• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

This year will be the 29th Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open. Also held Worlds, has awesome courses. The quantity is lacking, but good quality golf. The club is awesome. Maybe not the best mecca, but it's gotta be up there.
All true about Pittsburgh area. My only complaint when playing Worlds is everything is so spread out where commute times are longer and some ideal routes involve tolls.

All true about Pittsburgh area. My only complaint when playing Worlds is everything is so spread out where commute times are longer and some ideal routes involve tolls.

That is very true. One of the main reasons it's hard. Technically, the Pittsburgh courses are in suburbs surrounding, making it easy for two courses only 20 minutes from downtown, almost an hour from eachother.

Let's see, within 45 mins [or less] of Portland there is:
Milo [27]
Timber
Dabney
North Bonneville
Blue Lake
Pier
McCormick
Trojan
Horning's [3 courses]
Buxton
Stub Stewart
Hagg Lake
Wheatland
Most of these are outside the confines of Portland, and don't include any 9s, and several 18s I'd consider not worth the time.

I'd also select Lake Tahoe, and the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area.

I think of a Mecca as a destination that has to be visited. So other factors that might apply if you lived there aren't relevant to me. And it has to be one spot. (Sorry, history teacher here). So maybe DeLaveaga? And top of the world would be the Kaaba. I'm not sold on it though.

I think of a Mecca as a destination that has to be visited. So other factors that might apply if you lived there aren't relevant to me. And it has to be one spot. (Sorry, history teacher here). So maybe DeLaveaga? And top of the world would be the Kaaba. I'm not sold on it though.

I agree with the logic. Though it puts everyone's individual Mecca somewhere other than their home region---and that certainly makes for a shorter thread.

But, yes, the place that you should visit at least once in a lifetime. Bad weather seasons don't matter, because you can make your once-in-a-lifetime visit in good weather. Clubs and tournaments don't matter, unless an event is part of your Mecca (i.e.; USDGC). 40 or 80 courses don't matter, unless your idea of a Mecca is someplace where you can engage is a disc golf marathon.

For the sport's Mecca---the place where most disc golfers aspire to play at least once in their life---the answer is probably that we have several.

I don't like rednecks so Texas is out. I hate toothless hillbillies so the Carolina's are out. Hipster's are annoying so California is out. That leaves me with KC and Highbridge. KC for dg destination to live in, Highbridge for the dg destination to travel to.

Sweet, we don't need you degrading our superior scene. Enjoy your 3 decent courses hahahahaha.

I'm going to say Charlotte. There are just so many incredible courses all within a 45 minute window of each other in that area.

Of the ones I've been to the places that I have really grown to live and miss when I am unable to go there are; Portland, or
Augusta, ga
Grand Rapids, MI
And Reedsville, WI(not for how many courses, that's just where the one I consider best in the world is)

Just an opinion, and not a complete one, but those are all awesome. West Atlanta is getting pretty darn stout too. With Hobbs Farm, White Oak, Frog Rock, Oregon Park, the new Deerlick layout, Hunter Park and My personal favorite Boundary Waters, the scene is booming.

That's only because MY course has 10 baskets. Otherwise...

Well, my course now has 18 baskets, so it doesn't quite stand up to the competition of other courses in that category... The new course I'm building down the road though will be in the running when I'm done.

Probably a little bias but Greater Cincinnati gets my vote......

Idlewild, Mt. Airy (home of The Nati Disc Golf), Lincoln Ridge, Osage Grove, William Harbin, AJ Jolly, Gulley, Monroe, plus another 20+ courses all within 30 minutes of downtown Cincy

I live near Philly and have driven across PA and OH often more than once a year for the past 25 years. I still can't decide if Cincy or Pittsburgh has better golf, both of their top 3's are outstanding. Maybe I should start a separate thread?

I guess that my answer would depend on the definition of 'Mecca'. Taken at its most literal, Oak Grove would be my first choice, which makes me a DG Hajji. ;)

I would say the DFW area. Seems we have a ton of courses with decent ratings and I'm always finding out more and more people I know play.

Might as well have titled this thread, "Where do you live and where have you traveled?" And be sure to brag about it like the small circle of courses around your home area is special (despite the fact that you've seldom/never traveled outside of it). Because anywhere you haven't lived or traveled, well everything sucks. Because you said so.

That might be a salty commentary, but hey It would be a more accurate discussion..

Toss-up between Pittsburgh area and Charlotte for me based on what I've experienced so far. Charlotte has ridiculous quantity AND quality, while PA has three of the best courses I've played in very close proximity. Would I take Deer Lakes, Moraine and Knob Hill over Charlotte's 3 best? Yes. As a complete experience, I prefer Charlotte though. More courses, better food, better weather save for mid-summer etc.

we could go on and on. for me the scenery and atmosphere makes for good golf. crowded suburbia with hot sweltering temps in the summer ie charlotte immediately takes all course ratings down a notch or two...

so, me personally, I'm a nature freak. one of the main reasons why I like dg... so the mecca is yeah somewhere special. like when you are camping out on great dg getaway. you can see the stars not just light pollution and smog.

this mecca is located in .............................................................................................

Charlotte gets warm, but courses like Nevin, RL and Angry Beaver don't exactly give me a crowded suburbia vibe. There are plenty of more secluded feeling courses, especially if you're willing to go outside the 485 loop to places like Chester State Park and Dry Creek. Knocking two notches of those quality courses because you're a little sweaty and there are houses within a mile or two seems kind of silly to me.

Even courses literally plopped down in the middle of a neighborhood, like Lookout Park, play just fine despite the park being shared space.

Last edited:
we could go on and on. for me the scenery and atmosphere makes for good golf. crowded suburbia with hot sweltering temps in the summer ie charlotte immediately takes all course ratings down a notch or two...

so, me personally, I'm a nature freak. one of the main reasons why I like dg... so the mecca is yeah somewhere special. like when you are camping out on great dg getaway. you can see the stars not just light pollution and smog.

this mecca is located in .............................................................................................

So whats the difference between this and freezing cold temps in the north and midwest for 4 months in the winter. Charlotte, I played 20 rounds this winter in a t-shirt. Im from NY, NC is not "sweltering" like you see in the north or south, our humidity isnt terrible, and mostly people clear out of Charlotte proper and there are tons of cool breweries and food places, museums, etc. That and 100 courses within 50miles. I hate cities, but Charlotte is about as easy to get around as you will find for a city its size.

Might as well have titled this thread, "Where do you live and where have you traveled?" And be sure to brag about it like the small circle of courses around your home area is special (despite the fact that you've seldom/never traveled outside of it). Because anywhere you haven't lived or traveled, well everything sucks. Because you said so.

That might be a salty commentary, but hey It would be a more accurate discussion..

You are bitter because you live in Brownbackistan.

Latest posts