• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's Holding Disc Golf Back

For those that want more mainstream sprorting goods brands involved with dg, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you realize that Nike and Adidas are so big because of the "little guys" they've eaten up. Anyone remember having a Macgregor baseball glove when they were a kid? And now where do you get them? Freakin' K-mart. That's what Nike would do to Innova and Discraft. Is that what you want?

I played in a C-tier a few months ago where someone had their dog with them during the round. Are you ****ing kidding me?! That **** is NOT legal and is absurdly disrespectful and distracting. The TD is to blame. TD's need to start standing up for their tournaments. Be proud of the event you are running and don't take **** from anybody. Rules need to be enforced. OB lines and hazards need to be clearly marked. 10 meter lines should ALWAYS be painted around the baskets if at all possible. My biggest pet peeve is when the TD allows everyone to chit-chat during the player's meeting. Grow a pair of balls and tell everyone to shut their mouth for 10 minutes while you make the important announcements everyone should hear for the tournament. It's the *******s that talk through the player's meeting that never know where the OB lines are or what tee pad they need to be throwing from.

I am sad we play in the same state and play most the same tourneys.

The guy at the muncie open with his dog is a great guy and the dog was not an issue at all. It never was more than a few feet from the guy during the rounds and it was super well behaved.

Rants are stupid and pointless on Disc Golf forums. The pdga is not going to read this post and go "Oh yeah this is what we've been doing wrong"

more of this would make me happier too
230807_10150593038835134_502720133_18423232_6653921_n.jpg

That is Uli's girl so you should watch out ha ha

I played a round with Catrina Allen, Uli, McBeth, and GG last week and she was a killer putter and had a good rip on her drives.

I think part of the problem is not enough courses close to people. Since my home course went private, I have to drive at least 11 miles, just to go play. If I try to get someone in the sport, and they have to drive 10-20 miles to go play, most people would say, "Forget it. Have you seen the price of fuel?" Also, its easier when someone an just go down the street to play. My brother lives in Baytown, Tx and the cloest course for him is over 20 miles away. Most of the people in his town have never heard of disc golf, and how would they? And most people would not drive that far to play, unless they were really into the sport.

After re-reading the op, it hit me like a ton of bricks! TODAY was the day our essay was due on "What's holding Disc Golf Back." I forgot to write mine. I was out playing disc golf! :p

I am sad we play in the same state and play most the same tourneys.

The guy at the muncie open with his dog is a great guy and the dog was not an issue at all. It never was more than a few feet from the guy during the rounds and it was super well behaved.

Rants are stupid and pointless on Disc Golf forums. The pdga is not going to read this post and go "Oh yeah this is what we've been doing wrong"

I am a dog person myself. However, they should be left at home for tournaments. No matter how well behaved they are, they don't belong in a tournament. I would feel differently in casual rounds.

I think part of the problem is not enough courses close to people. Since my home course went private, I have to drive at least 11 miles, just to go play. If I try to get someone in the sport, and they have to drive 10-20 miles to go play, most people would say, "Forget it. Have you seen the price of fuel?" Also, its easier when someone an just go down the street to play. My brother lives in Baytown, Tx and the cloest course for him is over 20 miles away. Most of the people in his town have never heard of disc golf, and how would they? And most people would not drive that far to play, unless they were really into the sport.

This, my town has 3 ball-golf courses, but they are trying to get disc golf out of the local park, that would leave us having to drive 45 mins to the nearest disc golf course. I understand that the ball golf courses are supported by paid memberships. I would gladly pay 3-5 bucks to play a couple rounds at a decent park course.

I am a dog person myself. However, they should be left at home for tournaments. No matter how well behaved they are, they don't belong in a tournament. I would feel differently in casual rounds.

I don't think this is true at all. There isn't anything in the rules that disallows dogs during PDGA play. You just can't use them for caddies lol. Dogs are allowed to spectate at USDGC. If the dog can act cool there is no issue. I've seen plenty of "tournament players" acting much worse during a tourney than most dogs I've seen. And yes, enough with the rants. There's enough yelling in the world. :doh:

I think part of the problem is not enough courses close to people.

This is why I'm thinking of relocating to Charlotte. Umpteen courses in under 30 minutes.

For those that want more mainstream sprorting goods brands involved with dg, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you realize that Nike and Adidas are so big because of the "little guys" they've eaten up. Anyone remember having a Macgregor baseball glove when they were a kid? And now where do you get them? Freakin' K-mart. That's what Nike would do to Innova and Discraft. Is that what you want?

HAHAHAHA no, not at all

About the dress code, at b and a tier tournaments there probably should be for advanced or just open players. To counter your argument that some people can't fork over their money because they are unemployed etc, why are they paying to compete in a disc golf tournament if they are unemployed? I would be playing every tournament I could if money wasn't an issue, but because it is, I don't play many tournaments. Sorry, but the people that are not financially stable should not be an argument for no dress code.

No plaid pants please. I think kahkis and a polo would be just fine at bigger events, leave c-tier alone.

About the dress code, at b and a tier tournaments there probably should be for advanced or just open players. To counter your argument that some people can't fork over their money because they are unemployed etc, why are they paying to compete in a disc golf tournament if they are unemployed? I would be playing every tournament I could if money wasn't an issue, but because it is, I don't play many tournaments. Sorry, but the people that are not financially stable should not be an argument for no dress code.

No plaid pants please. I think kahkis and a polo would be just fine at bigger events, leave c-tier alone.

Khaki shorts, if anything. I'd go for a polo, but as long as you wear some type of shorts I'd probably be fine with that. Dg is too active to wear long pants.

Khaki shorts, if anything. I'd go for a polo, but as long as you wear some type of shorts I'd probably be fine with that. Dg is too active to wear long pants.

I just said Khaki because not all tournaments are in summer. There's been some chilly tournaments I've been in where I'm not wearing shorts. Black or Kahki pants? I dunno. To tell you the truth I could care less about the pants/shorts as long as they weren't all ratty and disgusting. Climo looks just fine in a polo and gym shorts. (And what looks like Bites :thmbup:)

452241358_61e0e3f8f8.jpg

I don't think this is true at all. There isn't anything in the rules that disallows dogs during PDGA play. You just can't use them for caddies lol.

3.1.D. Animals, with the exception of service animals, may not accompany players during competition.

I play disc golf first and foremost because I enjoy it. From what I've seen, the sport is growing at a phenomenal rate. It may never be as big as regular golf, but at this rate there will be the opportunity one day to make a serious living playing disc golf (in the open division) without having another job on the side. I believe that day is going to be here sooner than many think. The number of PDGA members has risen significantly in a very, very short time from what others have told me. Get as many people out to play as you can, encourage noobs, and even the people you're not fond of. The more that play, the better for the sport!

Latest posts