• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the best weight for a putter and Why?

What is the best weight for a putter?

• Total voters
I like how some people think there's enough of a difference in couple grams to affect their putts... :rolleyes:

*edit*
I'm talking about the 2, 3 or 4 gram differences.

I use a heavyweight 175 SS Omega and and featherweight 141 86 Softie.

Why? Because there is no such thing as a 'best' anything in disc golf and anyone who says otherwise has their head up their bag...

I always use a 175g disc for my putters. As with any disc, I think they are easier to control as the heavier weight makes them fly more predicatable.

It is situational. If I want to go around an object or loft it I use a max weight overstable putter.
If I want to go straight for a long distance (almost approach shot material) I use slightly lighter.
and for any wind, I whip out the ol' 174 Rhyno, it cuts through anything.
oh, If I need to go slight right I use my Vibram putter.

Overall, I am Like Apoth with women; I like them as heavy as I can get them.

I can only put with a heavy putter. With the light putters i just cant get them to hold there line

I'm of the opinion that there's no such thing as the best anything. I throw near max weight putters for no other reason than that's what I've always thrown. I don't think a different weight would make much difference. It would be just something different that I would have to get used to.

172/3 for in the circle (up to 40 or so) and then 168 for long putts. The heavier putters stay close when you miss, and the lighter one gets the carry easier for the long putts.

I use 150 class discs for most play, 167g for some wind and change molds, airfoil, wing what ever for some shots and the heaviest disc is 175g or so. A 170g putter feels about right, I want something a bit heavier than I throw for distance and accuracy, the putter must fly straight and feel more substantial than my drivers so that's what works for me at this stage in my progression.

putter weight/mold is all about style.

if youre a snap-down-nose-up, float-style putter then you want something floaty with a lot of glide (lighter). if youre a push putter, a hyzer putter or a laser putter, you want something heavier as it will handle wind better. ions (and rhinos) are the best wind putters.:)

Imagine putting with a 1 lb putter. Now imagine putting with one as light as a paper plate.

IMO, its easier to consistently hit distances and lines with something heavier. Its like trying to make it into a basketball hoop with a baseball opposed to a whiffle ball. The air and your muscles have less unintentional influence on a heavier object.

Not saying its wrong to putt with something less than max-weight, but everyone should give it an honest try if they haven't (and aren't an awesome putter already).

max weight

I use max weights not just for putters, but for all of my discs except for the overstable drivers because of the wind.

Playing 18 holes with no wind around here is like finding a diamond in the rough.

IMO, its easier to consistently hit distances and lines with something heavier. Its like trying to make it into a basketball hoop with a baseball opposed to a whiffle ball. The air and your muscles have less unintentional influence on a heavier object.
But is it easier to throw a 15lb bowling ball or a regular baseball through a hoop 15' away? ;)

There's going to be a balance between the carry you get from a lighter putter and the control you get from a heavier one. I think most people just stick with heavier putters because they think they'll be that much better in the wind but haven't really tried lighter putters.

Many who have evaluated many different weights have come to the conclusion that a stable, wind resistant putter in the 165-168g area is the best combination of control and carry. If the putter in inherently good in the wind (is controlable over a wide range of speeds) then a few grams here or there won't make a big difference at slow speeds. If you can get an extra 5' of high percentage putting distance by carrying a lighter putter with it only being marginally worse in the wind then most find it's worth doing. Now if you're carrying something that isn't good in the wind you'll need a heavier putter to compensate, but it will still probably be worse than the stable putter, even in lighter weights.

For drives max weight is generally considered the best for the reasons SpyderPride listed above. Putters are the discs with the most projectile like flights and we're strong enough to throw a 175g projectile.

For approaches most find something in the middle is best, but IMO this is where weight is the least important. I do like a bit of extra carry for some "touch" approaches so I carry something in the middle that's beat up.

The beauty of carrying all three is that if you come to a situation where you need extra weight for a putt or approach, or want something lighter for a drive you'll have it.

Latest posts