• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are NutSacs so pricey?

Rugball

Birdie Member
Seriously, they're $45-$75 for the single and double versions.

After I started gathering my handful of assorted discs, I found a small messenger style bag by Timbuk2 that had been marked down to < $20 from $55. Since I was in Dick's Sporting Goods, I grabbed a disc off the shelf to test the fit. It's a stylin' dark gray with contrasting beige stripe down the middle. They make great bags in general, and this one is light and not much wider than a disc, but will hold up to 7 discs. Plus it has several pockets for scorecards, keys, etc. The flap velcros shut so it's easy to open/close and I often throw with it hanging across my back.

Any comments on what you all carry in the smallish range are welcome. I see plenty of peeps with the larger tourney bags, but I'm trying to keep to a more minimalist style of DG, and not carry more than 5-7 discs so this is working out really well.

i have a gorilla boy spidermonkey i think it is. it holds 10 discs and has a bottle holder and one good sized pocket for crap. really nice bag but i deffenitly wouldnt buy one right now cause you wont get it for about 6 months and the rate things are going

Because people buy them at that price. Which may or may not have something to do with the name...

Pretty whack if you ask me

Timbuk 2 bags are sweet. I have a messenger bag I use for school. It is near indestructible and has lasted a long time. I love em...

I've struggled with this lately myself. I feel like the NutSac is a paradox -

On one hand, it promotes a simple style of play, where you don't need a lot of discs or to carry a lot of stuff in a bag fancy bag. It embraces the care-free side of disc golf as a leisurely sport. It's not the gear that's important, it's having fun.

Yet on the other hand, the NutSac costs more than a beginner bag that holds a similar amount of discs. You still have to buy an expensive bag to make it look like you don't need an expensive bag.

Now, something can be said for "Made in America" workmanship and getting what you pay for. But in the end, I feel like the NutSac sells an image more than anything.

But don't get me wrong, I still kind of want one :eek:

I bought one because I like the design. Canvas wears really well and lasts damn near forever. And I found a sale on Amazon so I got it for $35! Then I made myself a bag to snap onto it, and have the NutSac for Drivers, and my knockoff for Putt/Approach discs, and whatever I pickup along the way.

Because people like a moron friend of mine bought 4! Yes, count 'em 4! Each size, each color. What a lunatic. Seriously, do the math.

I have one and actually fit 4 drivers a mid and a putter in it. I am lucky my local course has water available all over the course so I don't need a water bottle holder. I will say I think I might be getting something that has more storage for when I go out of town to a course I am not familiar with.

Because people like a moron friend of mine bought 4! Yes, count 'em 4! Each size, each color. What a lunatic. Seriously, do the math.

WTF?!?! I'd rather spend the $$ on more plastic.

Any favorites or alternative bags people found? Again, keeping it in the < 10 disc size range.

OP said:
I found a small messenger style bag by Timbuk2 that had been marked down to < $20 from $55. Since I was in Dick's Sporting Goods, I grabbed a disc off the shelf to test the fit. It's a stylin' dark gray with contrasting beige stripe down the middle. They make great bags in general, and this one is light and not much wider than a disc, but will hold up to 7 discs. Plus it has several pockets for scorecards, keys, etc. The flap velcros shut so it's easy to open/close and I often throw with it hanging across my back.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Definitely better (and more price conscious) than a ballsac bag. :|

ewb said:
Timbuk 2 bags are sweet. I have a messenger bag I use for school. It is near indestructible and has lasted a long time. I love em...

I might have to look into these as a smaller bag option. I've got a GB squirrel monkey, but it's a bit clunky for a "smaller bag." More a mid-sized kinda bag. A messenger style bag is intriguing because of the mobility factor.

Material?

I have one, and I also own Carhart clothes for work. It is made of the same material and neither are cheap. They both do last forever though. Just because someone buys a higher quality item doesn't make them yuppies BTW. The bags are good for what they are, they are the only thing that fills their target of minimalism and are made of a material that will last a long time. Having a properly made product means that return business will be lower so therefore the initial cost will be more but the savings to the consumer come in time.

i.e. If you go through 4 beginner bags in the same time I go through one Nutsac, I would have saved 45 bucks over what you spent. (35 for my nutsac to 80 for the four beginner bags). Value versus price are two different things.

I do not work for them either.

Me and my father-in-law both have one and we love them. It's just the right size. I keep 7 discs in it, (Beast, Valkyrie, Mako, Groove, Leopard, Viper, Avair). It's lightweight, durable as hell and a handy little pocket on the front for my marker disc and such. Was it expensive, Yes. Is it worth it, Yes. Would I get one again, Yes. Personally, I couldn't find a good enough reason to carry more than 7 discs anyhow. It fits our playing style perfectly. Oh, and NO I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. I sell HVAC.

Latest posts