• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2022?

Wisconsin Course

Will do! Probably make a few trips up there considering it's only like and hour and 45 minutes from Milwaukee. Any courses I should definitely check out while up there?

Hey, I'm from Minnesota but have played a majority of what look to be the best courses in Wisconsin. A bit surprised by the suggestions or lack of a few so far but here is my Wisconsin list of what Id consider the best courses. One that was mentioned was Axeldog Acres, which I have played several times and would recommend.

1,) Rolling Ridge is a must play
2.) Sandy Point is a must play and stay
3.) Rookery Run is a must play
4.) Highbridge hills is an obvious day or two due to the number of courses, many of which are pretty sweet.
5.) Brickyard is one of the better 9 holers and is somewhat close to Axeldog so you could take both those together.
6.) Yulga is one of the funnest courses I have played due quick play time (depending on when you go)
7.)Standing rocks is a must play if playing yulga and vice versa
8.)Big Eau Pleine is pretty decent.
9.)Axeldog Acres

Those would be my bucket listers for you. It all depends on what exactly you primarily look for. If you like technical, most on the list above will satisfy you quite well. If you are more of an open park course kinda guy with distance being your thing, maybe stick to Rookery Run and Highbridge hills courses, but I have a hard time believing everyone wouldn't love what Sandy Point and the rest of those courses. Definitely go Axeldog as well. I personally wasn't a big fan of the Tower Ridge Courses, in general I'm not big on ski hill courses as they get to be alot more work than I'm in on, though standing rocks will give you plenty of work.

Hey, I'm from Minnesota but have played a majority of what look to be the best courses in Wisconsin. A bit surprised by the suggestions or lack of a few so far but here is my Wisconsin list of what Id consider the best courses. One that was mentioned was Axeldog Acres, which I have played several times and would recommend.

1,) Rolling Ridge is a must play
2.) Sandy Point is a must play and stay
3.) Rookery Run is a must play
4.) Highbridge hills is an obvious day or two due to the number of courses, many of which are pretty sweet.
5.) Brickyard is one of the better 9 holers and is somewhat close to Axeldog so you could take both those together.
6.) Yulga is one of the funnest courses I have played due quick play time (depending on when you go)
7.)Standing rocks is a must play if playing yulga and vice versa
8.)Big Eau Pleine is pretty decent.
9.)Axeldog Acres

Those would be my bucket listers for you. It all depends on what exactly you primarily look for. If you like technical, most on the list above will satisfy you quite well. If you are more of an open park course kinda guy with distance being your thing, maybe stick to Rookery Run and Highbridge hills courses, but I have a hard time believing everyone wouldn't love what Sandy Point and the rest of those courses. Definitely go Axeldog as well. I personally wasn't a big fan of the Tower Ridge Courses, in general I'm not big on ski hill courses as they get to be alot more work than I'm in on, though standing rocks will give you plenty of work.

im not sure if you were lookin for advice but for wi try mont du lac complex specifically white cedar

wilderness was also a solid play

i disagree with you saying sandy point is stay worthy

im not sure if you were lookin for advice but for wi try mont du lac complex specifically white cedar

wilderness was also a solid play

i disagree with you saying sandy point is stay worthy

Aww.. whats wrong with SP?? Cozzens are some of the nicest people and great hosts.

The course itself might not be the most challenging, but I would definitely rather play SP over some of the more grueling courses that require a lot of walking and elevation changes.

Sandy Point's biggest plus is the hospitality in my opinion. It's like staying at a really nice Bed and Breakfast.. but one that has a 20+ hole course and a proshop on site.

Aww.. whats wrong with SP?? Cozzens are some of the nicest people and great hosts.

The course itself might not be the most challenging, but I would definitely rather play SP over some of the more grueling courses that require a lot of walking and elevation changes.

Sandy Point's biggest plus is the hospitality in my opinion. It's like staying at a really nice Bed and Breakfast.. but one that has a 20+ hole course and a proshop on site.

nothings really wrong with it

just has minimal replay value and the surrounding area is sparse so its not really a destination course or destination area

they didnt shovel the pads when i stopped by in winter

i had to shovel most pads and i p2p

so that amazing hospitality seemed to be the opposite end of what i experienced

nothings really wrong with it

just has minimal replay value and the surrounding area is sparse so its not really a destination course or destination area

Gotta disagree with ya there. Brandy Lake is only like 15 minutes away from SP and while it's not a destination course, it's a great warmup for Sandy Point. Also, Rookery Run is looking like it's becoming one of the better courses in the northern part of the state and that's about 45ish away.

I'd for sure drive up Lac Du Flambeau to bag those three alone and then there's Almon Park, Sugar Camp, Camp Luther Pines.. shoot, I don't know how you could hate on Vilas/Oneida county disc golf aside from the fact it's a far drive for most folks.

Gotta disagree with ya there. Brandy Lake is only like 15 minutes away from SP and while it's not a destination course, it's a great warmup for Sandy Point. Also, Rookery Run is looking like it's becoming one of the better courses in the northern part of the state and that's about 45ish away.

I'd for sure drive up Lac Du Flambeau to bag those three alone and then there's Almon Park, Sugar Camp, Camp Luther Pines.. shoot, I don't know how you could hate on Vilas/Oneida county disc golf aside from the fact it's a far drive for most folks.

feel free to call mid tier courses a destination

however i think youre both stretching

they didnt shovel the pads when i stopped by in winter

i had to shovel most pads and i p2p

so that amazing hospitality seemed to be the opposite end of what i experienced

It's listed as permanent but in the description it says open May 1st to November 1st.

I love Sandy Point personally, but I'd agree the area itself isn't really destination worthy unless you lump Highbridge in with it. But that's a stretch being over a hour away from each other.

It's listed as permanent but in the description it says open May 1st to November 1st.

I love Sandy Point personally, but I'd agree the area itself isn't really destination worthy unless you lump Highbridge in with it. But that's a stretch being over a hour away from each other.

hmmm their website says year round

maybe was some confusion there either way i should let it go

it was a great play but no way if someone asked me for destination/stay worthy cities or courses that i would even consider this in the conversation

however upper midwest folks def can enjoy the treat that is in rural northern wi

So I'm thinking of heading to KC in September instead of MI. Add a couple states (KS and NE) and play some highly rated courses. Water Works, Blue Valley, Pickard, Hummel, Longview etc. It's looking pretty solid so far, and might be able to hit up Cedar Creek on the way back. 700 here I come :hfive:

So I'm thinking of heading to KC in September instead of MI. Add a couple states (KS and NE) and play some highly rated courses. Water Works, Blue Valley, Pickard, Hummel, Longview etc. It's looking pretty solid so far, and might be able to hit up Cedar Creek on the way back. 700 here I come :hfive:

Nice! Looks like you have marked the few I played in KC. I enjoyed Water Works, Bad Rock Creek, and Rosedale - Top (didn't get time to play Down Under, which looks fun). Looks like there may be construction at William Jewell, which is a shame because it was a fun niner near Bad Rock Creek.

And hey, for an extra 4 hours driving each way you can play the two high-rated courses at The Lodge and add Oklahoma to your ever-growing list.

Either way, I hope you have a blast!

And hey, for an extra 4 hours driving each way you can play the two high-rated courses at The Lodge and add Oklahoma to your ever-growing list.

Don't give me any ideas, I just might do it. 😁

*Starts looking at OK courses*

Got rained out in PA and couldn't play the Monster down in Green Lane. Had to shelf it for October (gas prices permitting at this point).

If anyone is coming to south Florida (why this time of year though), there is a second course now installed at Commons park in Royal Palm Beach (west of West Palm). It's fairly open and has a lot less water in play than the lakeside course. Not up on UDisc yet. No signs yet and pads were poured this week, so give it another week or so (or better yet wait until hurricane season ends) and come down to south Florida.

Bagging plans? I have sooooo many bagging plans. :rolleyes:

Couple of new possible trips popped up:

Forest VA: Trip with the guys from the neighborhood - we played object Frisbee golf before disc golf existed. Main targets are the McBeth courses (New London Tech, Independence Park), Walnut Creek, Kiwanis DGC, and Limestone Ledges - Massanutten Monster. Buddy who is hosting has dogs so this will be a rare trip without Red Dog. :(

Cape Cod: Visiting friends with spousal unit and hoping to test out the conversion van. Also hoping to bag NY (Brakewell Steel, Beacon Glades, Leonard Park), and maybe VT (Living Memorial Park) and NH (The Hollows).

Couple of new possible trips popped up:

Forest VA: Trip with the guys from the neighborhood - we played object Frisbee golf before disc golf existed. Main targets are the McBeth courses (New London Tech, Independence Park), Walnut Creek, Kiwanis DGC, and Limestone Ledges - Massanutten Monster. Buddy who is hosting has dogs so this will be a rare trip without Red Dog. :(

Cape Cod: Visiting friends with spousal unit and hoping to test out the conversion van. Also hoping to bag NY (Brakewell Steel, Beacon Glades, Leonard Park), and maybe VT (Living Memorial Park) and NH (The Hollows).

Hmmm....conversion van, huh? Did you buy one or build it? We have been bouncing this idea around for travel. Funny how COVID changes my view of retirement plans.

Hmmm....conversion van, huh? Did you buy one or build it? We have been bouncing this idea around for travel. Funny how COVID changes my view of retirement plans.

Bought the van used and plain, stepson and son did the conversion. Between the two they have backgrounds in engineering, welding, carpentry, etc. Son is scheduled to drive the van back from Oregon next week.

I get what you are saying about retirement plans. I hope we always have dogs, so a conversion van seems like a dog-friendly way to travel.

Let's hear where you're going to bag some courses this year. Road trips, local loops, whatever. Let's hear it.

I got a beast of a trip lined up for early/mid May. East TN/West NC and all the goodness I can fit in on the way back to WI.

Looking like a bagging trip/family things down in SE WI. Would like to smash out as much as possible in Crystal Lake IL. It'll be early July so it'll be stupid hot, or March weather for you southerners.

If Tobaggan's up and running in October like last year that's what I'm thinking of for now. That's up in the air.

I want to know where you guys/gals are going this year. :thmbup:

The east TN/west NC trip went off flawlessly. Couldn't have been happier with it.

Headed to Chicagoland in a few weeks. Going to try to bag pretty much everything in the SW corner of that area, so Jolietish area instead of Crystal Lake. Should be able to push damn close to 700 on that trip.

Scrapped the Tobaggan/MI idea in September. Going down to KC and back up through NE and a few in SD and MN. Add a couple new states and hit some midwest goodies that way. Going to try to actually hit the Cedar Creek complex with elmex on the way back if he doesn't break himself again like last year ;)

Forest VA: Trip with the guys from the neighborhood - we played object Frisbee golf before disc golf existed. Main targets are the McBeth courses (New London Tech, Independence Park), Walnut Creek, . . .

Virginia Piedmont tour completed! Did not bag as many courses as hoped, but 5 of the 6 were highly enjoyable. The Fox @ Coyner Springs would be a fun winter spin, but poison ivy- and tick-infested rough ate two of my putters, plus signs warning of bears in the area. :eek:

Independence Park and Walnut Creek were my favorites from the trip, with mature woods and plenty of hills and thrills. Also enjoyed Sandusky Park, a lovely par-3 course. I liked Moneta too, but a fairly open course was less than ideal on a muggy 90°F day. New London Tech was impressive at 11,500 feet, but many fairways were sufficiently wide that we just hucked distance drivers until we could see the basket.

Walnut Creek has been on my list for years, so it was nice to finally bag it. And it was great to toss Frisbees, sample breweries and cideries, and eat BBQ brisket tacos with a group who have been friends since elementary school. :D

Latest posts