• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

I have to admit my boyfriend introduced me to it (for shame!). I had heard of it but never knew much about it until we started dating. But, I quickly became addicted and I play on my own as well as with him. I also play a few other sports and I am not interested in malls whatsoever ;p

Welcome to DGCR Rachel!
I don't think there's any shame in being introduced to the sport by a boyfriend. That's probably how most of us women found ourselves on the course. That's how I got started. I'd never even heard of it before that guy.

Maybe that's the easy answer to this question. Disc golf just isn't out in the public eye enough for women to know it's an option. It's not on TV like practically every other sport, so you don't stumble across it and think "That looks like fun". Most of us (male and female) probably started the same way. We knew someone who threw and they invited us along.

That will never happen...guys will always make fun of the guys who are outdriven...you will just be considered one of the guys...and might already be.

Welcome!

for sure :) good natured ribbing is a big part of guy culture.

I was surprised when my girlfriends little sisters knew about DG. They found out because their high school was teaching students DG in gym!! I would done that over the 10 times I "learned" how to play badminton.

My gf is up to 230 feet on her drives, with a new champion orc (with a bubble in the rim). She is now out-throwing my buddies.

Sweet.

My wife really loves disc golf , I just can't get her to play. She loves watching it though. Go figure.

Saw a couple today. I think the closer the course is to a college, the more likely you will see women and nonwhites playing.

Saw a couple today. I think the closer the course is to a college, the more likely you will see women and nonwhites playing.

No necessarily. There is a course in Houston that is right behind (walking distance) to the University Of Houston main campus, and its 99% white playing, and that University is quite mixed. Not to mention that the course is located right off MLK Blvd so the area is quite urban.

Were they alone? (that's a creepy question out of context)

No it was two gals with 4 guys. 2 of the guys were black actually, they all seemed pretty cool if kinda newish to the sport. Let me and my bro play through, they thought I was Mr Pro with my bag and compression bandage I wear on my arm to prevent the tendons from aching. This was at Southern Community park, Carrboro NC. Nice little course, I gave it a fairly solid review:D

No necessarily. There is a course in Houston that is right behind (walking distance) to the University Of Houston main campus, and its 99% white playing, and that University is quite mixed. Not to mention that the course is located right off MLK Blvd so the area is quite urban.

Hence I said "think" and "more likely" MidnightBiker my man, I forgive you this time. I didn't even point out your grammar error.;)

No it was two gals with 4 guys. 2 of the guys were black actually, they all seemed pretty cool if kinda newish to the sport. Let me and my bro play through, they thought I was Mr Pro with my bag and compression bandage I wear on my arm to prevent the tendons from aching. This was at Southern Community park, Carrboro NC. Nice little course, I gave it a fairly solid review:D

Hence I said "think" and "more likely" MidnightBiker my man, I forgive you this time. I didn't even point out your grammar error.;)

Sorry, I didn't read it well. Plus you have a point. I am only looking at one campus. Others might be different. Sorry, I didn't mean to jump the gun on this one.

Sorry, I didn't read it well. Plus you have a point. I am only looking at one campus. Others might be different. Sorry, I didn't mean to jump the gun on this one.

We all do it, hard to get to Eagle status if you don't. At least we have guns to jump.:confused:

We all do it, hard to get to Eagle status if you don't. At least we have guns to jump.:confused:

Old figure of speech. It comes from people in Track And Field events who try to take off before the "Starter Pistol" goes off. Hence the term " Jumping the gun". Its another way of saying "jumping to conclusions" or "putting my foot in my mouth".

Old figure of speech. It comes from people in Track And Field events who try to take off before the "Starter Pistol" goes off. Hence the term " Jumping the gun". Its another way of saying "jumping to conclusions" or "putting my foot in my mouth".

Oh yeah, I should have known that one. Sorry, I'm too filled with rage at a bad reviewer right now to think properly.

Hey, I'm a girl and I like to play! Gotta admit that I'm a total newbie and I pretty much suck at this point, but I'm enjoying learning how to play. My first time out was NOT successful (ended up taking a disc straight to the nose on the sixth hole and making a trip to the ER for the broken nose), but I've since played several rounds and now even own some of my own discs!

As for why there aren't more women players, well, honestly, I don't know the answer. I think it's probably for a variety of reasons. Yes, my boyfriend did get me involved, but I'd been intrigued by the sport for several years -- just hadn't ever played.

I think it's because DG is a relatively young sport, was somewhat a fringe sport but now has come much more to the forefront of late (unless that is just from a DG'ers point of view) I see a good number of women out there playing these days but nothing in the 50% range.

I wouldn't say I see 50% of ball golfers being women either. I think that the PDGA has a lot to do with it, but also has a lot of opportunity to really market to women in the future. Most of the women that play in my groups can hold their own. They usually school me and I am talking about places like Manor and Circle C.

I'm a women and I play. In Michigan around the Ann Arbor area there seems to be quite a few. When I first started in 03 it was a total sausage fest but now since the sport is way more popular around here, every time I go out I see other women. I'm usually the only chick playing by myself though. I've only seen a women only group once. Usually if there is a women playing there's a few dudes and one chick. I really hate seeing a couple guys playing and the women just watching but whatever, their loss I guess.

I haven't played any tourny's so I don't know what it's like but I've read that it's $20 cheaper for women to enter and play.

Also that disc golf michigan book was written by a women pro from the murder mitten.

I don't know why more women don't play. It seems like that's how it goes for most sports.

I started last weekend and had a blast so I made my girlfriend go with me on Tuesday. She's hooked now too, we had a good time. She can throw the beast really well so I bought her an i-dye beast and a pink birdie putter last night. My mom wants to try it too. When we were playing last weekend I saw plenty of females playing, lots of couples.

Why don't more women play disc golf? Beats me, I love it.

Maybe it's the sexist attitude from the guys, as evident by some of the replies here. I understand the thought behind "joking" sexism, but it gets old real quick. Maybe it's the thought that all women that play disc golf are lesbians (usually extends to all women in any sport, and goes along with the sexism thing). I've read the forums about guys thinking dg is "gay" or that all discers are stoners, and seen you guys get all defensive. Generalizations suck don't they.

Tamahawk hit on a good point when he mentioned the frustration of not being able to throw very far. When I first started I was zig-zagging across the fairway, short throw after short throw. I was probably 40 over par by the end. But, I enjoyed being out in the woods (points for bayouace) and that's probably what got me to go again.

And Jeremy, I think you got it right when you mentioned the guys over-coaching driving us away. I joined up with a man and his wife a few weeks ago, as soon as she chose her disc for a hole he would start "Why do you want to go left?" and on and on. You could see she was getting frustrated and her game showed it. I wanted to punch him in the neck, and he wasn't even talking to me.

So, you want to get more women on the course. Go out one on one, don't throw her in with all your guy friends right away. Check your sexism at the first tee. Be supportive without being condescending. Give her a few pointers at the beginning and then make sure she knows you're available for questions or advice if and when she wants it. Remind her that disc golf, like ball golf is very much a game you play against yourself. Anytime I shave points off my average, I count that as a win. I still haven't thrown par on that course where I shot 40 over. But now, I've got a consistent 200' drive, and I'm averaging 7 over on that course. I feel pretty good about that.

that's what my wife says. She gets embarrassed when she throws and feels a lot of pressure when she's out there. Not a very fun experiences for her. I think guys put to much pressure on their ladies and they would rather do something they are comfortable doing then play. I know she also likes that one day a week where she has time to herself and I can hang out with my friends.

Latest posts