• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people NOT know the rules?

Wow, people are taking something that should be pretty much unanimously hated and turning it into an argument. Do people really enjoy playing with other people that spend the entire round calling fake rules on them?

I think the problem is that so much information in disc golf is passed on verbally and casually that things that are clear and set get all muddied up. Most of what many people know about how to throw, strategies, how discs fly, how discs are molded and even what the rules are were told to them by some dude they met on the course. For some of that it's understandable if you don't spend time researching it elsewhere, but for the rules there's a super simple solution of just buying or printing a rule book. I think that's what makes it so annoying in this case.

If you have a ball golf background, then you have a grasp of the idea of the rules purpose, to make it a equal playing field. You play it as it lies, let the farthest person from the basket play first, and you keep it in bounds.

Then there are rules that are 'rule nazi' type, like the foot fault for example. If someone is making a 350' approach, and just taps into the marker/disc, I am never going to say anything about it, and I have seen pro's play and never say anything about a small tap of a marker/disc. Now if you step beyond the disc, YES, I am calling it.

And as Johnny pointed out, it is not just calling a rule, but the way you call it. You can tell when someone is flat out trying to cheat, and when someone is confused about the rule, or new to the game.

Last edited:
Then there are rules that are 'rule nazi' type, like the foot fault for example. If someone is making a 350' approach, and just taps into the marker/disc, I am never going to say anything about it, and I have seen pro's play and never say anything about a small tap of a marker/disc. Now if you step beyond the disc, YES, I am calling it.

And as Johnny pointed out, it is not just calling a rule, but the way you call it. You can tell when someone is flat out trying to cheat, and when someone is confused about the rule, or new to the game.

holy crap, i agree with stud muffin too!!!

If you have a ball golf background, then you have a grasp of the idea of the rules purpose, to make it a equal playing field. You play it as it lies, let the farthest person from the basket play first, and you keep it in bounds.

Yet none of that has anything to do with people calling rules that don't exist. Why make up something to argue about in a thread about something that's pretty universally disliked?

I told a guy that I'd like to take my OB shot from my previous spot. He told me that I had to take it from where it went OB. I think I told him I'd play a provisional, then didn't.

Does anyone know where I can get a waterproof rule-book?

I have the rule book & competition manual downloaded in my iPhone. If I get challenged or if they make a bogus call, I can just turn my phone on and have rule book in front of everyone in a minute or so.

Where can I download (pdf preferred) a digital copy of the rule book? I did a quick Google and a few came up, but I'd like to be sure that I'm getting the official one.

see.

Rulebook problems solved. Hooray for DGCR
we-did-it.jpg

Now if we can just incorporate the third source of rules in the rule book/competition manual we be good to go. Funny how pdga didnt include that into the hardcopy. And funny people don't believe me its okay to hold onto a tree trunk behind my lie (not moved of course) when i go to putt downhill.

Now if we can just incorporate the third source of rules in the rule book/competition manual we be good to go. Funny how pdga didnt include that into the hardcopy. And funny people don't believe me its okay to hold onto a tree trunk behind my lie (not moved of course) when i go to putt downhill.

I was called on this once. I argued I was not wrong to hold onto the tree. They said I could not touch something that extended beyond my lie. I then asked what I was supposed to do about the ground my feet were touching. :\

Latest posts