• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

oldtimer

I first heard of the sport in 1978 when my friend Randall came home for the summer from Boston College. We played a few times that summer on object courses we made up. Then the next year I went to the University of Southren MS and discovered they had an object course sat up on campus. I played regularly the entire time I was there (several years as I got a masters too) back then I used a whamo 165G ultimate frisbee and no one carried more than 1. I then left school, got married and forgot about the sport. around 1999 I was living next to a school and found my old frisbee in a box. I went out and desined an 18 hole object course on the school grounds. a few months later I was in Jackson,Ms taking some ED classes and took my frisbee with me. I was asking about finding a park to go and throw at and someone told me there was a "golf " course at a certain park. So I show up with my old 165 frisbee and find guys with bags full of discs and shooting for baskets. I got a lot of strange looks that day and was able to purchase some disca that day. I have been playing ever since.

Late 94 / early 95 +/- (i remember it was a sunny cool day)

A neighbor walked over to the casa with a spliff and three extra Innova discs and asked me if I wanted to go to Zilker Park.

I still throw two of those three discs (type, not actual discs I started with)

Late 94 / early 95 +/- (i remember it was a sunny cool day)

A neighbor walked over to the casa with a spliff and three extra Innova discs and asked me if I wanted to go to Zilker Park.

I still throw two of those three discs (type, not actual discs I started with)

What would your life be like if he had 3 Discraft Discs?

Wow! Amazing stories!

I recall being out in the woods in some park - I think it was Oak Grove but I'm not sure - sometime in the mid- to late '70s. all of a sudden there was this gray disc spinning through the air, utterly silent, holding the same elevation for as long as I could see it - not long, but enough time to scare the **** out of me. Cue the "Outer Limits" music - I thought aliens were invading!

Fast-forward to 1998 and I'm living in Altadena, a hop, skip & jump from Oak Grove. I went out there for some reason (probably just driving aimlessly around, like we all used to do before gas prices went haywire) and saw people throwing plastic. Whoa! I asked where they could be bought, made it up to Alcorn Liquor, scored a Wolf (dig the doggie) and was hooked.

Sheesh, you guys have good memories.

I can't remember much of anything older than a few years ago but I do remember getting a puppy with my fiance (now my wife) 17 years ago and I remember getting bored walking him. I started to take him disc golfing with me. I had already been playing it for a few years very irregularly. Really, walking the dog is what got me into it. He didn't chase discs and loved running all over (Dalmatian ick). The courses were sparsely populated enough that it never caused issues and I always picked up after him, except for the time he killed a woodchuck. A few friends started joining me and off we went. Now I rarely take a dog with me because my wife likes them at home if I am gone.

I have a few friends that play but normally I play alone just for the alone time. If I meet someone and play with them all the better but really for me I just play against myself. Disc golf is like going grouse hunting for me. A nice walk with an actual goal in the middle.

I played object golf in my backyard growing up. once I hit college in the late 90's I found out that my object golf was very similar to poor man's disc golf. I bought a few discs choosing mainly by the design on the top of it. talked some buddies into coming with me and fell in love with it instantly playing everyday. moved to denver few years later and stopped playing except for every once and awhile (work). Got back into it about two years ago and now I play as much as i can (3-5) times a week. Over the last ten years playing I have met great friends, used it as an Icebreaker to meet my wife. and stayed healthy partly because of it.

Seems like a lot of people played for a while then stopped and are now addicted.

Summer of 1986, my friend while walking his dog finds a course in Niles,MI and we played 3 rounds the
next day using a 175g Frisbee. Rented a disc from the park office the next time, played weekly with a Phantom+ disc for 3 years.

Moved to the Philadelphia area in 1990 and have played Sedgley Woods sometimes 3 times a week
for the next 19 years. I have traveled a lot sometimes simply on DG roadtrips and now have played 230 courses in 28 states since '86.

Rotator cuff surgery in 2005 and 2006 with chronic arthritis now in my right shoulder. The caliber of
play is terrible these days but I'm still hooked. This year alone I've played about 9 courses in PA plus
1 each in NJ, MD, OH, KY and GA.

started out playin with a couple friends who would always play on weekends...just went and fooled around with it a couple times and didnt play again for a year. then i went another time with a friend and did a lot better than before and right after the round i went and bought my first disc...a discraft flash, hated the disc at first and never really had the arm for it. finally went and bought three different ones. i dont remember what they were except for a red star wraith that i could throw further than any disc before that....the wraith was what finally got me into the sport, and after that i played nearly every other day...and the rest is history

I will have to take a weekend to think about what I want to say although I post often enough, you guys could figure ot my history pretty easily.

Well luckily I have a really nice couse about 2 minutes from my house, Veterans Park. Growing up here I've gone to that park many many times for bike riding, school activities, hanging out with friends, etc etc. Each time out I saw disc golfers and was very interested in the sport. I played a couple times in highschool but never really had the time with school sports and what not. Once i graduated I got into some more partying and what not and we'd go out to the park to have some beers and throw a couple discs around no big deal. Well the sport really stuck with me and a couple of friends and I started playing more seiriously and putting a little more money into our equipment. I've only been real serious about the sport just under a year and I'm hoping that I will be able to stick through this hot tx summer weather we have coming up. I know most of my buddies are going to want to hit up the lake all the time, i'm just hoping we are able to get a few games in still.

-trev

My story is pretty basic. I come from a family of avid ball golfers and as much as I tried I just couldn't get into it. It may have been the whole spend a thousand dollars on a bag of clubs and pay 100 dollar course fees, don't know call me crazy, oh that and Im tall, 6'6, and finding clubs that work for me is no small feat. Anyways in 2005 a former co-worker of mine transferred from Austin. He introduced me to the world of disc golf. I was terrible at backhand and sidearm, but when he showed me the thumber I was hooked. The first course I ever played was Bear Branch and if you can throw a good thumber you can own that course. The only problem is, the thumber started causing tendinitis in my right bicep and I had to learn backhand. It has been an addiction ever since and after deciding to actually take this sport seriously I can't see doing anything else on my days off.

I was introduced to disc golf by a friend that I worked with. There were four of us who hung around alot after work. One guy had played before and loved it but his playing partner had stopped and he didn't like the idea of going alone. He kept his bag in the trunk along with an Ultrastar. We would throw the Ultrastar around and he would tell us about dg. Once we saw the disc we were amazed at them and wanted to give it a try. All four of us went to a course one day and we ended up playing three rounds. It didn't stick with one guy but the other two guys and myself made it a weekly thing.

We all ended up loosing our jobs because the company went under so we went our different ways. We worked different schedules and had a hard time meeting up. We all eventually got married and that made it even harder to meet so we stopped playing.

I needed cash so I sold alot of my plastic. I really didn't want to because I wanted to play again but was unsure if I was going to. I did it and wasn't very happy about it because I enjoyed the sport so much. A month or two later there was a new guy at my current job who asked out of the blue if I had ever played dg. We instanly started talking about it and throw together often. I kick myself everynight for letting all of my old stuff go.

Sadly neither of our wives are interested in throwing a disc but my little girl loves it. I have introduced my daughter and a friend of mine to the sport I love and they have their own disc also. I hope that they continue to play and spread the dg love one person at a time!

I started playing DG with lids when people didn't show up for Ultimate practice in college.
A guy w/some midnight flyers said - hey we can just play golf instead - and we proceeded to make up the course right there and then.
About 6 months later I went to my first tournament - that was in 1983 - the rest is history................er I mean - a blur :)

A little over a year ago, I was looking for a new summer activity for my church youth group. I had heard of Disc Golf, but only in passing. I came across a park here in Richmond, Bryan Park, that had a mention of the game on its web site. I plugged it in for a summer day trip and went to try it out with my son first. We played with cheap frisbees bought at a dollar store and must have scored in the low 100's!!!! But we loved the game. On a second trip we met some real DGers who showed us their true discs (they must have thought we were clowns with the cheap frisbees). They also told us where we could locally get some discs of our own. Ever since we have been playing and loving the sport! He has gotten a few of his friends into it and I have addicted a few guys from church and on the job (Law Enforcment). No looking back, we are now hooked! Played my first Tourny last weekend and did well and now play constantly.

I started playing to give my two sons something to entertain them when we went to Grandmas. Started at Highland in Baton Rouge. Love at first throw. It is something a dad can do with young sons without outclassing them. Of course when they got bigger and stronger they gave me no quarter!

grew up close to one of the first ever installed courses, but never ran across it until 93-94? it was put in back in '78 and i played baseball in the same park never knowing what was on the other side..i love to throw things accurately(pitching and outfield, quarterback) so i was hooked instantly..

I have always loved throwing Frisbees - played Ultimate for years. When I moved to Atlanta from Boston in 1993 it was too hot for me and the Ultimate scene was not too fun (very cliquish). Someone told me about DG and about a course (Wills Park) and I went out there with my Ultimate lid. I thought the guys carrying bags of discs were whacked since I could play better than them with my Frisbee. Little did I know...... But, I still went out there many times since I was hooked on trying to throw the perfect round.

Several years later I had moved to Charlotte and had forgotten about proper DG (Wills was the only course I knew about). I actually played object golf with Frisbees with all my wedding party friends the morning of my wedding. Shortly after that another couple invited us out to play. I was excited since my wife was excited! :) We went out to Kilborne and he gave me an old beat up Cyclone to play with. I sucked at throwing that thing but enjoyed the challenge of trying to figure out how to throw it. He gave it to me after the round.....and the rest is history.

Last edited: