• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is it alright to 3?

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
If the course were all the same distance holes, what distance would those holes have to be for a 54 to be a 1000 rated round?

Maybe there are things to throw around to make you shape lines, but your disc isn't getting treenied. So yeah, basically wide open.

I would guess an average hole length of 400 would get you pretty close to 1000. It depends how really "wide open" it is though.

I would guess an average hole length of 400 would get you pretty close to 1000. It depends how really "wide open" it is though.

So if a hole is 380', you better be deucing it if you don't want to drop a stroke on the field.

At what distance do 1000-rated players average 3.0? That is, do they get a 4 as often as they get a 2? (Assuming, if wide open, that they don't get 5s enough to move the needle).

Interesting question. Curious to see what people say... :popcorn:
I know this much:
1) I have no realistc expectation of deucing a 380' hole, because I don't expect to hit 100+ ft upshots with any regularity.
2) The only thing I have in common with 1000 rated players might be some of the discs we throw (but not the way we throw them).

Arcadia Park #2 in Texas seems to be a good example of roughly a 400' average, open course. Maybe 420' average is a better estimate for a 1000 rated 54 on that type of course.

If the hole is wide open I expect to duece up to 500', thinking behind that is I expect myself to make every putt inside the circle and even if I only get a drive out 470' I still expect to get a duece. But if the course is wide open I would say 1000 for a 54 the holes would have to be about 500, and if its a tight technical course I would say 1000 for a 54 would be about 380

At what distance do 1000-rated players average 3.0? That is, do they get a 4 as often as they get a 2? (Assuming, if wide open, that they don't get 5s enough to move the needle).

Yes. For a 54, they would need to take enough 2s to counteract the 4s. There should be an expectation of taking a 3.

What about a 45? When should they be taking as many 2s as 3s?

36?

I'll chime in with my guestimations in a couple hours after class.

If the hole is wide open I expect to duece up to 500', thinking behind that is I expect myself to make every putt inside the circle and even if I only get a drive out 470' I still expect to get a duece. But if the course is wide open I would say 1000 for a 54 the holes would have to be about 500, and if its a tight technical course I would say 1000 for a 54 would be about 380

This makes my noodle arm feel sadness.

Wide open - 500
Lightly wooded - 450
Heavily wooded - 375

I think that a 1000 rated player is expecting to drive 400' (at a minimum) with accuracy. Getting up and down from 100 ft wouldn't be an issue.

For those of you saying 500 feet:

What would a 54 on a 9,000' 18 hole open course be rated?

Last edited:
For those of you saying 500 feet:

What would a 54 on a 9,000' 18 hole open course be rated?

Roughly 1000, but im saying this because Im assuming that on every hole it is completely open with little to no trees around and in perfect conditions. I say this because it is quite simple to get a 3 on a wide open 500' hole.

I think the answer to Dan's original question lies somewhere closer to 400' than 500'. But that might speak more about rating flaws than anything else.

If holes are 400', I get the feeling that intermediate players should be shooting 54. The approach shots aren't long enough to be a differentiator for the 1000 rated guys.

So I would say you have to push the hole back to where players have to make an easy yet skilled approach shot. Say 520'. 1000 rated players throw 400', then make a 120' approach inside a 40' circle for a 20' putt or less. (but this is boring golf)

If you're making holes 420' or less, there will be too many 2s by the 1000 rated players.

Latest posts