• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which is more important...

Ricochet62

disc speed or disc spin??

Actual physical speed not "speed" rating of a disc vs actual rotations of the disc while in flight??

yep, I'm new to this and learning... and trying to get better by understanding the science and physics of things...

IMO speed is more important for pure distance with high speed drivers. Spin is more important for glide with midrange and approach discs. Drivers make up for lack of spin with higher speeds. Midranges aren't meant for speed but need more spin to get that glide they need.

Neither is more important, you need both to get a disc to fly right. You can have all the speed you want, but if you can't get it spinning, it isn't going to go very far.

They go together. Ejection speed though is more important. You're never going to launch a disc fast without the proper spin though.

If someone is capable of throwing a Leopard 280-300' but their form doesn't have a lot of spin imparted on the disc...it might start acting understable. Someone with better form might be able to get the same disc 330' with a similar amount of turn, because they have a better balance of speed and spin.

It's hard to quantify. But, discs that seem understable might not actually become too flippy if your form improves. At a certain power level, of course they can become turnover/rollers though.

You can spin a disc and have it not travel anywhere but up and down.

You also can try to power toss a disc as hard as you want with some kind of karate chop crap but its not going to fly well without spin.

More speed always gives more D but trying to spin the disc wont help. It will stabilize a throw to an extent given clean release.

Someone feel free to correct me, but I think it's a bit like the relationship of a football to a spiral. If you're trying to throw a football, especially for maximum distance, you'd better darn well be putting some spin on it. The point is, you need translational speed mixed with spin which will provide aerodynamic stability. Throwing the disc properly will impart spin, since you're creating a kind of "lever action" on the disc around the fulcrum of your grip. Just try getting a disc up to speed without making it spin... Eventually, you benefit from trying to minimize wobble and having the correct release angle; but I've never been convinced that there's a particular benefit in trying to increase or decrease the your disc's spin.

Summary: you need both. I don't think I've blown any minds.

Last edited:
Summary: you need both. I don't think I've blown any minds.

It pretty much is that simple.

I think you CAN get decent but unpredictable distance with high ejection speed from low-ish spin release, but really if you are throwing properly speed and spin are both going to be produced together.

You can spin a disc and have it not travel anywhere but up and down.

You also can try to power toss a disc as hard as you want with some kind of karate chop crap but its not going to fly well without spin.

More speed always gives more D but trying to spin the disc wont help. It will stabilize a throw to an extent given clean release.

What? :confused:

I went to a clinic with Avery and Simon Lizotte. They said to spin it as much as you can. Simon said his game improved from practicing driving with putters.

meaning if you are actively making some motion to try and impart more spin on the disc it will not help your throw.

Strongly disagree with this. I routinely modulate the amount of spin I put my on flex upshots. If I want it to maintain anhyzer or stay flat all the way to the ground I put more spin on it. If I want it to come back I put less spin on it. If you let spin just happen as basically tied to your forward velocity you're losing out on a whole 'nother level of control for shaping shots.

and trying to get better by understanding the science and physics of things...

Yeti talking about the Gyroscopic Airplane Wing helped me wrap my head around the science part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IT7aABWEKw

I would have to agree with Bearded guy about spin.

"More than any of the other factors, the proper use of controlled spin to help a disc turn over is the mark of an expert." From https://allthingsdiscgolf.com/mastering-turnover-shot-equal-parts-art-science/

...It's hard to quantify. But, discs that seem understable might not actually become too flippy if your form improves. At a certain power level, of course they can become turnover/rollers though.

Totally. I had a particularly flat MVP Wave that at first seemed super flippy. I almost didnt bag it. As i practiced i realized i wasnt goving it what it wanted. I took that as a sign and intentionally improved my form. Now, 250ft laserbeam. Really had to dial that one in.

Last edited:
Strongly disagree with this. I routinely modulate the amount of spin I put my on flex upshots. If I want it to maintain anhyzer or stay flat all the way to the ground I put more spin on it. If I want it to come back I put less spin on it. If you let spin just happen as basically tied to your forward velocity you're losing out on a whole 'nother level of control for shaping shots.
You're so full ofnit. I hope people dont read your posts often and think you know what you're talking about.

Spin does not = speed.

Im taking this advice straight to field practice today. Thank you! :)

He just posts a lot of craziness re:discs flight.

You cant really control spin and trying to do so will not help any part of your game. Different diameter discs will "spin" at different rates with the same throw too. (i used to believe i was the almighty controller of spin but its more about disc speed...)

Its been shown here that actual rpms vs speed of a throw doesnt directly relate and some longer or faster throws actually had a lower spin to speed ratio.

Stability is determined by the aerodynamic design and weight distribution. Spin maintains the disc's orientation/nose angle, not its stability.

if we are talking the exact same throwing motion then who someone throws with higher arm speed will generate more spin. if they don't, tell them to get some man hands because their drives will be slipping out early.

higher arm speed throws farther and generates more spin. spin is a byproduct which can be influenced . . . by moving your arm/hips/shoulders slower. ;)

Nope. Player 1 will throw farther in almost all cases. Spin doesn't create any lift and doesn't help your disc stay in the air. All spin does is try to keep the disc flying with the same orientation.

Don't worry about spin; try to improve your speed. Throwing with a lot of speed will result in enough spin.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?p=97136

"When i tried to spin the hell out of the disc it had less rpms vs normal throw..."

You cant really control spin and trying to do so will not help any part of your game. .

That's just not true. I can most certainly intentionally throw a touch upshot with a lot of spin or a little. As was mentioned, the amount of spin will affect the shape of your throw. It's difficult to control, but definitely not impossible.

He just posts a lot of craziness re:discs flight.

You cant really control spin and trying to do so will not help any part of your game. Different diameter discs will "spin" at different rates with the same throw too. (i used to believe i was the almighty controller of spin but its more about disc speed...)

Wow. Not only do you have reading comprehension problem, you're just plain wrong. If I have a RHBH upshot under 200' that I don't want any fade on (such as a tunnel shot that curves to the right), I'll use my overstable Gator and put it on an anhyzer, flicking it at the end of my release for more spin. Doing that increases spin and ensures the gyroscopic stability necessary to hold it on the line I choose - in this case a curve to the right ending flat without fade. If the shot was exactly the same, but I needed the disc to come back left at the end with fade, I'd release at the same angle and speed, but no flick at the end - same shot, but less spin/gyroscopic stability so the disc comes back and fades left. If you can't control your shots like this, I'm very sorry.