• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is a Winter Discer?

Do you play winter disc golf?

• Yes!

Votes: 104 77.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • I've done it a few times, but not alot

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, another Southerner here screwing up the poll. The sunlight shortage is the real winter issue here, but that'll be over soon.

Rain or shine for me. Gonna be 69 degrees and sunny this weekend :) Thank you global warming.

It's the heat someone stole from the eastern half of the U.S. The least you can do is thank us, too.

New England Team Challenge runs October-March. 3 Divisions. Promotion and Relegation for Top and Bottom 2 teams.

^^^ this ... loved playing team challenge as a rookie this year for Team Cranbury in the A Pool. Big time players = big time improvement in skills. Great camaraderie too playing in extreme cold, lots of snow, but always amazing food and beer.

"Real" disc golfers live in New England (CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME) and in the midwest (IA, MN, MI, OH). Someone else posted that the best thing about winter is no douches. Here in CT we say "Poseurs go Home" ...

Last year was way better for winter golf, top layer of snow stayed crusty from January to March, and almost no one lost discs. This year has been tougher as the amount of powder has been pretty constant. But we're looking at a week of 40-50 degree weather all week, so CT maybe out of the crosshairs finally.

Last point ... playing in multiple layers means decreased mobility and loss of distance, and an increased focus of shot placement and making (ie: disc manipulation). Most winter players see a measurable distance increase come spring time.

Yeah, another Southerner here screwing up the poll. The sunlight shortage is the real winter issue here, but that'll be over soon.

+1

In Georgia I prefer winter disc golf to summer. The extending of daylight savings time has made early spring and late fall the best time of year for disc golf.

I love golf in the Winter. There is at least one course around here (Warriors Path) which is so crowded it is basically unplayable anytime after noon on a Summer weekend. In the Winter I can play anytime I want. In fact, last Saturday I played it in 4" of snow/slush and had a blast. The only people I ran into on the entire course were a couple who I think started at least an hour before me. The young lady was insisting on using her white driver. Needless to say, they were spending a good amount of time hunting for that disc.

I play all year round! Mississippi does not have a winter like the northern states do. I think our coldest day we have had since the first of the year was mid 30's for the daytime high.

Normally Mississippi winter is just cool(er) and rainy. We get little snow, hardly any ice, and maybe a few nights where the lows fall into the upper teens.

That is our reward for living in the heat for the other nine months of the year :D. Our summers, especially July, August, and early September can see 100 degree air temp days coupled with 90%+ humidity. You sweat just walking outside to get in your car to go to work every morning :gross:.

Can't afford not to play, winter is half the year in IA/MN/WI/MI.

Latest posts