• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why a "Backpack" Style bag?

I carry 23 in my Cabela XPG: 20 on the bottom (5 mids,15 drivers) plus 3 in the "putter pocket" (2 putters and a Beast). Could fit more in the upper compartment if I wanted to, but 23 discs is more than enough, and I prefer to leave the top for storage. Love it! Plenty of capacity, plus storage, and more comfortable than my Fade Tourney with Phenix Quad shocks. The longer my day, the more I appreciate it.

I'm a HUGE fan of the converted Cabela's bag. I don't need to carry anymore than 14 or 15 discs, so I made my frame so I could fit 13 discs on the bottom and put 2 discs in the "putter pocket" (my go-to driver and my putter).

It's got tons of storage up top, and the bag just rides so nicely.

I had a Fade Crunch previously, and I as much as I loved that bag, I love my Cabela's XPG ten times more.

I am sure that my Osprey 30l backpack is better than any disc golf backpack. Not to mention it is made to take a whooping and comes with a raincover.Why don't more people use this as an option?

I am sure that my Osprey 30l backpack is better than any disc golf backpack. Not to mention it is made to take a whooping and comes with a raincover.Why don't more people use this as an option?

probably one of the following:
a) they don't like the way it suits their needs.
b) they don't know about it.

I seriously considered regular back pack, and looked at several at Cabelas, REI, and Gander Mountain... not saying you couldn't make one work, but I didn't think they gave truly easy acces to a well organized stash of discs, like a decent DG back pack does. If you're happy with what your Osprey does for you, then you're doing alright.

I've got a backpack style bag on pre-order right now, so maybe I'll be able to attest to why it's a worthwhile choice...or maybe I won't and I'll be making a marketplace post...(I really hope it's awesome, though!)

I hope that works out for you!

Me too. I just have a cheapy FADE tourney right now, and it's trying to fall apart on me. It's not even old yet! I decided to try a "quality" bag and see what all the hubbub was about.

Me too. I just have a cheapy FADE tourney right now, and it's trying to fall apart on me. It's not even old yet! I decided to try a "quality" bag and see what all the hubbub was about.

That sucks that your bag is falling apart! I love my bag however, I haven't touched it since Sept. It was still in great shape then!

I just got a Mystery Ranch Golf Mahal. I must say it is one well made bag. I haven't had a chance yet to take it out on the course. I had a Gateway Ozark which is a good bag for the $. I went the backpack route mainly because 2-3x a year I go on DG Vacations. We cram in as many rounds as possible each day and the backpack definitely takes some of the fatigue away. Also when you're out from Sunrise to Sunset you can stash more items in it you might want during the day.

I'll just stick to my 8 year old Revolution Carolina. The backpack bags are more comfortable but in the hot summers we have here they will make your back sweat really bad. Plus I don't even fill my Revolution up so a backpack for me would just be overkill. I only carry 13 discs max including my three putters.

I love Opsrey; I use a Stratos 24 instead of a briefcase, and I have a bigger one that I use as a daypack. I don't see how they could be used as discgolf bags though. I would love to be proven wrong, but only the largest (50l+) bags have front zippers, and they also don't stand up on their own like a legitimate DG bag.

Backpack bags hold more beer. What else needs to be said?

This is really the only reason I bought the Golf Mahal. I can carry my discs, a good assortment of stuff I might need on the course (flashlight, cigs, small med kit, some towels, etc) and enough beer to last me 1-2 rounds.

And even loaded up, it rides comfortably with little stress on my back.