• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2021?

Besides the Wisconsin wedding I would also love to take a few day/weekend bagging trips around MD, DE, PA, VA, and WV.

Within 3.5 hours or so my "local" bagging list includes roughly:

70 courses
20 courses rated 3.5+
13 courses rated 4.0+

Unless I can figure out how to retire early, local bagging (with a longer trip here or there) should keep me busy through 2021 and beyond. Health and pandemic willing, of course. :)

I got an 8 day trip lined up to Ludington MI to bag a bunch of awesome looking courses and hopefully Flip again in early June.

Then a 7 day trip up to Duluth and Hibbing MN in midish July. Finally hit Mont Du Lac. And everything in the vicinity.

Highbridge in August.

Hopefully fly out to Colorado in September and hit Bucksnort, Bailey, etc. Looks amazing over there.

I'm thinking about possibly chipping away at the Chicagoland area in late October. If not there then probably the twin cities. Undecided on that yet.

mont du lac is awesome

white cedar is easily on my top 5 fav list

also as a precaution but it seems like your mind is set hibbing is not worth the drive at all

Stupid COVID. We just lost our 13 y/o Chocolate Lab a few days ago. Mrs. ru4por says she want to wait till fall until we get another pup, but Mrs ru4por is full of hogwash. So, a new puppy is likely to put a cramp in our normal vacation lifestyle. COVID is likely the other nail in the coffin.

I am signed up for Ledgestone, but I am thinking that is a 50/50 COVID chance. The rest of the summer is now about deciding to go back to camping. I don't mind camping, I have done it all my life, but it is just harder as an old man. My buddies are all older and it is a pain in the ash for them too.

So, no plans yet, but it looks like a couple or three roadtrips without the wife and with my tent. Maybe next year it will be back to resorts, pools and breweries. I won't go too far, I am not a huge fan of driving either. Highbridge perhaps, Peoria if I back out of Ledgestone.....gonna have to keep thinkin' on it.

I didn't figure it would be but It's more courses to bag. Trying to get to 600 this year so it'll help get me closer.

you can blow thru all the hibbing area courses in a day around there too if you really tryin btw there was about 8 of them

pro move is to buy lift ticket at giants ridge and then just play the back 9

you can look up king of the north videos which is at giants ridge and like this video the real holes of giant ridge layout start at what is hole 4 in the video (they play 3 temp holes before starting the regular course layout)

https://youtu.be/s72OkFMjjtM?t=882

so youre literally throwing up the hill for the first 9 holes which is a complete waste of time and energy and fun

you can blow thru all the hibbing area courses in a day around there too if you really tryin btw there was about 8 of them

pro move is to buy lift ticket at giants ridge and then just play the back 9

you can look up king of the north videos which is at giants ridge and like this video the real holes of giant ridge layout start at what is hole 4 in the video (they play 3 temp holes before starting the regular course layout)

https://youtu.be/s72OkFMjjtM?t=882

Yeah I watched that tournament a month or so ago. Not a very exciting looking course. It's a sweet looking view at the top. That's about it though.

I need to dig up my answer from the 2020 thread and repost it.

Will 2021 be the year I finally make it up to Highbridge? We'll see. I'm once again targeting September, so that's at least somewhat reasonable. We were less than a week away last year when a covid exposure forced us to cancel.

I need to dig up my answer from the 2020 thread and repost it.

Will 2021 be the year I finally make it up to Highbridge? We'll see. I'm once again targeting September, so that's at least somewhat reasonable. We were less than a week away last year when a covid exposure forced us to cancel.

I hope you can make it up there. Tom and the crew up there had it looking amazing. I made it up there last May and August for the first time in 7 years. It was the best I'd ever seen the place look. Even with the modified Blueberry and Gold layouts. Bear might be my favorite there now. I think it has all new baskets too. Granite Ridge is probably second with 2 pins per hole. It was amazing in August.

This is a different, and much better, version of Highbridge. Nows the time to go. You won't be disappointed.

Stupid COVID. We just lost our 13 y/o Chocolate Lab a few days ago. Mrs. ru4por says she want to wait till fall until we get another pup, but Mrs ru4por is full of hogwash. So, a new puppy is likely to put a cramp in our normal vacation lifestyle. COVID is likely the other nail in the coffin.

I am signed up for Ledgestone, but I am thinking that is a 50/50 COVID chance. The rest of the summer is now about deciding to go back to camping. I don't mind camping, I have done it all my life, but it is just harder as an old man. My buddies are all older and it is a pain in the ash for them too.

So, no plans yet, but it looks like a couple or three roadtrips without the wife and with my tent. Maybe next year it will be back to resorts, pools and breweries. I won't go too far, I am not a huge fan of driving either. Highbridge perhaps, Peoria if I back out of Ledgestone.....gonna have to keep thinkin' on it.

I love to drive and camp out too, one of the benefits of being a 150 pound smurf is that sleeping on the ground in a tent is easy peasy. I've spent many nights camping out on disc golf trips over the past decade, and never gave much thought to it, but nowadays the one thing that does concern me is ticks. If your camping out doing tick checks isn't easy. I've pretty much just rolled the dice and gotten lucky so far, but thinking about it now damn it seems really risky, and I'm a little hesitant to be so cavalier about it this year.

What do you do to mitigate that issue?

I love to drive and camp out too, one of the benefits of being a 150 pound smurf is that sleeping on the ground in a tent is easy peasy. I've spent many nights camping out on disc golf trips over the past decade, and never gave much thought to it, but nowadays the one thing that does concern me is ticks. If your camping out doing tick checks isn't easy. I've pretty much just rolled the dice and gotten lucky so far, but thinking about it now damn it seems really risky, and I'm a little hesitant to be so cavalier about it this year.

Permethrin. It is an insecticide, spray it on and it lasts for like 6 weeks or 6 washes. I spray the bottom of my shorts, socks, the bottom of my shirts, bags, boots, cart. If camping, I wold even consider my tent. This stuff kill ticks dead. It is said to help with mosquitoes, but I can't really testify, they don't usually bother me. Of course, this is only a line of defense. Tick checks are another line....and should not be skipped. I hesitate to use the stuff. It is supposed to be safe, but using such a chemical always give me hesitation. I don't like DEET either. If I am going on a trip or to parts of the country where ticks are even worse than here, I do this. This summer camping might send me to use it.

This product is very bad for cats. I have heard of it killing them.

Probably camping in northern PA this June, hoping to bag NY on the way home. Also planning another Flip City run in July. BG Ams Open end of April.

Also, possibly getting Harmon Hills this summer. Could possibly work that into adding NC and VA as bagged states. NC will be difficult since we'll be camping (most likely) in the southern area of Smoky Mountain NP and there's no course in NC within an hour. May be able to visit family in Asheville though...

Permethrin.

This product is very bad for cats. I have heard of it killing them.

Good insight, as usual, ru4por. I was going to quote this post anyway asking about this, but you included it anyway. This is a no go for me then since I got 3 of the little s**** :D

Good insight, as usual, ru4por. I was going to quote this post anyway asking about this, but you included it anyway. This is a no go for me then since I got 3 of the little s**** :D

Last year I got 2 that jumped aboard that I was able to get off before they could do any damage. One at a friend's private backyard course and a second at my backyard basket. Both times they jumped on my lower legs and I was wearing shorts. Both of those places are suburban city areas.

Usually a good quick tick check after the round before I jump in the car, a second really thorough one at home of the clothes and some careful bedroom mirror checking of the body, and finally a good hot shower and towel off will do the trick. This method has worked 100% so far.

planned so far:

January : norcal and Southern Oregon
February: New Mexico, Southern Arizona, Texas, and Louisana
March: Socal
April: ------
May: Alaska
June: ------
July: New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia
August: New Jersey
September: -----
October: -------
November: Hawaii
December: -----

I haven't decide what I plan to play but I will have the opportunity to play 1-2 courses in each state with my son while the trip is mostly a family trip with a bit of disc golf mixed in.

New York : Heckscher Forest DGC
New Jersey: Thompson Park
Pennylvania: Sedgley Woods
Delaware: Lums Pond State Park
Maryland: White Marsh & Kinder Farms Park
Virginia: Clark's Run Main

Should be plenty warm by then. ;)

What courses are you looking to play?

I haven't decide what I plan to play but I will have the opportunity to play 1-2 courses in each state with my son while the trip is mostly a family trip with a bit of disc golf mixed in.

New York : Heckscher Forest DGC
New Jersey: Thompson Park
Pennylvania: Sedgley Woods
Delaware: Lums Pond State Park
Maryland: White Marsh & Kinder Farms Park

Sounds fun! Couple of suggestions:

Stafford Woods (NJ) is just off the highway and well worth playing.
Anson B. Nixon Park (PA) is underrated (imo) and quite enjoyable.
Seneca Creek and Patapsco Valley (MD) are excellent woods courses halfway between Kinder Farms and Clark's Run (depending which way you drive). Also, remember that Clark's Run has a little 9-hole putter course (Scattersville) that you can play as a quick warm-up for the main course.

Looks like you plan to head down the Eastern Shore and across the Bay Bridge. If you drive down I-95 instead:
Muddy Run (PA) is a fabulous course not too far off your route.
Mill Brook (MD) is a very nice course close to the highway.

Consider getting an E-Z Pass for tolls, if you don't already have one.

And lastly, don't discount the value of shaded, woodsy courses during the mid-Atlantic summer. :)

Let me know if you're looking for some company when you're in the area. You were a great course guide for me when I was in Cali many years ago, I'd love to return the favor!

A decent amount of outdoor apparel companies have started making clothing with Insectshield, which is supposed to help keep bugs away. And s lot of times that clothing is also made of a moisture wicking polyester that will also be odor resistant. So they work well for camping situations where you may not have access to a shower on a daily basis.

I likely won't get many opportunities to travel, but I know that I have an opportunity to road trip over the weekend of March 12th. I love in St. Louis, so I'm trying to figure out where I want to drive, and what would provide that best balance of quality and quantity on that Saturday and Sunday. I think plan A so far is Cincinnati to hit Idlewild, Mt. Airy Forest, and Lincoln Ridge, along with some other courses in Cincinnati or Louisville on the way back.

I also plan to make the relatively short drive to play Harmony Bends in the Spring or Summer.

Latest posts