• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why a "Backpack" Style bag?

Stemplejg

Par Member
I haven't been playing very long, and I started with an A-typical starter bag, and then moved to the Innova DISCarrier Bag w/ Innova Backpack Strap's. With that being said, why the backpack style bag? Is it a personal preference kind of thing, or is it just a fad thing?

I don't have a backpack style bag, but I was just thinking about this.

Aside with being a huge fad (it is, don't lie) they are more comfortable than a bag with straps, and GRIP bags are near indestructible.

Still, I use a regular bag because I prefer them over a backpack. I think my bag with straps is plenty comfortable, it's not like I have terrible back pain after a day of golf. I can understand if maybe I had back issues, but I don't.

Also, I can carry more discs in a regular bag than a backpack (at least a GRIP bag). I carry 20-23 discs in my Innova bag, but my friends with GRIPS can barely carry 16-18.

Its a comfort thing for me. The disccarrier with straps keeps all the weight on your lower back, which can be a drag after a long round. the backpack style bags sit higher on your back and shoulders more - allows your legs to carry the weight better.

more comfortable, i converted my backpack in to a bag and it's way more comfortable than any old style bag with straps.

Makes your bag feel a lot lighter and for me with back proablems, a backpack style saves my back from pain after playing all day. I used to have innova bag, voodoo bag and revolution Carolina bag, then got grip and will never go back to a non backpack bag again. I just like how it fits on you better and feels.

Also backpack bags are a lot better waterproof.

Makes your bag feel a lot lighter and for me with back proablems, a backpack style saves my back from pain after playing all day. I used to have innova bag, voodoo bag and revolution Carolina bag, then got grip and will never go back to a non backpack bag again. I just like how it fits on you better and feels.

Also backpack bags are a lot better waterproof.

I think the waterproof issue is just about the largest part. I have a FADE with Weathergard straps, and even after a decent soaking the water will start to leak through onto my discs where a back pack bag is more resilient there. Also, I personally like the look of back pack style bags better (main reason that my next bag is gonna be back pack style).

EDIT: Double Eagle Member, WOOH!!! (1k posts)

i think comfort is a big part of it.

i have a mahal so it's sort of a hybrid of a backpack comfort and standard bag accessibility which is great.

I used to come back after a tourney round and have upper neck/shoulder soreness with my Innova Bag with Quad Shocks. With the grip - I feel fine. Also - I love the convenience of the putter being up higher as well as picking it up from the top handle.

They're definitely more comfortable. Well, at least my Grip is more comfortable than any of my Innova bags and Quads were. It wasn't that those bags were uncomfortable necessarily, just that they sat so low and so loose that I never liked how much they swayed and bounced when I walked. Just jog downhill a little bit to know what I mean. Since the Grip rides higher and tighter, I don't have that issue anymore.

For example, my Innova deluxe bag with my current setup felt recently heavy when I had it on, whereas my new grip feels great when I have it on, same discs and supplies. The weight is distributed to stronger parts of your body or something. I had a Revo dual pack and hyper extended my thumb twice using it, the thinner straps would hook my thumb where the grip straps seem to hook more hand than thumb.

The only reason I pre-ordered the Physical Flight Contender is because they have gone above and beyond other companies efforts in making a back that is better on your lower back.
I am switching from a tourney style bag with backpack style straps.

they are definitely less comfortable, and so much heavier than the traditional style with quad shocks. get a voodoo or a gorilla boy or a revolution bag. backpack bags are too awkward to put on and take off as well.

Its a comfort thing for me. The disccarrier with straps keeps all the weight on your lower back, which can be a drag after a long round. the backpack style bags sit higher on your back and shoulders more - allows your legs to carry the weight better.

^this - good backpack is more ergonomic. Sits higher up and doesn't feel as heavy as the same amount of weight on quads. The more stuff you carry, the more you appreciate it. I had a Fade Tourney with quadshocks for a couple of years - can't knock the bag, but much happier with my backpack.

Plus, more storage for layers, food/snack, etc.

they are definitely less comfortable, and so much heavier than the traditional style with quad shocks. get a voodoo or a gorilla boy or a revolution bag. backpack bags are too awkward to put on and take off as well.
Some might be, but I think that depends on the back pack and how its set up. I find mine to be more comfortable, especially on long, multi-round days. And there's no denying that it's more ergonomic to shift the weight up from your lower back.

Last edited:

I have broad shoulders so taking off a pack over and over seems like a chore...I guess for all you narrow shouldered guys it's less of a hassle

I think it's a comfort thing, as well as aesthetics. To me, although I have a FADE tourney bag, a GRIP bag looks wonderful. There's also the fact that a backpack will sit up higher on the ground, thus giving you better access to your putters as well as making you bend over less to pick up your bag.

Golf Mahal should be here any day. For me, it's about my health. I have enough problems with my back as it is. Backpack styles ride "righter" in terms of posture etc..

after 2 4+hr rounds of tourny golf and even longer just beats your lower back up.. Grip bag for sure will save ya for your final push on sundays