• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do you have understable discs in your bag?

The longer I play and the better I get, the more I throw understable discs. I used to have far more overstable stuff in my bag. Now I don't even carry a Firebird unless the wind is up.
I used to have (at each speed range) Massively OS/ Moderately OS, Straight Stable, Moderately Understable.
Now I have Moderately OS, Straight Stable, Moderately US, Trickshot Flippy at each speed range.

Hyzerflips and turnovers are the prettiest shots in disc golf. Learn to control your release angles and clean up your OAT.

That moment where a beat-to-understable disc turns just past flat and locks into a long straight glide is what I am daydreaming about on every drive to a DG course.
Bravo!

Do you learn to throw your Nuke's 250' or do you throw a midrange?

Do you learn to throw your stable drivers anny or do you throw an understable one?

For each range gap I throw an OS, S, and US disc. I like to release all of my shots as flat as possible.

That moment where a beat-to-understable disc turns just past flat and locks into a long straight glide is what I am daydreaming about on every drive to a DG course.

So true. Then add a tailwind, and a drive that would normally turn real hard, but instead is gliding faster and longer toward the pin, and your in double Disc Golf ecstasy.

Are these your questions, or rhetorical/research questions for the OP?

Do you learn to throw your Nuke's 250' or do you throw a midrange?

I wouldn't throw a Nuke until I was able to throw a midrange at least 250'. However, any disc can be good for any distance or type of throw depending on the circumstances. Learn to throw midranges and putters effectively, and drivers can work their way in.

Do you learn to throw your stable drivers anny or do you throw an understable one?

Again this depends on what your goal is. A stable disc, thrown anny, will eventually fade (if given enough height/time), creating an S-shaped shot. An understable disc, thrown straight, will turn right and not fade as much; the ultimate shape of the path is different. An understable disc, thrown anny (with plenty of height), would tend to hold that line for a long way. An understable disc thrown with too much anny or too low would likely turn into a roller, for better or worse. It all depends on the shot you need.

For each range gap I throw an OS, S, and US disc. I like to release all of my shots as flat as possible.

Smart plan. I have a US to OS line up for each distance range as well. In fact, if you take out putt and approach discs, I only have one repeat mold in the bag (2 Buzzz's). Knowing how to throw many different shots with many different discs turns you into a creative and formidable golfer.

I carry a Meteor, Glide, flippy XL, Heat, flippy Z Nuke and ESP Flash. Those handle most hyzer-flip or turnover shots I need.

I've also practiced my RHFH. Depends on how the shot needs to finish!

Here you go. I am saying just like you don't use a nuke to throw 250' you don't use an OS/S disc to throw left to right.

But sometimes the situation warrants it. I'll throw a Nuke for a 250' shot if I have to mash a big hyzer over some trees, or I need a RHFH shot with a big flair at the end, which midranges won't necessarily be able to accomplish.

I agree with the OS/S part, mostly; if we're talking RHBH, that make sense if the entire flight is L to R, but if it starts L to R and there's a hard left finish, I'll work an anny flex shot (or try to) with an OS/S disc. Might end up being a thing of beauty!

But sometimes the situation warrants it. I'll throw a Nuke for a 250' shot if I have to mash a big hyzer over some trees, or I need a RHFH shot with a big flair at the end, which midranges won't necessarily be able to accomplish.

I agree with the OS/S part, mostly; if we're talking RHBH, that make sense if the entire flight is L to R, but if it starts L to R and there's a hard left finish, I'll work an anny flex shot (or try to) with an OS/S disc. Might end up being a thing of beauty!

What in the hell are you talking about?

Yes, I may use a nuke for a freaking cut roller that will go a net 25'. You are missing the point.

I throw a lot more forehand shots than backhand turnovers/annys. I still bag & enjoy using understable discs. My most used understable disc is my flippy mid. It's great for standstill shots I want to finish straight & hyzer flips in the woods. I like throwing understable discs lightly with lots of hyzer. They finish left (RHBH) but have "forward fade". I can throw farther backhand than sidearm. So on very long shots that need to finish right, I need my flippy Destroyer. I feel much more consistent throwing with hyzer than flat (especially on straight shots). So I like hyzer flipping flippy discs. One of my favorite shots in disc golf is throwing my beat Champion Teebird on a hyzer. It flips up to flat & stays laser straight throughout its entire flight, with little to no fade at the end. Plus when there is OB/water on the right I prefer the backhand anny/turnover. If I throw a sidearm in that situation there's the chance that I the disc skips too much & I go OB. I still use stable/overstable discs for a majority of my sidearm shots. I'm working on being able to flick understable discs consistently. I know once I get it down it will help out my game a lot.

Do you carry any understable discs in your bag? If so, how many and why?

I'm interested to see how you guys use them.
The following move in and out of my bag depending on the course and wind (always in have an *):
Blowfly II*
Z Comet*
N Inspire (light)
Star Leopard (heavy)
N Amp
StarLite RR (light)
Star RR (heavy)
Star Dart and Polecat are honorable mentions--neutral, but hold an anny line.

-The Comet, Inspire, and Roadrunners for BH hyzerflips. (FH, too, but I also can flip the Amp and Leopard, as well as Valkyries FH.)
-Generally they all help my noodle arm with distance.
-The Amp, Blowfly II, and Leopard for straight shots that are too far for the Polecat, Mako, Axis, or Star Dart.
-For shots like others mentioned that need to go right, but don't work well for FH. An example of this is hole I played a couple of weeks ago. Black Butte DGC's Hole 1 (Shingletown, CA) is about 200' and around to the right. I flicked a Resistor, trying to hyzer it a bit because of the shorter distance. It went straight too far, but fortunately I was rescued by some tree branches that knocked it down into the fairway, though outside of my putting range. So I tried the Star Dart on an anhyzer and landed about 15' from the basket.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=2635&mode=media#
I used to think that FH and Anhyzer were relatively interchangable, but have learned better.
-Get out of trouble shots where I am too close to a barrier to flick, but can sweep up and over on an anhyzer. The Comet and Blowfly II are the main discs for these.
-I am learning rollers, and the Comet works well for some middle range rollers on hard pack. RR's are good for rollers, too, but I have not learned that very well yet.

15056489_995797260546632_1045398142164117512_n.jpg

Literally just saw this on FB