• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the worst disc you've ever had/thrown?

Aahh, Quest AT... they certainly had some "uniquely innovative" designs.
In addition to the pop top Wildfire Dave mentioned, they also offered these classic gems:

thewheel.jpg

quest_turbo_b.jpg

3bd5a526a9ea3e8962322886cec91f94--disc-golf-nike.jpg

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but to the best of my knowledge, Quest's the Odyssey was the first two piece disc... saw those years before I'd even heard of MVP.

Nope that was the Wham-O Max Flight that came out in 2000 and was a PDGA approved disc by 2005. Before Quest AT made the Oddyssey. The company does not make the Wheel anymore being non PDGA approved but still make the Turbo Putt even though it is also Not PDGA approved.

The Quest AT is now its own brand after Gateway dropped the brand it acquired back in 2007 when the Second Disc by this brand a Turbo Putt came out. Then the brand made a Wildfire and the Wildfire AT, the one with Golf ball dimples on them.

Nope that was the Wham-O Max Flight that came out in 2000 and was a PDGA approved disc by 2005. Before Quest AT made the Oddyssey. The company does not make the Wheel anymore being non PDGA approved but still make the Turbo Putt even though it is also Not PDGA approved.
Quest still makes discs????

I didn't think they moved enough product to still be a viable company. :\
Maybe it's just a cover for a meth lab or a front for money laundering...

Yep. Me too.

A Franklin Albatross was left in the basket on hole 1 of a local course. We were like, "Hey, someone left their disc. No name or number. What do we do with it? Let's leave it in the drop box when we're done, but try it on the next hole".
We ended up throwing it on the next few holes, just to try to get it fly more than 175 ft. When thrown at medium speed with an extreme hyzer, it immediately flipped into a roller. Very funny.

Would I ever buy one? No. Hefty paper plates are cheaper. And more reliable.

I found a Albatross 2 days ago on the course. First thing i notice was it was hard as a rock. Second was it truly is as understable as you stated. I called the number on the back and the owner was very happy to get his disc back. :confused:

Yep. Me too.

A Franklin Albatross was left in the basket on hole 1 of a local course. We were like, "Hey, someone left their disc. No name or number. What do we do with it? Let's leave it in the drop box when we're done, but try it on the next hole".
We ended up throwing it on the next few holes, just to try to get it fly more than 175 ft. When thrown at medium speed with an extreme hyzer, it immediately flipped into a roller. Very funny.

Would I ever buy one? No. Hefty paper plates are cheaper. And more reliable.
Just like discs, the material plates are made from matters. You got:
• Paper: your basic baseline stuff - low cost, good grip, good glide, least durable.
• Foam: a lot like blizzard - decent glide, better durability, only available in light weights.
• Waxed/sealed paper (Dixie): much like Pro / X plastic - fairly inexpensive, better durability, good grip, nice glide.
• Plastic: like Champ/Z - costs a bit more, most durable, not as grippy, not a lot of glide.
• Chinette: the Star/ESP/Goldline of disposable place settings - premium price, performs pretty well on all fronts.

Pretty sure Hefty only makes foam plates, not paper. :|

Last edited:
• Paper: your basic baseline stuff - low cost, good grip, good glide, least durable.
• Foam: a lot like blizzard - decent glide, better durability, only available in light weights.
• Waxed/sealed paper (Dixie): much like Pro / X plastic - fairly inexpensive, better durability, good grip, nice glide.
• Plastic: like Champ/Z - costs a bit more, most durable, not as grippy, not a lot of glide.
• Chinette: the Star/ESP/Goldline of disposable place settings - premium price, performs pretty well on all fronts.

Oh. I see that I have been egregiously in error. :D

And, I had not thought myself to be a blizzard plastic sort of person. It is apparent that this merits further review.

This is what is so especially marvelous about DGCR; the opportunities to rub elbows with those learned scholars of far reaching interests - such as picnic implements.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am bringing out some chicken to the grill to review this further. :thmbup:

The Turbo Putt looks like it makes the joke about getting a left-handed disc instead of a right-handed one a reality.

The Turbo Putt looks like it makes the joke about getting a left-handed disc instead of a right-handed one a reality.

IIRC the spiral on the bottom was to provide a stable grip point for your thumb, regardless of your hand size or preferred positioning. I don't recall the specific reason the PDGA revoked their approval on that mold.

FWIW - Even though the intent of the scalloped edge was to provide a decent surface for your fingers to grip while putting turbo (or pizza) style, I always suspected they may well have provided a competitive advantage relative to other putters in terms of gripping chains and/or slowing the disc's rotation as it made contact with the chains.

Pure speculation on my part. I have no data or observational evidence to support my theory... never even thrown one of them.

IIRC the spiral on the bottom was to provide a stable grip point for your thumb, regardless of your hand size or preferred positioning. I don't recall the specific reason the PDGA revoked their approval on that mold.

FWIW - Even though the intent of the scalloped edge was to provide a decent surface for your fingers to grip while putting turbo (or pizza) style, I always suspected they may well have provided a competitive advantage relative to other putters in terms of gripping chains and/or slowing the disc's rotation as it made contact with the chains.

Pure speculation on my part. I have no data or observational evidence to support my theory... never even thrown one of them.

It had to do with the fact the disc did not have a round edge to the disc those scallops on the edge. They are in the process of making a PDGA legal Turbo 2 as shown here https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...6,B00478NU3U,B016ZH8I82,B072XN5R9K,B002V7A7MQ it is the one with the non PDGA approved Turbo Putt. Yes they are making a new Turbo putt 2 that will most likely replace the Turbo putt. They make other PDGA approved discs like the Odyssey still but a one mold plastic now, exact same disc. The Inferno is no longer made that came out when the company was a part of Gateway are still made. The other discs sold singly are most likely no longer made but the ones in the Champion, Z, and Lucid like plastic are made still by the company using recycled plastic are.

Post deleted edited by user.

Last edited:

When you think of Hefty as the Vibram of paper plates

Worst disc for me? No question - the Birdie putter. Mine was pre-thumbtrack. Just a squared-off Frisbee. No glide, no stability, no durability, all warped. Sadly, that was my putter for many years. When I finally got a real putter I kicked myself repeatedly for keeping the Birdie for so long.

400 Glow H1.
Laughably overstable. Too much for me at least, to be able to use it for someting other than go left and towards the ground.
Well, I did play a hole with lots of water on the right side, and completely yanked my H1 over the water by mistake, and thought it was a goner. But it came back. Didn't gain much distance, but did get to keep the disc.
That was my first throw with it, and kinda liked it until I threw it again and realised just how overstable it was.

I had a Lighting Discs Rubber Putter when I first started playing that was pretty special.

Me too pre DuPont plastic, Uncles old disc he found on a course. The guy who had the disc just left it in the basket the day before to give to another player as he hated putting with the huge dome putters and he had a Comet one of the higher domed midranges made. So the disc was bran new when my uncle got it then I got it along with a DX Stingray I lost on a old Sign course in my town that is now gone all but one hole. My Uncle never used the disc as he had Aero's at the time, now uses Colts for that postion as he lost all his discs in a fire that burned up his house. He had some rare ones like a first edition KC Aviar the 9 time I think, and a old
Soft Rhyno he did not use once he found the old Pro Rhyno then found a better putter the Zone or Ringer in Pro D. I think Pro D Ringer as they are like a no thumbtack Rhyno.

a bad disc Besides the Epic was the Arrow Putter Arobie Made. Has no glide and is an actual brick in size. A Cousin uses one for a pin point Approach disc or for those old metal cone baskets as he has played in Minnesota and got one just to play a course. I see it as more useful then a Epic but still not that good of a disc and a Sonic or DX Pole Cat is what I would get if I had to Play a Cone basket course.

The worst disc I ever had was the River. Which is odd because it was at times the best disc I ever had... Or, at least, I would have said it was the best disc and meant it. Why then am I now saying "worst?". Well, it was a weird one. Just about every first throw with it was bad... Everytime out on the course...that first throw of the day with a River went wild. I lost more Rivers in water and woods because it would go wild. Yet, throws after that first one would range from suck to awesome. It is an awesome disc, but a little ornery for me. Probably just me not paying attention to nose angle or release point or whatever, but it was a consistent thing with only this one disc.

I'll add a disc to this thread: Freedom

Its lightning fast and tantalizing. It glides well. Problem is, it flips over at the drop of a hat and has zero low speed fade to bring it back. Once the Freedom flips over its going right for the entirety of the flight.

However, if you underthrow it or put too much hyzer on it it stalls out and fades well short of expectations.

Simply put, its a disc that is too understable for as fast as it is. I can get this thing to achieve max distance about 1 in 20 throws. It needs an absolutely perfect flight to pop up flat without flipping over entirely. The Freedom and the Queen might be the touchiest understable discs I've ever thrown.

Latest posts