• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the coldest day you'll play?

breynnmike

Birdie Member
So obviously up here in northern IL it's cold and windy. I've been playing daily, even in the low 30's. Today was 23 degrees and I said screw it, I'll stay inside. I always wear tons of layers and am usually the warmest guy of the bunch (blackberry brandy helps:thmbup:). How low temperature wise do you play in? And what do you use, clothing or anything, to help you stay warm and motivated?

the coldest i remember playing was 9 degrees outside. i was in cinci in mid january. huge snow storm too. loads of fun. i am still playing all through the winter. i dont give up. i live disc golf, lol just ask my wife. She says i am addicted, which of course i am.

Anything under 30 and im probably out. Especially if there is any wind.

Clothing is the same kind of stuff I'd wear climbing or hiking. Inner layer is wicking fabric. Second layer is warmth. Shell layer is wind protection. Mittens are great and easy to pull on/off to make a shot. If its really cold I'll wear a balaclava under my hat.

Motivation is easy. I live in North Dakota. Play in the cold or say goodbye to 1/2 of your season.

I'll play in the lower 20s if it's not windy. One of my favorite disc golf days were two rounds, blue skies and six inches of fresh snow with a high of 25. We cleaned the tees the first round and they were dry by the second round. Old Boone Woods about 20 years ago.

I don't like to play in the snow. Too easy to lose discs, even if you see where they went into the snow. Sometimes the snow gets nice and hard on top, then I'll play again. Not sure there's a temp I wouldn't play in.

Used to play in anything. 5-10 degrees is the coldest glow round I've played. 10-12 inches is most snow.

Now that I am Grandmasters I generally use the age rule. If the temp is below my age I'm not likely to play. I have already broken the rule this year and played in the 40s but didn't enjoy it much.

Cincinnati representing so far in this thread. :D

Some of the old timers here might remember the Bengals' 'freezer bowl' against San Diego back in, I think '81? I was working 'outdoors' in a beer/wine drive thru. Air temps were at -27 that day, with a wind chill of -56. If I was willing to work in those conditions, I'd be willing to play...except for that wind!

I've only been playing a couple of years, but I'm thinking I've definitely played a few times in the teens, on sunny, calm days, and I'm out in like three light layers. Year round play for me. Played this morning at about 35 degrees, and am playing league final round tomorrow morning, with an expected tee time temp of 25. :thmbup:

Ive played in a lot of negitive weaher in WI, I just put a couple layers on and im good to go

We'll be playing tomorrow at 8 am. The forecast says 8 degrees.

I've played in single digit temps for sure. Never looked at a thermometer to know exactly how cold. Also pretty sure I've played on days where the wind chill factor was in the negative numbers. I think if given the choice, I'd play in single digit temperatures rather than triple digit temperatures.

I've played in snow that was at least two feet deep on a few occasions. Makes for interesting tee shots when the pad is shoveled out and is essentially a 2-3 foot deep bunker in the snow.

I'm not scared of the cold myself. I always go heavy on layers. They can always be taken off but rarely are when it's cold.

I'd rather play in 20 degrees than 33 drizzling rain degrees; that's for sure. One thing I don't do is play on fluffy, deep snow where I'm going to have trouble locating a Disc. Now...On crunchy, hard snowpack? That's actually quite fun. The skips are outstanding, as is watching your Disc continue to spin for a seemingly long time after coming to rest...

Now that I'm getting old, I like to get out in Feb., regardless of weather, and lightly toss a few putters around the yard, working my way up to throwing full drives by a few weeks later so I'm ready for spring. We had a spring break trip planned for Augusta, GA last year. I wasn't about to pick up my Discs for the first time in 2012 while standing on the first tee at WR Jackson, so I started getting the old arm limbered up a month before, and that included doing so on top of measurable snow.

Do go to Augusta someday...

Cincinnati representing so far in this thread. :D

Some of the old timers here might remember the Bengals' 'freezer bowl' against San Diego back in, I think '81? I was working 'outdoors' in a beer/wine drive thru. Air temps were at -27 that day, with a wind chill of -56. If I was willing to work in those conditions, I'd be willing to play...except for that wind!
I remember that game! Ken Anderson was one of my favorite QB's.

Played today in 25° and 20+ MPH winds. I'll play down to about 20 or so, and mild winds, as long as it's not damp... my game suffers, but I still have fun.

Started out today around 38 and was good until I got hot and a little sweaty. Then the wind picked up and I was done. I didnt break enough to cover with.

I'll play in cold. I'll play in wind. I'll play in rain. I will NOT play in all 3.

Shattered my first disc in a negative wind chill :|

Latest posts