshot about 20-25 feet from the basket with a driver. You go up to putt with a putter, go through your routine, visualize your line, and you end up shanking it. In disgust, you pick your driver up, and without even the slightest attempt at form, you fling it at the basket and hit it dead center, exactly the way you intended to the first time.

Its nothing I would ever do in a round that counted for anything (because I'd get in trouble), but I'm surprised how many times I've done that just screwing around. After giving that driver a hard rip, the putter just doesn't feel right in my hand sometimes, and I can't get my muscle memory to adjust. I wonder if there's something to that.

Oh, and to answer OS's question...

Distance Driver: 325+ (if you can't hit 350+ consistently you don't need one of these)
Fairway Driver: 200-400
Midrange: 125-300
Putt: <200

Notice the great amount of overlap in my numbers. I'm of the opinion that there's really no defined line where one type of disc stops and the next one starts. I'm not above laying up a Drone from inside 100' if the wind is blowing at me hard enough.

300-350 T rex / Roadrunner
250-300 T Bird / Sidewinder
225-250 Roc / Leopard
60-225 Buzz / JK Pro Aviar

Elevation, wind...or dead air, obstacles, if I'm jazzed from a nice throw or putt, footing, freedom of arm movement and probably the sun and moon all kinda factor in when I reach for a disc.

It happens to me all the time, Scarpfish.

I generally use my fast drivers for distances over 300', my fairway drivers for distances over 250', but sometimes shorter distances in the right situation, and my midranges for everything else where I don't use a putting motion. I honestly don't like to use my putters unless I'm throwing with an actual putting motion, which tops out for me at maybe 50'. The big square edge of a putter just doesn't feel quite right in my hand when I'm taking a full throwing motion. I actually like to use my Roc for longer putts sometimes, and I've been known to throw a Wraith for an upshot when conditions are right. It actually works pretty well for me as a forehand upshot when I absolutely need the upshot to curl to the right.

I say all this with the caveat that a lot of my disc choice depends on the feel of the moment.

My driver is parked until I get an arm:

300-200' Midrange- Core, if it has a left or right dogleg I will FH or BH a Gazelle
200-100' Rockit
100' in Wizard

People drive with putters for pretty simple reasons. They can hit lines that are almost impossible to hit with drivers. They are predictable (if you know your discs). An errant shot with a putter is typically more forgiving than one with a driver.

What benefits are offered by putting with a driver?

Longest shot for me is about 280, I throw a Teebird, to about 200 or 190.
190 to around 80 or so Roc it.
80 to 30, I may Wolf or Roc,
I putt with an XD, I believe the grip adjust argument and have an easier time with the transition,
This assumes all flat BH shots, FH I will mix in Valk, with wind or elevations Orc, and Monarchs.
Just now turning discs over, feeling a new age coming...

Latest posts