• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why can't I throw stable drivers?

Thank you to everyone who has posted constructive feedback. I think I've narrowed it down to the wide lip and the fact that I think I was throwing my anhyzer on the wrong arm angle. I think I might throw hyzer flips with the valkyrie until I get better.

And to jesus...anytime you're in CO, I'd be happy to show you my 380' TL.

I'm telling you man. Elite-Z Surge SS or find a nicely beat-in Star Wraith...there was actually a nicely beat-in Champ Wraith in the the trading section of this forum you might want to check out. New Wraiths just don't have that tight S curve (at least for my power level) that a beat-in Wraith or a Surge SS has. And the new Wraith also fades a lot harder at the end of its flight so it's pretty much impossible for me to get a "straight" flight out of a new Wraith.

My new ESP Surge is giving me some nice tight S-curves right out of the box for a ~325' or so (I underestimate my distance due to variance in elevation, for the record).

t40483593.gif

Sorry. Had to use the gif.

overstable-------stable------understable

If you say something is more stable it is moving to the middle.

You could say it is more OVERstable and that would move it to the left.

Ever since I learned this I have become hyper aware of how often people use the expression "more stable" or "less stable" to compare discs in this forum. Most of the time when this is done I don't know if they really mean "more overstable", "less overstable", "more understable", or "less understable". Referencing the drawing above, a disc can only exist within the dashes, and since there are 2 sets of dashes, describing a disc as "more" or "less" stable does not indicate which set of dashes the disc belongs in.

saying a disc is more or less stable does make since , but most people use the terms incorrectly.

Wouldn't it only make sense if it is used to compare 2 discs within the same set of dashes, and then only if that is understood by all parties?

Although even then my main problem with the use of "more stable" or "less stable" is that I am never sure if the person using it is using it correctly or not.

Wouldn't it only make sense if it is used to compare 2 discs within the same set of dashes, and then only if that is understood by all parties?

Although even then my main problem with the use of "more stable" or "less stable" is that I am never sure if the person using it is using it correctly or not.

It would even help if the disc companies used the same terms to describe their discs. While we can generally point out Overstable and Understable the descriptions of flight are seriously different.

The best way I think to learn the hyzer flip is to work with a 150g xl. For me it was the best disc to do it with. I can release the disc strait up and down, and it it flattens out nice and goes a long way.

what is the advantage of an overstable disc versus a stable one?
most holes are designed for rightanders so there are alot of hazards(o.b.s) to the right , so an overstable disc will often save you by bringing you back when you put too much an-hyzer or throw to hard.

my main reason for throwing overstable is consistency , as long as you dont grip lock you can put a whole lot of juice on it and even if the angle is off a bit you end up in about the same spot.

Thank you to everyone who has posted constructive feedback. I think I've narrowed it down to the wide lip and the fact that I think I was throwing my anhyzer on the wrong arm angle. I think I might throw hyzer flips with the valkyrie until I get better.

And to jesus...anytime you're in CO, I'd be happy to show you my 380' TL.

If you're in CO I can totally see a 380' throw with a TL. As long as you have Solid armspeed, that's very plausible. But that also might be why you are struggling with throwing longer, more stable drivers. The air in CO makes it easier to throw understable discs and harder to throw overstable discs. So if you can throw your TL 380', then I would move up to Monarchs or Valks for longer drivers. Not Wraiths (unless you get a beat one).

Skurf said it, throw a Surge SS, it's a lot easier to control, easyish to turn over but comparable to a wraith. I picked up a Surge (not SS) and a Wraith at the same time, took them both to a field and found they were almost the same disc, but the Surge was a little more forgiving.

It's now 2 years down the road, both discs are beaten in and still very similar flight patterns. I can turn either of them over, get either to do a flat straight drive.. but the Surge responds a lot better to an anhyzer release to get an s curve then the wraith.

Short answer check out a Surge SS, get something that is light enough and easy enough to control weightwise and spinwise. Then you are working more towards a hyzer release to compensate for the power you can put on the disc rather than a high anhyzer thats compensating for the weight and stability of that disc.

Me the master, not the slave.

i wish i could throw 380'... I have a champ and star wraith and can get them both to flip a little and then they cut back nicely for 330' or a little more. My teebird doesn't go near that far and neither does my stalker, those max out about 300' or 280' How the heck can you not throw a wraith?

If you're in CO I can totally see a 380' throw with a TL. As long as you have Solid armspeed, that's very plausible. But that also might be why you are struggling with throwing longer, more stable drivers. The air in CO makes it easier to throw understable discs and harder to throw overstable discs. So if you can throw your TL 380', then I would move up to Monarchs or Valks for longer drivers. Not Wraiths (unless you get a beat one).

Correct! I throw a 150 Flick sometimes here in Colorado and I get that nice fade at the end. When I was throwing it at Waterworks Park in KC this summer it wanted to turn over. For the most part I have a bag full of understable discs because they are more stable here at 6,700' than they would be at sea level. Faster discs not thrown at design speed exaggerate the effect. I rarely break out anything faster than a Valk (speed 9) here.

Latest posts