• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why a "Backpack" Style bag?

it's all been said, comfort and rain resistance, etc. my back pain went away after i got my grip

I can play a lot longer before getting tired

backpack style

i dont blame voodoo they just want a slice of the pie, wait and see in the next few years how much the sales go down in traditional bags as apposed to backpack style bags you will see them everywhere in the future as they are the future, but i still love my small innova bag for when i play short courses

I had starter bag for 2 years, then a innova comp for 3 years, been with voodoo the last two they make the best non backpack bag. i recently just switch to a mahal. It's all preference but I did notice the better the bag the less tired I would get and the more I could play. If you have the money or disc golf ALOT go all out. Well worth the money.

I'm fine with my Fade tourney w/ Phoenix Quads. I only carry 13-15 discs, including putters. The quads do a really good job of not allowing the bag to bounce around on my back and distributing the weight evenly. Maybe in a couple years when my Fade is close to it's final days I'll start looking in to a backpack style bag, but right now I'm good.

It seems backpacks are more ergonomic or at least that is what i am told but for me to shell out 200$ for one probably won't happen when I can pay 45-50$ for something that does the same thing. My fade tourney with the fade straps with the rain cover does great so I will stick with that for now. I do believe though if I was playing tourney's every weekend I would have to go with a backpack.

I love mine for all of the extra room that I have in the bag. With the normal bags, I felt like I didn't have any space for anything extra. Now, for tournaments, I can carry an umbrella, stool, sweatshirt, 2 or 3 bottles of water, snacks, extra discs, first aid kit, hockey puck, wallet, cell phone, and keys and still have my back not too sore at the end of the day.

I was content with my Innova Comp bag when I played a lot of solo rounds. But there were some days when I would play 36-72 holes and I would get shoulder and neck pain, not to mention some lower back pain as well. Wasn't a major problem by any stretch, but discomfort and aches do take some of the fun out of it.

When I joined a league and started playing tourneys I opted to step up to a backpack style bag for better support and comfort. Also like that I could easily attach a stool and umbrella as leagues/tourney pace is much slower than solo play pace. The added storage was nice as well, being able to pack for a 12 hour day if needed. I also love that the body pain issues are pretty much nonexistent now and I can enjoy the entire day on the course.

Probably didn't hurt that I am an avid camper/hiker who has always used a normal backpack for day hikes and camping trips, so I think it was just a natural progression for me. So when the tax lady told me Uncle Sam was kicking me back some big bucks this year, I opted to take the plunge and treat myself to a backpack style bag. Very happy with my choice.

For me, it's a comfort issue. I am 5'-6" and the bag with straps just rode too low on my back/tailbone. Maybe taller people don't have that problem?

I switched to a Revo dual pack because it was the only option when my back was screaming for a change around '08.

Then I purchased a Grip in 2011. Very happy with my current bag.

My Grip bag holds fewer discs, and has less storage space than my Innova bag. However, I love the Grip bag. For casual rounds the benefit of the ergonomics is not as pronounced. But I play 15+ tournaments a year. During tournament play you have the bag on your back for easily 8 hours or more. For those long days the ergonomics of the Grip bag make a huge difference.

I think the waterproof issue is just about the largest part. I have a FADE with Weathergard straps, and even after a decent soaking the water will start to leak through onto my discs where a back pack bag is more resilient there. Also, I personally like the look of back pack style bags better (main reason that my next bag is gonna be back pack style).

EDIT: Double Eagle Member, WOOH!!! (1k posts)

I've used a FADE tournament bag with the Weathergaurd straps for the last 3 years. I take any "waterproof" claim with a little skepticism so I sprayed the rain fly and exterior of bag (including the bottom) with waterproofing spray. I have played a few all-day tournaments in heavy rain and my discs stayed perfectly dry.

It is a comfortable bag and I can play weekend tournaments without any back pain ( I usually carry 16-18 discs + 2 32oz water bottles). Maybe someday I'll spring for a $200 backpack-style rig, but I'm perfectly content using my $80 setup for the next couple of years.

I'm moving to a backpack for two reasons; more rain-resistant and a more stable distribution of weight. It rained for the first 6 hours of our Ice Bowl. I had to use a ton of towels to try to keep everything dry in my Innova Competition bag. Rain continued to get into bag (even when protecting it with an umbrella and flap). A member of my group with a backpack only had to dry discs that were thrown, everything in the bag stayed bone dry without using an umbrella. I'm even more concerned with getting a backpack to more ergonomically carrying the weight of the bag. I also severely sprained my ankle a few months ago when jumping down off of rock formation during a round. The load in my traditional bag shifted during the jump and wrecked my balance causing the sprain. I think a backpack would have reduced this risk.

I'm suprised no one has said this yet (at least not that I read)

STORAGE SPACE!!!!

My DualPack has ridiculous amounts of storage that my Innova Competition just didnt. There is the huge upper pocket (which can also fit about 10-12 discs if I'm feeling froggy) as well as two smaller pockets on the side for minis, gum, keys, phone, whatever...and a pocket underneath for pencils and markers.

And it is a lot more comfortable for me. I'm only 29, but I've been in the military (Infantry to boot) since I was 19, and my body has taken a pounding. Couple that with years of football, wrestling, weight lifting, etc...

I'll admit: I got mine because of the fad. But I hope this is one fad that doesn't die out. I can't see myself going back to a non-backpack bag anytime soon.

My Grip bag holds fewer discs, and has less storage space than my Innova bag. However, I love the Grip bag. For casual rounds the benefit of the ergonomics is not as pronounced. But I play 15+ tournaments a year. During tournament play you have the bag on your back for easily 8 hours or more. For those long days the ergonomics of the Grip bag make a huge difference.

I should note too, the difference was not related to back or shoulder pain. With my Innova bag, I never had any issues with pain from the bag. But with the Grip bag, I feel far less fatigued at the end of a long tournament day.

I've had my backpack for 8 years now. That's quite the lengthy "fad."

I got it because I got as much storage as I'd get with an equally expensive bag (actually more disc space than most of the other bags that cost just as much at the time) and the straps were included rather than costing an extra $40. Plus I get all of the extra storage on top of the discs to store extra DG stuff while I'm not using it.

I had a fade bag with Lat64 straps and it didnt feel like a true backback. Weight was too low, and the straps when carried on one shoulder had more swing and less stability than my grip. I'm a massage therapist so for me its all about ergonomics. You only get one body to walk through this life with so the more time you spend taking care of it and listening to it the longer it will last. :thmbup:

I tossed around the backpack idea for a while after having quad shock and a innova deluxe bag. After i seen Mashnut's Simian in person and testing it out , i knew it was a matter of time. That being said i am a traveling player and the simian is great fro holding a day or two worth of snacks plus a hoodie/rain jacket,hat, gloves and countless other things plus two huge water bottle holder it easily holds my 40oz Kleen kanteen. Plus it doubles as a stool.

i have a GB Chimp with fade straps, a Fade Tourney with Gelz, and a hyzer bomb demo backpack (the small one with the cooler on bottom $65).

The hyzer bomb when loaded with 13 discs, 7 cans of beer, and an ice pack is leaps and bounds more comfortable than my other two bags. It's all about weight distribution across your back. Standard/normal disc golf bags were originally designed to sling over your shoulder and hang low.

I have a Grip bag. I'll never go back to a traditional bag and straps combo.

*It's easier to put on and take off.

*Sits higher on your back and gives you a better center of gravity.

*Less parts to break.

*Leaves me less tired after a round.

*Fits 20 discs comfortably with room for more.

*Bag doesn't get wet when setting it on the ground.

*Rain fly prevents contents of bag from getting wet while still providing access to the discs.