• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who has played the most courses in their home state?

As expected, bjflash took back bragging rights to Arkansas yesterday. But I did have bragging rights for Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas for 2 days

I keep thinking I am going to run out of courses to play within driving range. While I have made some 1000mile trips in a day, I still have several courses that just keep popping up I have not played yet. Another one popped up today in Shreveport, a 4 hole practice course.

I am thinking a short trip this week playing the new course in Commerce (Centennial), a new P2P course near Pittsburg (Blackberry Pines by Harpoon Larry) , then a new course in Tyler (TJC Apache Woodlands) and hit the Gregg Barsby designed course in Van (McMillan).

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, it has been painful at times. Sometimes that is literal pain fighting my way through thorns and overgrown holes. More than once I have asked myself, "Why am I doing this?" But that is also offset by the many cool little towns I've seen, and the places that I would never have visited otherwise. There is just enough mystery of discovery in the adventure. Also, there are just enough times that I discover an overlooked gem of a course, or at least one hole that made a course worthwhile, to keep me on my quest. For example, I keep a list of the "Great Greens in NC" and I found another one last week on a flawed course. Providentially, I started on hole 13 and this was on hole 12 so I finished on a high note with a beautiful basket.

that's a cool idea. i've noticed some really cool holes on absolutely forgettable courses and at this point i can't recall nearly any of them. i should keep a list.

agreed also on the cool little towns that i got to see that i never would have driven through if not to play DG. i often regret not getting to spend more time in them but bagging more courses that day always takes precedence.

My early, and for many years, traveling bud, was a brew pub guy, in the days when they were still relatively few and far between. So, we ended, or sometimes, for lunch, road trip days, with a great beer or two, with some locals. It was a nice addition to the journeys.

The one good thing about Wisconsin is all the great hole in the wall pubs and diners.

I've gotten some good eats from places I'd never otherwise had ever had the chance to enjoy. I'm a small town livin kinda guy anyways so I always like playing DG in towns because it feels like I'm at home.

Hey all, Just finished Number 361 out of 361 in Minnesota! One hundred percent again - yay!
That is very impressive sir! Do you have an Extinct MN courses to add to that? That would put you over 100%, as I am in NC.

Although, to be fair, I also subtract the Practice Areas that are counted on DGCR because I do not consider them to be courses.

Oh well. I am still part of the select company that has bagged 100% of Washington, DC (all 6 holes lol). :rolleyes:
I am also in that august company. Someday can we claim 51 States in America?

Somewhat seriously thinking about trying to play all of Hawaii - any ideas from you all on this or other states? Keep 'em flyin' ….
I'm currently the #1 course bagger in HI... with 12 played. The numbers are tantalizingly low, but the costs, planning, and added logistics are great. As of Sept 2021 I had played every playable course on 3 islands-- O'ahu, Big Island, Maui-- but, as usual, soon after that a new course opened on the Big Island. So now I need to go back to get that 1 course on the Big Island and Kauai too.

My main advice is that the special circumstances in HI require a great deal of advance planning. There are courses that require the locals to carry around a portable basket to set up on each hole, so you need to coordinate with them ahead of time. UH in Honolulu is an object course. You also need to find people who can sponsor you to get you on military base courses. To play on 4 islands you also need to arrange flights, lodging, and transportation to each island.

But I also played my new #1 Top Favorite course! It is on the mountain slope of an extinct volcano in a national park. It also has no tee signs, homemade baskets made from car tires, and is completely impossible to play without a local guide (by design). The incredible Hawaiian terrain overrode all of those drawbacks though! It goes by the generic name "Upcountry" because there is a story and some drama that goes with that.

If anyone wants information about planning a dg trip to Hawaii feel free to message me.

I now think this is an interesting dilemma here.

1. Which course has the most top courses that someone like Dwayne (Bogey No More) would care to play.

2. I can't wait to see opinions of what constitutes a top course, a mid-level and a low level. Or would you want to have five tiers of courses such as 4.0 and above, 3.0 to 4.0, 2.0 to 3.0, 1.0 to 2.0 and below 1.0.

3. I will interested to see if someone wants to break up their state according to whatever ranking system one chooses to use.

This could be another tool into deciding which state has the best courses.

I would tackle this task myself but I need to get a hair cut. Actually once a standard is set, I might consider trying to do my state of Washington. Everyone knows my standards of excellence in disc courses is set quite low

I don't think it is his home state (NC) but last I looked, Discgolfcraig had not only played all but a few course in South Carolina, he has reviewed nearly all of them. Well done!!

Latest posts