• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

the comeback putt has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about. They are pros and shouldn't miss inside 30' really ever so yeah they made the comeback putts but why not the jumpers if they are so accurate? Not a one even hit chains with a chance to go in.
It has everything to do with it. Why lay up and have 0% chance of hitting it when you can run it and have >0% chance of hitting it when you're guaranteed to make the next putt either way? Anything that can increase that >0% number will give you that much better scores in the long run. Jump putts increase that number, which is why they're used.

802.4 Throwing From a Stance

B. When the disc is released, a player must:

1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,

2. Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.

I'm no expert, but jump putting seems to break this rule.

i think that's the problem-- the rules are not clear enough to consider a jump putt actually illegal or breaking any rules and like i said is why they are an issue b/c they have become an exception to the stated rule above.

Having a point in contact with your lie is pretty simple. If you jump off the ground and then release, it's a foul.

It's the same as a softball pitcher. You can't jump off the mound and then release the pitch, you have to have a foot in contact with the ground.

i think that's the problem-- the rules are not clear enough to consider a jump putt actually illegal or breaking any rules and like i said is why they are an issue b/c they have become an exception to the stated rule above.

Im going to say it again. Your Mind Is So Flawed.

Aim for the chains, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I made a jump putt on Portage Lakes #9 for the first Eagle on the toughest hole of a hard course I've ever seen in competitive play. I was 80-90' out, on a slope, between trees and my legs were tangled in vines. I nailed it.

I can run a 100' putt because I know if I miss the jump putt, the lack of spin and the hyzer angle I use from that range means I have a ten foot comeback putt if I miss.

You are both talking out of your ass, and you're being incredibly condenscending to people who play golf different than you do. "Hopping around like a toad?"

You're making yourself look like an ass. Straight up. There's no reason to talk down to people who have a different putting style than you. I hope tou don't act this immature on the course.

I'm not sure why you bolded 2, but the issue isn't that they always break 1, it's that it's difficult to tell if they do. Some people have a "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy when it comes to rules and other have an "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy. If you're one of the former then the difficulty in calling 1 would make you upset that jump putts exist. If you're the latter then they don't bother you. Most people tend to be the latter so they're allowed.

It has everything to do with it. Why lay up and have 0% chance of hitting it when you can run it and have >0% chance of hitting it when you're guaranteed to make the next putt either way? Anything that can increase that >0% number will give you that much better scores in the long run. Jump putts increase that number, which is why they're used.

you are confusing the fact that I AM NOT LAYING UP STANDSTILL THROWS...

why do you have to jump putt to run at the basket and get a higher % to go in? I see no facts to support this at all.

You % chances are made up. I have as much of a % chance to make a putt standing still as anyone else jumping at it...? No ones talking about layups here lol just that jumpers are not anymore accurate or better than a standstill shot and look silly to go with it.

LMK when there is some true stats that show a player makes more jump putts than someone who doesn't and jumpers give you a better % chance to make the comeback putt.

I'll add that I don't really care either way, but a strict enforcement of the rule would result in a foul (in most cases). It was stated earlier in this thread that releasing and then jumping wouldn't work, so I'm assuming we're talking about jumping and then releasing.

And, to be honest, if you can gain an advantage, and they're letting you do it, then knock yourself out.

Or if it's going to be generally accepted, then change the rule...which in this case, may be the prudent way to go.

Aim for the chains, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I made a jump putt on Portage Lakes #9 for the first Eagle on the toughest hole of a hard course I've ever seen in competitive play. I was 80-90' out, on a slope, between trees and my legs were tangled in vines. I nailed it.

I can run a 100' putt because I know if I miss the jump putt, the lack of spin and the hyzer angle I use from that range means I have a ten foot comeback putt if I miss.

You are both talking out of your ass, and you're being incredibly condenscending to people who play golf different than you do. "Hopping around like a toad?"

You're making yourself look like an ass. Straight up. There's no reason to talk down to people who have a different putting style than you. I hope tou don't act this immature on the course.

HAHA TRUTH

you are confusing the fact that I AM NOT LAYING UP STANDSTILL THROWS...

why do you have to jump putt to run at the basket and get a higher % to go in? I see no facts to support this at all.

You % chances are made up. I have as much of a % chance to make a putt standing still as anyone else jumping at it...? No ones talking about layups here lol just that jumpers are not anymore accurate or better than a standstill shot and look silly to go with it.

LMK when there is some true stats that show a player makes more jump putts than someone who doesn't and jumpers give you a better % chance to make the comeback putt.

I mean without being like "Hey man look at what the Super Pros do".... Look at what the Pros do. IF something REALLY worked better I.E stand and deliver more people would use it.. Right?

A properly executed jump putt, that goes in, is a thing of beauty.

Having a point in contact with your lie is pretty simple. If you jump off the ground and then release, it's a foul.

It's the same as a softball pitcher. You can't jump off the mound and then release the pitch, you have to have a foot in contact with the ground.

Exactly, anybody doing it the way you described above would be doing it wrong and illegal. You should not be in the air when the putter is released, that is doing it wrong.

Seems a good portion of the problem is the name "jump putt", which implies the jump comes before the putt. When done correctly and by the letter of the law, it would be a "putt jump" as the jump comes after the putt.

The players I have seen execute a legal putt jump all released their discs with their foot in contact with the ground and only took flight after the release of the disc. They use their momentum to propel the disc faster and make a run at the basket, the jump only comes after the release. Similar to a step-through putt, using your momentum to help propel the disc and stepping through the putt after the release. When done properly by people who know how, it fully complies with the PDGA rules.

I myself do not putt jump, prefer a more stand still motion. But I have played with people who do utilize this shot and I see nothing wrong with how they execute the shot. As long as the putt comes before the jump and/or step-through and takes place outside the circle it is fine by me.

You do realize what everyone is calling a jump putt is really a putt jump. The release occurs PRIOR to leaving the ground from your supporting point on your lie. (when performed legally by most of the top players)

So all you people who are so against jump putts, do you follow through past your line on ANY throw? From the teepad, from your fairway shot? If you do, then you are being very hypocritical. Inconsistent enforcement of rules bothers me. Do you hate the tomahawk or thumber or roller, or even FH since it's not the "normal" way of throwing.

I don't understand the arguments given. If you don't know the rules, or try to bring an analogy from somewhere else that is incorrect, i don't listen. The only semi-valid argument I know is the question of foot faults. Some folks haven't correctly learned a "jump putt" and leave the ground before their release. Call them on the fault. But most players work on this skill and do it legally, especially at the higher levels.

The person who said "If you lay up you have 0% chance of hitting the shot. If you jump putt and give yourself >0% chance, with still little risk of missing the comeback, why would you not increase your chances of hitting the shot?"...That is why I jump putt (actually more of a step through putt for me) It gives me a comfortable, accurate way of "going for it" without increasing my chances for a rough comeback if i miss. It allows me to get 30-50' more of distance in a controlled manner, with less risk of roll-away, skipping, errors than a standard BH or FH approach from short distance.

I'll add that I don't really care either way, but a strict enforcement of the rule would result in a foul (in most cases). It was stated earlier in this thread that releasing and then jumping wouldn't work, so I'm assuming we're talking about jumping and then releasing.

And, to be honest, if you can gain an advantage, and they're letting you do it, then knock yourself out.

Where did someone say that release and then jump wouldn't work? That is exactly what jump putting is. You have extra momentum behind your lie, that lets you release with more power, and that momentum continues after your release resulting in a step forward, or jump forward.....leaving the ground first then releasing is a foot fault and should be enforced.

Last edited:

Latest posts