• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats the best Innova midrange for a beginner?

Cobra (not King Cobra)...moderate turn (-2) and fade (2).

As the saying goes..."All good things in moderation."

Despite all of the drivers that have come out over the past 10-15 years, Beasts and Valkyries (moderate turn and fade) are still two of the most popular for the average disc golfer.

Personally, I think the Cobra is too often overlooked.

I'd give two pieces of advice. First, don't limit yourself to one company if you can. Second, Rocs are great, but not for beginners, unless you get really beat up ones. The understable midrange options recommended are your best bet.

Stingray, Cobra, Coyote, Mako, Shark, and used Roc are all good beginner discs. Heck, I'll even throw in a Wolf. But I hear the Mako 3 is seriously overstable, and I don't think it would be a good choice for a beginner. Out of the ones I listed, I think the Stingray is the one I see most pros using, except for the used rocs, but good luck getting people to part with those. I use the DX Stingray a whole lot. A star Stingray is a good hyzer flip disc in headwind.

Last edited:
Stingray, Cobra, Coyote, Mako, Shark, and used Roc are all good beginner discs. Heck, I'll even throw in a Wolf. But I hear the Mako 3 is seriously overstable, and I don't think it would be a good choice for a beginner. Out of the ones I listed, I think the Stingray is the one I see most pros using, except for the used rocs, but good luck getting people to part with those. I use the DX Stingray a whole lot. A star Stingray is a good hyzer flip disc in headwind.

Mako 3 isnt seriously overstable, if anything its neutral to slightly understable

When I was beginning, the Roc was my first mid range and am still using it today if that tells you anything. The Roc3 and Discraft Buzz and Buzz SS and also great discs.

To me, the dx shark is like a buzz ss. It is just plain straight and far on a low flat line, but it doesn't respond well to a high line, or handle tailwind very well. In other words, I think it makes a very poor uphill tailwind disc. In contrast, I thing the DX Stingray is the ultimate uphill tailwind disc, and yet is till useful for flat no wind, or even downhill headwind. You just have to adjust the release angle for the circumstances.

Stingray! even 1000 rated players have stingrays in their bags.

If I were to suggest a Innova mid for a BRAND NEW player it would be the Stingray. If the player is new but had been playing for a little while I'd suggest the Mako.

Actually just throw your dx aviar for a mid, that will help tons later, and your arm probably cant handle most mids anyway

Mako/Mako3 is what I'd recommend. Its stable so its good for teaching beginners line shaping. It will most likely remain in their bag long after they lose their "beginner status" & while they keep improving. Comes in durable plastic so it won't change on them so they have time to learn the disc in its entirety.
skeeter is the best beginner disc by innova
wolf is a close second
I think the Mako the Roc etc will frustrate as they go where they are thrown which is tough on a beginner lol it was for me
???
Thats right give beginners discs that don't go where there thrown?! FYI the Roc & Mako aren't compareable at all. The Mako is pretty much point & shoot but the Roc is more overstable. I love my Rocs but for beginners a Roc would be a bad choice (unless beat in) because it would mask form flaws & teach them to flex discs to gain distance. I agree the Skeeter is a decent begginer mid mold though.

Im throwing my vote in for a 165-169g Champ Mako3. Nice glide, and they go straight at low AND high power, giving you a mold with which you can learn to throw flat, and keep in your bag long term.

59 and counting. That's how many people saw fit to chime in on this question with their 2¢ AFTER the best disc golfer in the world (by a WIDE margin) weighed in.

That is some funny ish.

59 and counting. That's how many people saw fit to chime in on this question with their 2¢ AFTER the best disc golfer in the world (by a WIDE margin) weighed in.

That is some funny ish.

I think mcbeast's advice should be taken with a grain of salt. He doesn't know the OP's physically qualities, abilities or time to devote to learn.

He's a natural athlete and started young.

I wouldn't give a noob a roc3 unless it was in mcpro. A dx roc sure! My 170 roc3 flys exactly like my max weight ones though. Slightly OS. I throw 400 ft which isn't super far but honestly playing for getting close to 3 yrs I've only met a few people that out drive me and all but one is a pro. And he only throws like 15 ft more then me in a field on a great pull.

Most people I say average 330 and at that distance a roc3 is like a one trick pony.

But my advice is usually. Aviar, roc, stingray, leopard. All in dx at first. Pick up a new dx as they break in. Then pick up a star.

Must be getting slow around here. I'm pretty sure after almost 2 years the OP has figured something out by now.

I am a beginner and I am wondering which midrange disc is best. I am thinking about purchasing the Mako3 but i want to see what the more experienced players think.

My first one was a Cobra and I loved it. But being it was DX it got to flippy fast. the Mako and Mako3 are both good disks but I would go Mako first being it is lower speed so easier to learn for a newer player I think